Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Between him, the dead money and the Gryz healthy scratch that's 9.5% of their cap contributing zero. That's over 13 million.

And another $3mil whenever they scrstch forbort too.

Terrible cap management this season

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
They need goal scoring and toughness and i'm seeing Tysplakov and Merkulov as suggestions.

If they move Ullmark for a pick they should have 27 million of cap space if the cap goes to 87M.

You add Lindholm, Stamkos, Gentzel or another impact score, trade for bigger contracts, sign older impact players. Do not count on prospects for anything but fourth line or 3rd pair.

F*** building, win now. 1 Cup 52 years

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
They need goal scoring and toughness and i'm seeing Tysplakov and Merkulov as suggestions.

If they move Ullmark for a pick they should have 27 million of cap space if the cap goes to 87M.

You add Lindholm, Stamkos, Gentzel or another impact score, trade for bigger contracts, sign older impact players. Do not count on prospects for anything but fourth line or 3rd pair.

F*** building, win now. 1 Cup 52 years

Lindholm and Guentzel would be great additions. If you can't do Guentzel replace him with Stamkos . So 2 of those 3 and then snarl who isn't slow as molasses for line 4

Reactions: bbfan419 and Kegs

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Sweeney going for it last year and losing in the first round in embarrassing fashion really screwed up the near future of the team.

At the time I like a lot of us liked the moves. However this is a results oriented business. If they at least made the ECF I’d have been ok with the price paid.

On paper they seemed like the right moves, but clearly the results say he was wrong. Maybe it was the pro scouts picking the wrong players to fit into the lineup, maybe it was the coaching not able to make everything gel, but at the end of the day the buck stops with Sweeney.

So I guess I give him credit for “going for it”, but whatever he went for was the wrong thing.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I am fine with this, but wouldn't expect him to come here and be a savior. It took until his age 25 season for him to do much of anything in the KHL. If the scouts like him, and Bruins sign him, I'll be happy, but expect a 3rd liner at best
I'm not saying he will or can be Panarin but they had the same stats before the NHL. It took Panarin 6 years before he started scoring over there. Andrei Kuzmenko had similar stats, and everyone is looking for that guy for free.

This costs them no players to be traded, no picks to lose, and is no different than signing yet another college guy. The Bruins cannot put the puck in the net, and Marshy is at the end of his career and no longer scores the big goals. Pasta is the lone scorer in the wind, getting attacked daily.

Reactions: bbfan419

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I think the two biggest priorities next year are to get a running mate for Pasta and a top four defender. Ottawa seems very inclined to move Chychrun for Ullmark and I'm starting to think this would make a lot of sense. They need a better source of offense from the backend and specifically a #1 PP quarterback who can get shots thru.

McAvoy has shown up to this point, thats really not his game. He tries to do too much and ends up turning pucks over, like we are seeing this series. Eventually you want Lohrei to develop into this role but he would have at least a year to learn behind Chychrun and play 2nd unit.

McAvoy needs to get back to focusing on what he does best, playing elite positional defense, shutting down opposing players and playing physical.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
•Ullmark moves for picks
•Pastrnak needs a stud on his line as he’s drawing double & triple team in playoffs (Guentzel UFA, Crosby via trade)
•Let DeBrusk walk, inconsistency issues
•Acquire a real top center so Zacha returns to wing, Coyle returns to 3C
•Bottom 6 needs speed & hitters. Lauko brings speed & energy. JVR Maroon Lucic too slow. Need guys who can keep up the forecheck consistently.

Marchand • ? • Pastrnak
Zacha • Poitras • ?
Frederic • Coyle • Geekie
Lauko • Beecher • ?

Reactions: DoubleBack

DoubleBack

Apr 29, 2024
Going to need a trade where you take a risk. Something like McAvoy for Marino and Mercer.

MacAvoy getting traded is about as real as a unicorn.
[/QUOTE]
and this is the problem. If he is not traded the Bruins need to find another D-man to move him down to D3 on the depth chart. I say another and not two because Lohrei is already on his way to taking the D1 spot, if not next season the one after for sure.

Reactions: Carlon Brando

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
They need to add toughness in their top 6. I’m not talking about these cheap 4th line plug ins that are more reactionary in nature. We need someone who is going to go out and bring it to other teams.

Every time something physical goes down it’s “how will the bruins respond”

I miss the days when teams were having to respond to the bruins play and how the bruins set the tone.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
•Ullmark moves for picks
•Pastrnak needs a stud on his line as he’s drawing double & triple team in playoffs (Guentzel UFA, Crosby via trade)
•Bottom 6 needs speed & hitters. Lauko brings speed & energy. JVR Maroon Lucic too slow. Need guys who can keep up the forecheck consistently.

Marchand • ? • Pastrnak
Zacha • Poitras • ?
Lauko • Beecher • ?
DeBrusk has been one of the few forwards that has shown up for us in the playoffs, Zacha though if we can deal him for something decent I would make that move.

Babajingo

•Ullmark moves for picks

Marchand • ? • Pastrnak
Zacha • Poitras • ?
Lauko • Beecher • ?
Agree.
Top priority should be to trade Ullmark so you can sign Swayman and find a top center. Like you said, it would move people into their proper places.
D is close to being done, would be nice to get a bigger top 4.

If you need to do a trade and sign, in order to get the top C, no prospect is off the books.
Have to accept the fact that Marchand has a year or two left.

Anything less than addressing this, they might as well rebuild (which they will never do).

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

We need scoring, physicality, and a defenseman that can run a powerplay. After Mac, who is not made for that, there is a huge gap. As a team, the defense is near the bottom for generating points and contributing. Lohrie is the only bright spot right now.

Stamkos would be nice, but he will be 35 during the next season and is making 8.5 million; who knows what he takes? Lindholm is not a scorer and could be looking to cash in. Maybe we land them both on the cheap; I could see Lindholm, Stammer is a long shot. Lindholm is a Bergy clone and would fit in perfectly.

I would go after Vancouver's other guy, - big Z. I was among the first to mention Zadarov and Reinhart when he was with Buffalo. Zadarov is big, mean, and can put up points.

Geuntzel is coming off a five-year, $6 million contract and could get around $8 million next year. I am sure Guetzel is going to stay in Carolina after his performance. He is someone I wanted, and he will be 30 next year. The Bruins badly need consistent secondary scoring. Let's see what the summer brings us.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
We need scoring, physicality, and a defenseman that can run a powerplay. After Mac, who is not made for that, there is a huge gap. As a team, the defense is near the bottom for generating points and contributing. Lohrie is the only bright spot right now.

Stamkos would be nice, but he will be 35 during the next season and is making 8.5 million; who knows what he takes? Lindholm is not a scorer and could be looking to cash in. Maybe we land them both on the cheap; I could see Lindholm, Stammer is a long shot. Lindholm is a Bergy clone and would fit in perfectly.

I would go after Vancouver's other guy, - big Z. I was among the first to mention Zadarov and Reinhart when he was with Buffalo. Zadarov is big, mean, and can put up points.

Geuntzel is coming off a five-year, $6 million contract and could get around $8 million next year. I am sure Guetzel is going to stay in Carlonina after his performance. He is someone I wanted, and he will be 30 next year. The Bruins badly need consistent secondary scoring. Let's see what the summer brings us.
Guentzel will be pushing $10M a year. And Zadorov is going to be way overpaid for a third pair defenseman. Let someone lose be the asshole.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
They need to add toughness in their top 6. I’m not talking about these cheap 4th line plug ins that are more reactionary in nature. We need someone who is going to go out and bring it to other teams.

Every time something physical goes down it’s “how will the bruins respond”

I miss the days when teams were having to respond to the bruins play and how the bruins set the tone.
I agree completely, I just don’t know who these players are and where the GM can find them. I’d like a list of 20 players who for this mold. Are any upcoming free agents, can they be acquired via trade

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Guentzel will be pushing $10M a year. And Zadorov is going to be way overpaid for a third pair defenseman. Let someone lose be the asshole.

We'll be seeing Zadorov suggestions probably daily now until free agency.

They aren't signing Zadorov with Lohrei due a new contract in a years time.

Unless they have a plan to move out Hampus Lindholm, the Top 4 D is what is it.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
•Ullmark moves for picks

Marchand • ? • Pastrnak
Zacha • Poitras • ?
Lauko • Beecher • ?
How can you opt to let DeBrusk walk for zero and keep Zacha after watching him last two PO?

Could get at least a 2nd for Zacha.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Agree.
Top priority should be to trade Ullmark so you can sign Swayman and find a top center. Like you said, it would move people into their proper places.
D is close to being done, would be nice to get a bigger top 4.

If you need to do a trade and sign, in order to get the top C, no prospect is off the books.
Have to accept the fact that Marchand has a year or two left.

Anything less than addressing this, they might as well rebuild (which they will never do).
With the kind of support his teammates have give him in these playoffs are we sure Swayman wants to stay.lol

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
We'd better start improving this team before other players start putting Boston on their no-trade lists. (Unless they just want to pad their regular season stats)

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think the two biggest priorities next year are to get a running mate for Pasta and a top four defender. Ottawa seems very inclined to move Chychrun for Ullmark and I'm starting to think this would make a lot of sense. They need a better source of offense from the backend and specifically a #1 PP quarterback who can get shots thru.

McAvoy has shown up to this point, thats really not his game. He tries to do too much and ends up turning pucks over, like we are seeing this series. Eventually you want Lohrei to develop into this role but he would have at least a year to learn behind Chychrun and play 2nd unit.

McAvoy needs to get back to focusing on what he does best, playing elite positional defense, shutting down opposing players and playing physical.

Forbort, Carlo, Peeke, Wotherspoon and all bad puck movers. Some of them amongst the worst in the league. McAvoy is just being asked to be Ray Bourque when he is not. Heck even Ray Bourque always actually had a #1C better than Coyle around to drive possession. He is a good #1D, not a Hall of Famer.

Reactions: CellyHard

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
We'd better start improving this team before other players start putting Boston on their no-trade lists. (Unless they just want to pad their regular season stats)
7C35618E-A616-4F63-A9CB-06C554A1E1BF.gif

Reactions: dangermike and CDJ

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Forbort, Carlo, Peeke, Wotherspoon and all bad puck movers. Some of them amongst the worst in the league. McAvoy is just being asked to be Ray Bourque when he is not. Heck even Ray Bourque always actually had a #1C better than Coyle around to drive possession. He is a good #1D, not a Hall of Famer.
We paid him like a HOF though. He certainly needs to grow his game a lot more to ever get close. Still hope though he is what 26?

Lindholm and Mac both been disappointing for to me other than a shift here or there. Certainly would help them if we had four lines drive position, and get more offensive zone time,

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
We paid him like a HOF though. He certainly needs to grow his game a lot more to ever get close. Still hope though he is what 26?

Lindholm and Mac both been disappointing for to me other than a shift here or there. Certainly would help them if we had four lines drive position, and get more offensive zone time,
He is not paid like a HOF, he is paid like a #1 defenseman

Reactions: wintersej

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Lol

Is this like Candyman, where if you say Zadorov is a third pair guy enough times it becomes true?

Because if it is, of the 8 guys the Bruins have dressed on the blue line this playoffs, then 4 should be in the AHL, forever.

The Bruins don’t currently have a guy who has ever been as impactful in the playoffs as he has this year.

They’ve used Grzelcyk as a first pair guy extensively over the last 3 seasons.

Zadorov is a legit 4, who has played like a 2/3 this year in the playoffs.

We have “legit” 1’s, 2’s and 3’s who have played like 5’s and 6’s.

Worse..we have legit 4’s, 5’s, 6’s and 7’s who are asked to play 3/4 slots above what they are.

If they can find a way to replace Lindholm with Zadorov next season, the blue line gets better.

Lohrei McAvoy
Zadorov Carlo
Wotherspoon Peake

Last edited:

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

I don't know if people are in denial or simply don't want to believe it but we have been gradually drifting away from the sound defensive structure of Julian through Cassidy to a more what I will call a freelance positional transition style team defense. This is hurting McAvoy's development and not playing to the strengths of some of our better instinctive defenseman.

My opinion is: defensive posture should be for both the defenseman and forwards - first thing is defensive position, followed by puck retrieval ( obtaining possession), followed by clearing the zone, leading into transitional play. What we are seeing is puck retrieval directly to transitional play without proper defensive zone coverage by both forwards and defenseman. Which some might argue leads to rushed plays and miscues and more turnovers. That might work in the regular season, but ... as it seems I'm beating a dead horse here, the playoffs are more about matchups, positional play, man to man coverage, and adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad