2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell anyone who believes the baloney being peddled about professional athletes gaining 20 lbs of muscle in an offseason. It’s not even next to the realm of the possible. An off-season that included recovering from CORE SURGERY.

I hope it becomes shtick where every player gains 20 lbs of muscle every offseason until they’re officially listed at 5’11, 393lbs.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell anyone who believes the baloney being peddled about professional athletes gaining 20 lbs of muscle in an offseason. It’s not even next to the realm of the possible. An off-season that included recovering from CORE SURGERY.

I hope it becomes shtick where every player gains 20 lbs of muscle every offseason until they’re officially listed at 5’11, 393lbs.
Maybe he's spent the entire off season eating with Keith Tkachuk.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

You can only do that in pro wrestling. True story, in 1980 Andre the Giant wrestled a match for Georgia Championship Wrestling where he was listed at 425 pounds. He then returned to the WWF where he wrestled at MSG just 2 weeks later and was listed at 475 pounds.

Reactions: Magua

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
It's usually the player's decision, based on a medical evaluation that says playing won't make it worse and it's a pain threshold thing. If the team had a chance at the POs, Couts wasn't going to sit unless he was forced to.

You can't order a player to get surgery.
Maybe the Co -GM should have taken a long term approach and think forward. Shut him down for the betterment of the future. They were/are rebuilding right?

Reactions: BiggE

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
This is strange, seems other HCs do something similar to the rope test start TC.

"It's a physical test but, even more, a mental test," said veteran defenseman Johnson, who did a similar test his first three seasons with the Colorado Avalanche under Jared Bednar.

Good news if true:

Sean Couturier, who is coming off core muscle surgery in the off-season, said his procedure was much more minor than other players with different types of core injuries. As with Johnson, Couturier stressed the mental challenge of the skate does above the physical aspects.

And they have the magic chef cooking for them:

Drysdale added 18 pounds of muscle over the summer, reporting to camp at 196 pounds. He is coming off core muscle surgery in the offseason. Drydale stayed in Voorhees all summer to rehab after his surgery and get ready for camp.
Did they all say they were in the best shape of their lives as well?

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
On the Flyers and some bottom feeders sure. How many cup contending teams is he the 2nd line center?

He is now going into his 6th year of pro hockey and needs to show a much more consistent game. Increase his point total to mid 50's level. No more excuses. No more the coach doesn't like me. No more I am getting screwed.

Like Gunny Hightower said, he needs to overcome and adapt.
you just held a player accountable.....proud of you 🍺

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Drysdale was listed at 183 the last three years. Listed at 185 by EP.
Hard to imagine he didn't add any muscle from age 19-22.
So if he's now 196, more likely he was 185-190 last year.

6-11 lbs over a summer is a lot more reasonable than 20 lbs.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lol.... Couturier "wearing out" in the second half. He played with a f***ing hernia that needed to be surgically repaired. Let that sink in. Everyone KNEW that Couturier needed surgery. They allowed him to play even though he was labouring through. And then Tortorella scratches him. Honestly, you can't make this shit up. The most dysfunctional franchise in the NHL. It's f***ing sad what this club has become.

Much like governments, this is what happens when people that are either totally incompetent or rotten at their core are put in charge. The Flyers have a mix of both and Torts is at the nexus.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Yeah, one bag skate the morning of the first day of camp on September 19 really wears the team out by game 40. :rolleyes:

It's a miracle of science Team USA beat Russia in 1980 after Herb Brooks bag-skated his players when they were already in the middle of their seasons.
The theory that Torts run his teams ragged and they get burnt out by the last 40% of the season comes from viewing his entire corpus of coaching, not a single bag skate.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Kind of alarming that Drysdale said he went from 178 last season to 196 to start camp, particularly for a guy whose game is speed & skating.

No one can put on 18 lbs of “pure muscle” in a summer. That’s a joke.

Desnoyers sucked last year because he put on too much weight last summer & lost a step. He said as much, & said this summer he worked hard on trimming down & regaining his speed, since his game is hounding the puck.

I never like hearing about how much a player “bulked up” in the offseason. It usually includes a lot of unnecessary weight that bogs them down.

Gaining strength is one thing, & sure you can put on a little weight in the process, but 18 lbs sounds excessive. 10 for a skinny kid? OK.

The theory that Torts run his teams ragged and they get burnt out by the last 40% of the season comes from viewing his entire corpus of coaching, not a single bag skate.
Yep, last year’s late season collapse was because of the bag skate on the first morning of training camp in September,

& surely not about losing their #1 goalie to a criminal charge, having to run their rookie backup into the ground, & receiving BY FAR league worst goaltending during that 11 game stretch.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Except I just showed proof they played better in the second half of last season.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad