2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I don’t think people that joined in the last ~5 years understand and I completely get why.

The early Hextall years had @Striiker posting We Are Witnesses Nike/Hextall memes in every trade thread. There’s no determination to be miserable.
Yep. It's why I said something to a new poster awhile back about backreading. Not that I expect anyone to comb through posts from years ago, but if you did, you'd find plenty of positivity and hope here. I can't blame folks for having that systematically beaten out of them by the org seeming to continue with the same flawed mindset despite different coaches and GMs.

I only started posting here a couple years ago, but I've been perusing this board since ~2013. I actually did make an account back then and posted a couple times. For shits and giggles, I tried to see if could find them. I never did, but did read some posts from way back, and yea, there was plenty of hope for the future back then.

The "negativity" on this board didn't happen overnight, nor was it born out of some agenda to confirm pre-held negative bias about the team. As you said, I think most here would be happy with a clear plan and direction, regardless of wins and losses in any given season. Unfortunately, it's hard to believe they aren't still doing the "rebuild on the fly, while staying competitive" thing. And we've seen the results of that strategy for years now.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
Saying this without checking it out first could not be a better example of why you keep being told your thoughts are incomplete. It’s usually only the top few players in a draft.

But again, you’ll just stomp your feet and blame it on the decline of Batting Average as a stat or something. Anything but stopping to think.
Lucas sbvisa says hi :sarcasm:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm happy b/c I think they have a clear plan, the first time in almost a decade.

They're not spending assets to be competitive (unless you consider the Seeler and Hathaway contracts to be similar to the JVR and Hayes contracts).

Briere is on track for (6) 1st and (6) 2nd rd picks his first three years - the key is these players will arrive closer together, instead of spread over five years like Hextall.

Don't know if what they're doing will work but it's a young team with lots of assets to be added this summer.

Comes down to how players develop and how they use those picks this summer.

If they are deep and have above average goaltending, they can compete for a Cup with only Michkov as their "superstar." One top 20 scorer, with 6-7 top 100 scorers is more than enough offense if they're above average defensively.

From what I've seen around the league, you can build using various approaches and none are guaranteed to succeed. Comes down to execution.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Live in your self-loathing world if you choose, up to you bud. You’ll be right there on the bandwagon saying you always believed if Michkov turns the franchise around. Lmao, I never said they’re perfect, I even said it’s a dumpster fire; but there are reasons to be positive and some of you are some consumed by loathing it’s insane.
What a weird thing to say because I've not said one negative thing about Michkov. Id be elated if he was good enough to make the team relevant again. Picking him is the one good thing theyve managed to do in the past 10 years. You can be positive all you want and no one on this board outright criticizes people for positivity, what is annoying is complaining about the justified criticisms posters have about the team. There are a lot of them, and its issues that have been going on for years. So until those issues get addressed youre gonna continue to see people complain about them cause they are issues that are holding the team back from success.

Also I've never accused you of saying everything is perfect. Again just weird things to say.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I figured I'd look at the box score. 12 shots credited now, and unsurprisingly none of them went in. Until he starts making those shots happen closer, he will struggle to hit past 25.
My knock on him has always been that a lot of his scoring came from shots at the top of the circle, and that is *much* harder to do in the NHL. So I expect him to take many shots but struggle to score unless he works on other aspects of his game.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Probably also because most of the longer time posters here are at LEAST in our mid-30s now.

I mean, when I first started lurking in the late 2000s I was a teenager, and probably one of the younger people on the board then.

Most people here were watching pre-lockout with at least semi-logical eyes aha. If you have watched the Flyers for that long (especially those born between say 1975 and 1995, which I guess accounts for a large proportion here) then you have seen them be a premier franchise in the league, seen success consistently, and since the lock-out have seen the came mistakes again and again, with new hilarious ones thrown in.

Ofc everyone still loves the Flyers and wants success. But with how farcical, unlucky and at times incompetent the franchise has been since the day they could no longer outspend anyone and everyone who was not the Rangers or on the Eastern Canadian seaboard? Well, I can understand how difficult it is not to be constantly "well shit, here we go again" by default.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yeah, but you're buying. I'm on a fixed income.
mrdeeds-beers.gif

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
14 shots in a game is impressive. It also screams he only sees the goal and not the ice. Best players see the ice.
The rate at which he shot the puck in that game at 5v5 is almost twice as much as Owen Tippett throughout the entire season. And Tippett was second the league in total shot attempts last year....Just one game, so lets see

5v5
1727554142046.png

PP
1727554196691.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BigToe

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I'm happy b/c I think they have a clear plan, the first time in almost a decade.

They're not spending assets to be competitive (unless you consider the Seeler and Hathaway contracts to be similar to the JVR and Hayes contracts).

Briere is on track for (6) 1st and (6) 2nd rd picks his first three years - the key is these players will arrive closer together, instead of spread over five years like Hextall.

Don't know if what they're doing will work but it's a young team with lots of assets to be added this summer.

If they are deep and have above average goaltending, they can compete for a Cup with only Michkov as their "superstar." One top 20 scorer, with 6-7 top 100 scorers is more than enough offense if they're above average defensively.

From what I've seen around the league, you can build using various approaches and none are guaranteed to succeed. Comes down to execution.
What plan? Ride the middle of the road and hope for lightening on a bottle? They will not commit to a set approach.

Reactions: Adtar02

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I have
We already have Tippett, do we need two top six forwards like that?
never like tippet or cutter. Not saying we should have either.

I’ve been very clear on the type of player I value. Giroux fits that coots does. Ghost did. Michkov seems to have that quality. These are all players that could see the game ahead of the play

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

It’s not the first time in a decade. Hextal had a clear plan and cut off the old boys club. Then got ousted for being too much of a control freak. Then no direction. Now direction is a question mark. Are they overvaluing torts or are they making decisions regards of his input

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
The rate at which he shot the puck in that game at 5v5 is almost twice as much as Owen Tippett throughout the entire season. And Tippett was second the league in total shot attempts last year....Just one game, so lets see

5v5
View attachment 910554

PP
View attachment 910556
Again shooting the puck that much. I don’t necessarily value as a good thing.

Reactions: VladDrag

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What plan? Ride the middle of the road and hope for lightening on a bottle? They will not commit to a set approach.
They have committed to a set approach.

Keep adding assets while coaching a team to be competitive to help both player development and player evaluation.

It's hard to determine how good young players are on bad teams, either they're over their head due to bad matchups, or they're motivated by stats for their next contract since they've given up on trying to win.

What they haven't done is buy/trade for assets to start winning like Jersey did.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They have committed to a set approach.

Keep adding assets while coaching a team to be competitive to help both player development and player evaluation.

It's hard to determine how good young players are on bad teams, either they're over their head due to bad matchups, or they're motivated by stats for their next contract since they've given up on trying to win.

What they haven't done is buy/trade for assets to start winning like Jersey did.
We disagree. There is no committed set approach that I see.

This could be Torts last year in the NHL as a coach. If they are in any playoff hunt will be interesting to see what he instructs them to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad