Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
honestly I think a lot of the Zacha hate is just nonsense yapping, he’s got 3 points in 4 games and is a +2 this series where the goal diff for the team is -6. People are acting like he’s their worst player. Silliness.

Really only happens to European players, Tuukka being the biggest and best example where they get crap but the facts/stats just don’t match the crappers feelings

Should be 4 points in 5 games. That tape to tape pass to the florida player for the first goal of the game the other night was one of the most perfect passes I’ve seen.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The more I look at it, the more it's just a dream.

Nothing good is on the horizon in Boston. Tough years ahead.
Just amazing to me that this the read. This is the retool year. Cap issues (and a flat cap). Bonuses lingering.

This year, we’ve found that Mason Lohrei is a bonafide top 4 defenseman, a kid no was expecting making the NHL at 19 with a bright future, picked up Justin Brazeau off the scrap heap, and integrated Johnny Beecher as a fourth liner who will be there for years cheap. Not to mention finally testing our young goalie who has risen up to the challenge and then some.

Now we have cap space, Ullmark to possibly trade, and more younger players on the horizon.

This was 2016-17 and people are predicting a decade of darkness or some shit. And this is after most here had us as a wildcard at best, and no one had them beating the Panthers. All year.

And the series isn’t even over yet.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Personally, even with his disappointing playoff performance, I think moving McAvoy would be a really damaging move.

You would just be creating a hole to fill hole. Their best bet is being patient with him and hope he breaks out of this funk.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Just amazing to me that this the read. This is the retool year. Cap issues (and a flat cap). Bonuses lingering.

This year, we’ve found that Mason Lohrei is a bonafide top 4 defenseman, a kid no was expecting making the NHL at 19 with a bright future, picked up Justin Brazeau off the scrap heap, and integrated Johnny Beecher as a fourth liner who will be there for years cheap. Not to mention finally testing our young goalie who has risen up to the challenge and then some.

Now we have cap space, Ullmark to possibly trade, and more younger players on the horizon.

This was 2016-17 and people are predicting a decade of darkness or some shit. And this is after most here had us as a wildcard at best, and no one had them beating the Panthers. All year.

Okay, I took the time and went through the NHL. Where is Boston getting a 2nd or 1st line C in the near future? Nothing in the system and nothing in UFA and none that a team would trade for the Bruins scraps.

You can have all the cap space in the world but where is the C who wants to sign here not as an overpayment?

I saw all those good things as well this year as you did but the counter to that is everyone is a year older and guys who contributed to the win in the first round are gone. Either Jacobs is going to force them to overpay and go for a run again for revenue or they will bottom out.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Until the GM just makes a carbon copy of the same soft ass team that keeps getting mauled in the playoffs

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Personally, even with his disappointing playoff performance, I think moving McAvoy would be a really damaging move.

You would just be creating a hole to fill hole. Their best bet is being patient with him and hope he breaks out of this funk.

Fair enough. Another year hoping he breaks out of this but with no C in the top six this team doesn't look like a playoff team and it's losing its goalie tandem that carried them here.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019

The thing I don’t get is the shock.

This was not a cup winning team, we all knew that going into the playoffs. The panthers are better than they are. It’s ok, all things considered, its actually been a really successful year given what walked out the door at the end of last season.

And they actually won a series. lol

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The thing I don’t get is the shock.

This was not a cup winning team, we all knew that going into the playoffs. The panthers are better than they are. It’s ok, all things considered, its actually been a really successful year given what walked out the door at the end of last season.

And they actually won a series. lol

Again, this is part of me talking through positives to find any that aren't what reality is telling me; this team is going to struggle like this year for the next 2-3 years. I just have to accept it.

Only thing that could possibly change is if a big superstar asks out of his city and Boston is willing to part with everything possible to make it happen.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Fair enough. Another year hoping he breaks out of this but with no C in the top six this team doesn't look like a playoff team and it's losing its goalie tandem that carried them here.
If you move McAvoy your top pairing RD is Carlo. You’re just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Also who is this number one center that’s available?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
If you move McAvoy your top pairing RD is Carlo. You’re just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Therein lies the problem; there isn't one. And none in the cupboard in Boston. Trading McAvoy to get an actual 1st line C only works if you can then trade for a guy like Theodore in Vegas who just lost his job to Hanifin.

In the end, they tried an experiment and it got them past the Leafs and got some revenue and experience for some young players. Whether or not the experience is a good or bad thing is another story. (There's a choking culture growing in Boston).

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

There isn’t one. Sweeney was too busy Holding onto ancient artifacts so they could retire bruins and trading two years worth of future picks away for three month rentals while a handful of top line centers were being traded/moved around.

He missed out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
yes probably imo

Has that 1C upside too

Not sure if they sell on him now so low but pretty much any contenders 3rd line C is better than Boston's C's so either they go for a project (Couturier, DuBois, Hertl) or buy low on someone with potential like Zegras.

Yeah, he looks like Zacha 2.0. This is really slim pickings.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not sure if they sell on him now so low but pretty much any contenders 3rd line C is better than Boston's C's so either they go for a project (Couturier, DuBois) or buy low on someone with potential like Zegras.
I’d be in on Dubois if he gets bought out. He was a total piece of shit this year but he’s got size/talent/some nasty when he wants. The embarrassment of a buyout so early in his career could hopefully hit his ego and get him to bring effort

Reactions: bbfan419

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not sure if they sell on him now so low but pretty much any contenders 3rd line C is better than Boston's C's so either they go for a project (Couturier, DuBois, Hertl) or buy low on someone with potential like Zegras.

Yeah, he looks like Zacha 2.0. This is really slim pickings.

That being said I'd take Zegras. Elite skill and he can drive offense just as easily if not better from the wing position.

It's like Stuetzle in Ottawa. I think they are making a mistake forcing him to play in the middle. Drafted as a LWer, he's their best offensive talent and instead of letting him drive their offense and be their "Kucherov" so to speak, they waste his energy down low in the defensive zone. He should be their home run hitter, he's the most talented offensive player on that team by a mile.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
That being said I'd take Zegras. Elite skill and he can drive offense just as easily if not better from the wing position.

It's like Stuetzle in Ottawa. I think they are making a mistake forcing him to play in the middle. Drafted as a LWer, he's their best offensive talent and instead of letting him drive their offense and be their "Kucherov" so to speak, they waste his energy down low in the defensive zone. He should be their home run hitter, he's the most talented offensive player on that team by a mile.

Really feels like a 'beggers can't be choosers' situation right now trying to find a 1st line C.

Reactions: CDJ and BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Really feels like a 'beggers can't be choosers' situation right now trying to find a 1st line C.

I wonder what happens to the St. Louis Blues and Robert Thomas. Maybe not right here right now. But that D-corps is both old and unimpressive. Bit of a mis-mash up front. If they bottom out will they look to do a tear down rebuild?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
What center could the Bruins get for Merkulov, Lysell, Zacha, Geekie, and Ullmark?

DeBrusk - X - Pastrnak
Bertuzzi - Poitras - Domi
Marchand - Coyle - Frederic
X - Beecher - Brazeau

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
X - Peake
Wotherspoon

Swayman
Bussi

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I wonder what happens to the St. Louis Blues and Robert Thomas. Maybe not right here right now. But that D-corps is both old and unimpressive. Bit of a mis-mash up front. If they bottom out will they look to do a tear down rebuild?

Feels like a Coyle replacement and perhaps the 2nd line replacement but far from that 1st line C help they desperately need. Saw his name as well and wondered but a best, he's a 2nd line C on a contender, let alone a team trying to survive in the Atlantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad