Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

There were two occasions Friday night, as Jim Montgomery searched for the answers to the Bruins’ season-ending loss to the Panthers, that spoke to the general brain fog that can take over amid the sorrow of postgame disappointment.
As the coach tried to recall whether the Bruins had managed more than two goals in any game of their second-round series other than in an opening blowout of a rusty Panthers team (news flash: They did not), he begged forgiveness because “my head is spinning right now.” Shortly thereafter, given a chance to consider any coaching redos across the six-game series, he politely deferred to a future conversation “when I can probably give more intelligent answers than going off my vapid brain right now.”
Understandably, confusion reigned.
Yet there was one topic of conversation from the Bruins’ two-round postseason run that left Montgomery clearheaded and definitive: his goaltender.
Jeremy Swayman, hard-luck loser in Game 6 Friday night, hard-earned winner of enduring respect. The best story of the Bruins’ playoffs.

“Night in and night out gave us an opportunity to win,” Montgomery said. “Every night making sensational saves. His competitiveness was something that our players and I think our team and our bench fed off of.”

Through seven gritty games against the Maple Leafs (of which he started six), through six bruising games against the Panthers, Swayman was consistently the Bruins’ best player. Having wrested control of the starting job from his regular-season partner-in-net Linus Ullmark, Swayman tightened his grip with every passing game. A pending restricted free agent who must be management’s offseason priority No. 1 to lock up with a long-term deal, he is part of the foundation moving forward, a 25-year-old franchise building block alongside David Pastrnak and Charlie McAvoy.

That was little consolation to Swayman in the wee hours Friday night, when he was still nursing the disappointment of surrendering a game-winner inside two minutes to play, when he could do nothing but watch the final seconds of the season tick away from a seat on the bench, pulled as he’d been for an extra attacker.

As cameras showed teammate after teammate approaching him at the end, Jake DeBrusk revealed their message.

“Just, don’t blame yourself,” DeBrusk and the others told Swayman.

“A lot of guys have a lot of respect for him in this room,” DeBrusk continued. “He got us to this point, pretty much won us the Toronto series, kept us in that, and then extended the series for us. I know goalies feel like every mistake’s a goal, but sometimes it’s not a mistake. He covered for a lot of ours. So I think what guys are saying is, ‘Just keep your head up, man. You’re a stud. [You] really took your game up in the playoffs and to be proud of that.’ ”

A .933 save percentage that was tops among all playoff goalies with at least four starts. Two games in the Panthers series alone in which he made 38 saves. A Game 6 performance Friday with 26 saves, including 11 in the second period. Going full split across his crease, reaching wide with his blocker or glove hand, snaring pucks out of the air or smothering them in front of his net, Swayman stood so tall against a relentless and overpowering Florida team that, when all tallied, had 164 more shot attempts (440-276) than the Bruins.

“I think the whole year was an incredible year of growth,” Swayman said. “Not only for myself, but everyone on this team. That’s what I’m most proud of. These guys not taking no for an answer. We were doubted from the beginning, obviously losing huge pieces. Everyone stepping up and making a name for themselves. I would be a part of that a thousand times over if I could.”

Fans had to let him know how much they appreciated him, chanting “Sway-man, Sway-man” down from the rafters.

“Tears, tears,” Swayman said. “I couldn’t be more grateful to have a city, to have a home base that’s as supportive as Boston. And they mean so much more than just fans to me. It’s truly a home for me now. And to hear that was above and beyond. I’m just so grateful . . . It’s not about me as an individual. It’s about our team and to see it all end so abruptly is something you never want to feel. But I’m just so proud of everyone for being here and setting the foundation for what’s to come next.”

So long as he’s at the center of it, the Bruins have a chance.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Shesterkin will be 29 at end of his contract. Rather give Swayman 7 now and carry thru 33 years old. Also why antagonize him again?
As I stated, I don't think he's gonna be asking for the moon. In arbitration last year his ask was 4.3.... Yes he did have a great season but not a 5 million dollar raise season. I'd be happy somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5. I just don't see him asking nor getting more than that right now

Reactions: bbfan419

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'll take a chance with 5 million retention
I agree with most of what is being said about DuBois, but why do I have this feeling he got someone to reach him he might be worth a shot. Believe me I hate players that just piss their careers away with the skill set of this guy. Does anyone think getting a third team involved makes it a deal more palatable with a lower contract ?

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
I’m open to moving Hampus Lindholm out of town. This now makes two playoffs where he’s absolutely looked pedestrian at best. Crucial turnovers. He seems to fear the physicality of playoff hockey. I’d have zero issues moving him to some team like the Leafs who are desperate for D
Agree. I thought he played like Nik Lidstrom in the regular season last year. Should have been a Norris finalist IMO. Awful against Florida. Wasn’t as good this year. Can we get an elite center for him and Zacha? I don’t know if Eichel or Draisaitl is available. Could still sign Lindholm and Guentzel /or keep JD.

We’d have a hole on D. Deal Ullmark for picks/prospects and trade those assets for a defenseman. Can also make a move at the deadline like did to originally get Hampus and Orlov.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I’m open to moving Hampus Lindholm out of town. This now makes two playoffs where he’s absolutely looked pedestrian at best. Crucial turnovers. He seems to fear the physicality of playoff hockey. I’d have zero issues moving him to some team like the Leafs who are desperate for D

He did have a goal and an assist in a 2-1 OT Game 7.

That's probably more crucial than any of his turnovers.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He did have a goal and an assist in a 2-1 OT Game 7.

That's probably more crucial than any of his turnovers.
Yeah people want to act like him and McAvoy were god awful but at the end of the day they were logging by far the most minutes on the team and our goals against totals weren’t an issue

Not gonna pretend they played up to their full potential but I don’t think they’re the train wreck some claim they were

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
For the posters who think I hate young players just because I said I think Poitras will start in Providence and that I am ok with it, go do your research on the kind of surgery he just had and then go back and see just how small and vulnerable he is along the boards.

That’s why I believe he will and should start the season in Providence. Big hint: it isn’t because I’m against the young players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yeah people want to act like him and McAvoy were god awful but at the end of the day they were logging by far the most minutes on the team and our goals against totals weren’t an issue

Not gonna pretend they played up to their full potential but I don’t think they’re the train wreck some claim they were

I would say they both under-performed.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
For the idiot posters who think I hate young players just because I said I think Poitras will start in Providence and that I am ok with it, go do your research on the kind of surgery he just had and then go back and see just how small and vulnerable he is along the boards.

That’s why I believe he will and should start the season in Providence. Big hint: it isn’t because I’m against the young players.
How less likely would he be of reinjuring it in Providence vs Boston?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I feel like people are really underestimating just how solid of a player Elias Lindholm is. I know it would be ideal to get a young center to play with Pasta but even at his age, he fits like a glove.

There is some recency bias because he had a down year but Calgary is rebuilding and just not very good...not to mention he then got hurt when he went to Vancouver. At the same time, people contribute a lot of his success by playing with Tkachuk and Gaudreau.

At the end of the day, he's not a 40pt player like he was this year and he's not a 80 pt player like he was with those two stars...he's more of less somewhere in the middle, which is kind of funny because since 2018, he's averaged exactly 60 pts a season

add his defense and face-off ability and you have a really valuable center.

I’m a big Elias Lindholm fan. I’ve actually been advocating he’s a top center when many have said he a 2nd line center.

I would absolutely take him. The post I made was my “dream scenario” of finding a top center that’s age aligns with pasta/McAvoy/swayman. I doubt my dream will come true but if we land on Elias Lindholm I’ll be happy. My one caveat with him is his age and his likely contract demands

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
How less likely would he be of reinjuring it in Providence vs Boston?
It’s not about reinjury it is about the lack of training and this his inability to get stronger in his upper body. It is a 6 month recovery and only then are you cleared to begin working out. He’s not going to be doing full workouts until late July at the earliest. Going to Providence to get his endurance and strength up as well as see game action will only benefit him in the long run.

Reactions: Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
For the posters who think I hate young players just because I said I think Poitras will start in Providence and that I am ok with it, go do your research on the kind of surgery he just had and then go back and see just how small and vulnerable he is along the boards.

I don't see anything wrong with what you said.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's

I'm with you 100%. Poitras isn't Bedard or Fantilli. I get that he had a hot start, but he proved rather quickly than he was outmatched for the NHL.

People get way too giddy over new prospects and want us the roll out the red carpet for them ASAP. Marchand even said it a couple years ago that most prospects get their crack on the big team once injuries happen and they have to make the most of their opportunity.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I don't see anything wrong with what you said.
Thanks! I thought it was reasonable. That poor kid doesn’t need the relentless pressure to come back bigger and better after a serious shoulder surgery. I know they are whipping boys but it took McAvoy and Gryz over a half season to look comfortable post op after they had the same procedure. I’d rather ease Poitras back in because I love his game and his attitude and his spunk. I think he’ll be a life long Bruin.

Reactions: Gordoff

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I'm with you 100%. Poitras isn't Bedard or Fantilli. I get that he had a hot start, but he proved rather quickly than he was outmatched for the NHL.

People get way too giddy over new prospects and want us the roll out the red carpet for them ASAP. Marchand even said it a couple years ago that most prospects get their crack on the big team once injuries happen and they have to make the most of their opportunity.
I got so much shit here when I knocked Ryan Spooner down a few pegs when he was the next big thing here. It is shiny new toy syndrome and we see it every single season. I am just trying to take an honest approach going into this pivitol off season. They need to nail this to usher in the next wave of the Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad