2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gee, it's almost like it takes more than just high draft picks to build a team. It takes competency on all levels. Some of those teams listed have that, others don't.

Truly a shock.

Do the Flyers operate with competency?
The current group? So far, so good. But it's early, Briere is starting his second season as GM.

I mean the last two drafts were pretty good (Berglund now with the SHL team, Luchanko showing why they liked him, and so on, and last year, Michkov, Bonk, Barkey, etc.)

The Provorov/Walker trades garnered (2) 1sts, (2) 2nds. Got a problem with that?

Cleared out the players y'all hated, here's who is gone from the team Briere inherited:
Hayes, JVR, TDA, Braun, Provorov, Lemieux, Laczynski, Allison, Bellows, Hart, Sandstrom.
Provorov, Hayes, JVR only ones still in the NHL, the later two in minor roles.

Since the 2025 draft is crucial to the rebuild, hard to judge until after the draft, no?

Top 20 going into this season:
Couts (32), Hathaway (33), Seeler (31), Laughton (30), Risto (30), Fedotov (28), Sanheim (28), TK (27)
everyone else 25 or younger (12).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They had into the 2025 Draft with 6 picks in the first 2 rounds and 12 overall.

That is, until Flahrsy the Hutt spends more time eating than scouting again so he convinces Briere to punt some of those picks to 2026.

Until they stop finding ways to reduce that number of picks or defer them, I won't believe they'll actually use them all. They need to prove it.

Reactions: BiggE

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The current group? So far, so good. But it's early, Briere is starting his second season as GM.

I mean the last two drafts were pretty good (Berglund now with the SHL team, Luchanko showing why they liked him, and so on, and last year, Michkov, Bonk, Barkey, etc.)

The Provorov/Walker trades garnered (2) 1sts, (2) 2nds. Got a problem with that?

Cleared out the players y'all hated, here's who is gone from the team Briere inherited:
Hayes, JVR, TDA, Braun, Provorov, Lemieux, Laczynski, Allison, Bellows, Hart, Sandstrom.

Since the 2025 draft is crucial to the rebuild, hard to judge until after the draft, no?

Couts (32), Hathaway (33), Seeler (31), Laughton (30), Risto (30), Fedotov (28), Sanheim (28), TK (27)

So far so good? So far it's the same as always. They are not rebuilding. Nothing has changed. It's the same as it has ever been. They are already behind schedule for rebuilding around Michkov, and aren't doing near enough to catch up.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

I mean, you say the same thing every year and have defended the “previous” regimes in the same manner until it was convenient to dispose of them. After that you try to gaslight us all into believing that you never defended them.

So I can’t say I’m exactly confident in your evaluations on the matter.

So far, so good? I have doubts.

P.S. Who was cleared out that “we” hated?

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

It’s clear they want Luchanko to make the team. We should operate under the guise that he’s on it until proven otherwise.

Meh. Of course they want a close look at their 1st rd pick.
But unless they trade Laughton, it simply isn't going to happen.
Even then, more likely Cates is 3C and Lycksell is 4LW. Lycksell also in 1st group.

Note, Ginning in first group over Attard, but that may simply be a matter of balancing pairs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They will definitely package some of those 2nds to move up for one of Flahr's favorite Meaty Boys.
There is a good chance they'll move up simply b/c they have enough depth they don't need 6 picks when they can target players they think have a shot at top 6/top 4.

As I've pointed out, those 2nd rd picks will allow them to move from the 20s to the teens on draft night (if they can find a trade partner). I'd be happy if they end up with 3 picks between 10 and 20 and one 2nd rd pick in the mid-30s.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Today, I learned that you can’t just set your team to tank mode and forget about it. You have to put in some work and actually assemble a team around your high draft picks, like Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Tampa, Washington, Colorado, and Florida.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Anyone else have the FIOS TV package where you get to pick 5 extra channels? I need to go in to my account and put NBCSP back as one of them so I can watch the game tomorrow.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Meh. Of course they want a close look at their 1st rd pick.
But unless they trade Laughton, it simply isn't going to happen.
Even then, more likely Cates is 3C and Lycksell is 4LW. Lycksell also in 1st group.

Note, Ginning in first group over Attard, but that may simply be a matter of balancing pairs.
Guess Abols and your boy Eklind not getting the long look you said they would.

Andrae will be another guy who was hyped and cant cut it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It’s clear they want Luchanko to make the team. We should operate under the guise that he’s on it until proven otherwise.

After their various fiascos and the mystifying pass on Buium, they see it as a necessary PR win. Making people think management is good is more important than anything else like actual winning or good development processes.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There is a good chance they'll move up simply b/c they have enough depth they don't need 6 picks when they can target players they think have a shot at top 6/top 4.

As I've pointed out, those 2nd rd picks will allow them to move from the 20s to the teens on draft night (if they can find a trade partner). I'd be happy if they end up with 3 picks between 10 and 20 and one 2nd rd pick in the mid-30s.

Their depth is terrible.

Reactions: renberg and BiggE

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Cates at 3C, and Laughton at 4LW.
Luchanko splitting time at 2C with Couts with Foerster & MIchkov as the wings

Charlie mentioned that in his opinion, there are 13 forwards that are locks for the NHL opening night roster.

That includes Brink, who is no longer waiver exempt.

C - Frost, Couturier, Poehling, Laughton
LW - Farabee, Foerster, Tippett, Cates, Deslauriers
RW - TK, Michkov, Brink, Hathaway

The defense is also essentially locked.

York, Sanheim
Seeler, Drysdale
Zamula, Ristolainen
Johnson

But he did mention that because of the cap room opened up from the Johansen termination, it's possible, even likely, that they carry 14 forwards on the opening road trip.

His guess, if that happens, is one of Luchanko, Lycksell, Desnoyers, or Richard.

Abols and Eklind were honourable mentions but unlikely.

And the potential healthy scratch to fit, say, Luchanko would probably be Cates or Deslauriers. May also be Brink, but hopefully not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad