Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I get the first part.

But, while it is a career year, I don’t consider 37 goals, good wheels and 80 PIM, to be at the “dime a dozen” level.

I think as a JDB replacement, you can still count on 25+ goals and 65/70, PIM on the second line, which is pretty good production for 3.6.
I give a call to Anaheim on Vatrano.

Reactions: Zillah and sarge88

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Vatrano grew up in Massachusetts, I think.

And, as much as we tend to obsess (me included) about pairings…with so much special teams I don’t worry about it as much.

You could also go

Zadorov - McAvoy
Lindholm - Peake
Lohrei - ??
Aaaaaaand he already played for the Bruins but IIRC, his dad is his agent (?) and pissed off Sweeney with icetime and $$$ expectations. I can't see him ever coming back because of the issues IMO.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
So pulling this from the trash bag thread - better to discuss here. @LouJersey made the point of how Ullmark could sculpt his NTC list around who has established goalies, etc. The goal - if you’re the agent and player - is the get the player in a position of control as much as possible. They can always waive (and in his case do so only if there’s a big extension in place) but trying to balance that with places you would never want to play is key.

I took a crack at building his list (obviously we’re not in his head and maybe he’s always wanted to go back to Buffalo or something lol) but here’s what I would do.

On List (City/Franchise):
Winnipeg (yes Hellebuyck but not taking any chances of going to that godforsaken place)
Edmonton
Calgary
Buffalo
Columbus
Utah* (guessing he had to turn his list in prior to knowing the move so it was AZ)

Off List (established goalie)
NYR
Dallas
florida
Vancouver
Nashville
Tampa
NYI

That leaves 18 teams to slot.

On List (control)
LAK
Ottawa
NJD
Detroit

These are the four teams most in need and I’d want control over that

Off List (Boston not trading with them)
Toronto
Montreal

Chances of a Bruins deal there are very slim so I’d take the chance

That leaves me six teams to put on my list.

My last six would be:
Anaheim
SJ
Chicago

(Three franchises years away from competing)

Carolina
Colorado
Pittsburgh

(Three good franchises who I wouldn’t mind playing for, but want control.)

So that would leave the following teams Boston could trade freely with:

NYR
NYI
Dallas
Florida
Vancouver
Nashville
Tampa
NYI
that is why they should not hand out these M-NTC, unless you are talking star player

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Trochek I’m with you on. Love that guy and would have loved to nab him.

Big differences though between them.

Trochek wasn’t signed to be their #1C. He wasn’t signed after coming off the worst season in his last six years, failing to be a productive top six forward on two different teams. And he wasn’t signed for $8M/yr on a long term deal at the age of 30.

I don’t dislike Lindholm. Before this season, I would have gone all in to acquire him. But it smells too much like David Backes to me. But twice the risk.
Could you elaborate on the Backes comparison and why it would be twice the risk?

I only ask because I’ve enjoyed your back and forth with sarge on this, however I just don’t see how they compare a whole lot.

Backes was 32 when he signed that deal and was already clearly beginning to decline in St Louis as most aging power forwards do like Mike Richards and Brendan Morrow for example.

I will agree that there is certainly risk involved, perhaps that’s the angle. I just don’t see it.

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Aaaaaaand he already played for the Bruins but IIRC, his dad is his agent (?) and pissed off Sweeney with icetime and $$$ expectations. I can't see him ever coming back because of the issues IMO.

I didn’t know that.

I just remember wondering why he didn’t stick here and then thinking he’d have been great wit Krejci during the years when he was saddled with guys who were third liners at best.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Switch Debrusk with Geekie or Frederic (or both) and add Campbell after the + by Draisaitl and we may have a deal.
What about this then? Geekie + Ullmark + Carlo + Poitras + Peeke for Draisaitl + Campbell + Desharnais? Boston could then buyout Campbell.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I've wondered this about Swayman. What are are the new 'offer sheet stipulations'?

Remember the Kessel trade? Can some team f*** the Bruins and send him a contract the Bruins would have to match?

Last edited:

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I've wondered this about Swayman. What are are the new 'offer sheet stipulations'?

Remember the Kessel trade? Can some team f*** the Bruins and send him contract?
Possible, but Swayman himself would have to sign it. I would be surprised if he did that. I imagine negotiations would have to go south for that to happen

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Possible, but Swayman himself would have to sign it. I would be surprised if he did that. I imagine negotiations would have to go south for that to happen
Agree. And I think Ullmarks antics just make Sway more likely to help us out and stay. But if Ullmark is determined to stay here no matter what he can make that happen there are 15 teams with no interest in adding a goalie. Toronto doesn't have the cap room but if something happens and they do its not outrageous even if its just to screw us over.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
There are some key Bruins contracts for summer 2025....like 3/4 of our wingers? And Lohrei.

There might be 7-10M worth of powder easy there that Sweeney needs to keep dry. OR Marchy pulls a Patrice and signs two years 4.5M that offseason kind of thing and we have an easy go of it.

I think that telegraphs that one contract on the wing or C this offseason will be 1x6M kind of thing.

Marchand
Lohrei
Freddy
Geekie
Beecher
Brazeau
Spoon

UFA/RFA all at once is nothing to ignore

I agree that you have to look ahead. There are levers here tho. Lorhei is an RFA that could be bridged. Marchand can get a 35+ contract, etc.

Freddy is a spicy meatball. He is a very good 5 on 5 complimentary goal scorer. Would someone want to see what he looks like on the top 6 and with PP time?

Reactions: BBruins

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Trochek I’m with you on. Love that guy and would have loved to nab him.

Big differences though between them.

Trochek wasn’t signed to be their #1C. He wasn’t signed after coming off the worst season in his last six years, failing to be a productive top six forward on two different teams. And he wasn’t signed for $8M/yr on a long term deal at the age of 30.

I don’t dislike Lindholm. Before this season, I would have gone all in to acquire him. But it smells too much like David Backes to me. But twice the risk.
Lindholm doesn't play like Backes did, not nearly the same mileage on Lindholm. I really can't do another year of Zacha/Coyle as top two centers.

However
Bertuzzi-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Lindholm-Toffoli

Is a good top six, the Zacha line was great last year in the playoffs. Marchand-Lindholm should be a great two way line.

If Edmonton chokes tonight scratch everything and get Draisaitl

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'd like to keep Peeke. I think he's got a lot of game that we didn't see yet due to his late season injury and late start to the post season. Plus, giving up 2 RD is a mistake IMO.
Him and Lorhei honestly looked awful together the few shifts they had in person G6.

You include Peeke in these deals bc if you don’t it’s Carlo the other team gets.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Not really. Mercer isn’t a center. And his projected contract is more like $3.5-$3.8M. Guy had 33 points last year.

Just Ullmark for Mercer sees NJ having to add.
NJ board looks like they expect the add on Boston's side.

Also way to go on ignoring Mercer's first two years.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
While Lindholm may not be the best #1C in the league, here he’d be a really good fit.

First, he’d likely do well with Pasta and Zacha.
Second, he wins draws, which they need.
Third, good defensively.
Lastly, if they somehow “luck into” a better #1C, then he can slot down and be a matchup problem.

Also great in the bumper which would make the PP fall into place.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Or, he’s only 29 and still in his prime and will flourish with Pasta and Zacha.

If the rumors are true and the cap is going to go up considerably in the next few years, I’d say get him while you can.

Plus, he’s good enough defensively, he can slot down to 2C or 3C as he ages and it’s won’t kill your cap.

Who knows how things will go, but he’s a better center than they had this year and they have a need.

People said the same about Trochek and he’s been excellent for NYR.
I wouldn't be upset if we signed him but I'm a little worried about what he could end up being. He's had a bad year and seems to have gotten a little worse once he got to Vancouver. You're right he can play down as he ages but I feel like he's one of these guys that doesn't age well.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The one thing about Ullmark, regardless of his list, that may entice him to move is if Sweeney can get a club to offer an extension as a contingency. Linus may reconsider if someone was to give him 4 or 5 years at a decent rate.
I think it's actually ideal if we allow teams to talk to him about an extension because it would help our return if he inked an extension once moved.

Reactions: sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad