Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Skip Bert and just go sign Lindholm. Running it back with Coyle/Zacha in the Top 6 C roles is suicide
I think if the Bruins can't get that top 6C, I don't know if Mercer has played there at all as a Devil, we know that Bertuzzi - Zacha - Pastrnak produced 5 on 5 in the playoffs so if Bertuzzi can be had at a good cap hit, it's a nice alternative.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Chandler Stephenson being overrated here. He’s = Coyle.

I personally pass on Bertuzzi. His lack of speed & defensive play leads me to believe someone will regret signing him to a 6yr/ 6m contract
Agreed on Stephenson. Bertuzzi is fast, and he played surprisingly good defense in games 5-7 against the Bruins. He wasn't playing Selke-level defense by any means, but he looked a lot better than he did while he was on the Bruins and in games 1-4 where he was trying to get Marchand off his game.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Joshua is big, tough, hits, fights, all things that Sweeney undervalues. After a number 1 center Joshua would be my priority in free agency, so you know Sweeney will resign Grizz instead.
I’m with you on Joshua. And while salary and term would be a risk considering his late bloom status, I actually wouldn’t care what the number was on him. I’d just love to have him aboard.

Canucks will bring him back though.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Am I missing something with Lindholm? He'd get crucified by the fans on this board in year one. His numbers over the past 2 years are similar to Zachas (who gets trashed by the fans in here).
The issue is that with the contract he'd get, people would be even harder on him and expect a #1 C when in reality he's not.

They shouldn't sign an expensive for the sake of it. They'd regret it after 2-3 years when someone else becomes available and they don't have the money to sign / trade for said player.
How about trying to get Stamkos short term (2-3 years) and hoping that Draisaitl (don't know what he thinks of the Bruins, don't think he's ever been asked about free agency here in Germany other than hoping to play for the KEC at the very end of his career) or Eichel become available. They'd have the ammo to entice other teams with Poitras (young C), Lohrei (young stud D), Lysell (young wing).

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Zacka, had over 100 hits, Stephenson, did not even have 50 hits this year, he never ever had a 100 hits in a year. I must admit last year he was a monster in the playoffs, prior to that and including this year, 70 games-5 goals-19 pts......... good face off man except the playoffs. He also is 4 years older. I think you should rethink that post.
I have watched Stevenson a lot last 3 years. Hit stats are next to useless in NHL.

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Zacka, had over 100 hits, Stephenson, did not even have 50 hits this year, he never ever had a 100 hits in a year. I must admit last year he was a monster in the playoffs, prior to that and including this year, 70 games-5 goals-19 pts......... good face off man except the playoffs. He also is 4 years older. I think you should rethink that post.
NHL hit stats are a joke. Watched a lot of him last 3 years. Absolutely more physical than Zacha.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
This is not an anti Carlo idea.

Just thinking of hockey trades that may help both teams.

Thoughts on a deal centered around Carlo and Vatrano?

Not sure if Anaheim would give up much more, due to Carlo being signed for 3 more years vs. Vatrano for 1.

Anaheim is terrible defensively.

Boston could use a guy who shoots and skates like Vatrano, plus he’s got some sandpaper to his game, as he was in the top 25 or so in PIM.

He’s signed for 3.65 and is a UFA next summer. The B’s can then replace Carlo with Zadorov or another more physical guy.

Again, I like Carlo, I just like Vatrano too and TBH the defense can use a little thunder and Carlo might be the most marketable guy they have back there due to his ability and contract situation.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
e thThis is not an anti Carlo idea.

Not sure if Anaheim would give up much more, due to Carlo being signed for 3 more years vs. Vatrano for 1.

Boston could use a guy who shoots and skates like Vatrano, plus he’s got some sandpaper to his game, as he was in the top 25 or so in PIM.

He’s signed for 3.65 and is a UFA next summer. The B’s can then replace Carlo with Zadorov or another more physical guy.

Again, I like Carlo, I just like Vatrano too and TBH the defense can use a little thunder and Carlo might be the most marketable guy they have back there due to his ability and contract situation.

Vatrano is no where close to enough to make me consider moving Carlo. And Carlo being signed for a very reasonable rate for 3 years is a benefit that increases his value, not decreases it.

I am ok moving Carlo as part of a package to being in a legitimate #1 Center, but not for a middle 6 kind of one dimensional player (Vatrano)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Joshua is big, tough, hits, fights, all things that Sweeney undervalues. After a number 1 center Joshua would be my priority in free agency, so you know Sweeney will resign Grizz instead.
Oh, I'm with you but I would probably end up at MGH ICU if Sweeney ever did that. He just doesn't seem to value that kind of player when they're young enough to acquire. When he does, he wants them to be accomplished, like they have to have proven themselves somewhere else FIRST to be considered Boston Bruins. He doesn't mind paying for a little toughness short term, but near the bottom of his wish-list from Santa.
Guys like Backes, although he had the right attitude and frame of mind was pretty much done when he signed him to a contract that was 2-3 times too long.
Looch was supposed to come here and be a savior but he disappointed, the Ritchie Brothers with an average pulse rate of 30 bpm couldn't care less about showing pride or hustle.
Who am I missing?
Point is, that when a talented tough guy is available, Sweeney winces and shows little to no interest. The Bruins fill the stands, make the playoffs, and keep the Jacobs in Strottarga Bianco Caviar and Cardigans (bad ice be damned).
So, long way of saying, I'm not holding my breath.

(paraphrasing) I'm not sure I want a guy on the Bruins who has " Sugar Boo " as a nickname. :amazed: The only person that should call him that is his wife or girlfriend. :nod:
Yes, and only under the blankets...

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Vatrano is no where close to enough to make me consider moving Carlo. And Carlo being signed for a very reasonable rate for 3 years is a benefit that increases his value, not decreases it.

I am ok moving Carlo as part of a package to being in a legitimate #1 Center, but not for a middle 6 kind of one dimensional player (Vatrano)

I get it.

I wasn’t saying Carlo’s contract detracts from his market value…I was saying that Anaheim may need to add.

One thing that I was thinking that I didn’t include though is this.

Looking at Vatrano as a possible JDB replacement. DeBrusk is likely to get 6ish, I would think.

Are we better off with Zadorov (5-5.5?) and Vatrano at a combined 8/9 or JDB (who we’ve heard may not be back) and Carlo for 10 or so?

Obviously all the numbers are just speculation at this point.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Marchand may be retired at that point, if not his contract likely stays the same short term of goes down
Lohrei Depends on his season, but likely a 2 year bridge deal for 3+ mil
Freddy, Could more than double his salary, and we will see if they keep him . He needs to be better
Geekie, may move on.
Beecher, Brazzeau are likely to small increases on their next deal
Spoon, might stay with a small increase Might move on. Will he even be a starter next year (it's still and open question)

It's not like you are listing a critical group of must signs, who are going to get 10 million more (combined on their next deal). If Marchand decides to retire then you
Geekie has another year on his contract.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

In the captioned picture of Heinen they call him "Bruins center Heinen." Can we get hockey editors who actually know a little more about hockey?" So many times we see mistakes by "professionals" who write or edit at i.e. NESN etc who make the strangest mistakes.
Also, is McDonald shilling for his Rhode Island homey Dave Quinn?
"The Bruins interviewed the former Boston University and New York Rangers coach prior to hiring Montgomery in 2022. Quinn spent the last two seasons as coach of the San Jose Sharks but recently was let go by the team after two difficult seasons." NO thanks!

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Reinhart interests me alot but why would he come here?

FA class is weak. Maybe sign a few guys to short term deals and wait for next years. Idk if its any better tho.

Cant see anyone coming here unless overpaid.

Not really on the Lindholm hype

Reactions: bbfan419

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
This is not an anti Carlo idea.

I am very much pro trading Carlo if you get an more offensive and physical top four right handed defenseman back. Someone like Andersson from Calgary. Vatrano is a dime a dozen player you can sign in free agency.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I am very much pro trading Carlo if you get an more offensive and physical top four right handed defenseman back. Someone like Andersson from Calgary. Vatrano is a dime a dozen player you can sign in free agency.

I get the first part.

But, while it is a career year, I don’t consider 37 goals, good wheels and 80 PIM, to be at the “dime a dozen” level.

I think as a JDB replacement, you can still count on 25+ goals and 65/70, PIM on the second line, which is pretty good production for 3.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad