2024-25 PWHL Thread

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
League-level ownership (and probably their "Advisors") were emboldened by an unexpectedly successful Season #1, so they are busy reshaping the organization to reach a higher bar & focus on revised goals for Season #2.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The league running all 6 franchises... that will have to change will it not?

How much autonomy does a GM have? Darwitz also has no chance of being hired within the league in it's current state.. Did Darwitz color outside the lines with some of her moves?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
It will have to if it is to be taken seriously in the future... but Walter will definitely make sure the price tags are high to make as they are currently spending a small fortune on broadcast production. However I doubt it will happen for another while as some elements would not like losing control of the situation...

I would says GMs autonomy is similar to anywhere else, except they have to contend more for power due to said elements. At the end of the day, it's about running a team. But it seems in her case, she was also doing equipment manager stuff as well. I don't think her successor will do that.

From The Athletic
“Besides building it from the bottom and setting everything up and drafting and signing the players that led us to a championship, she spent hours and hours doing everything — waking up at 4 a.m., moving equipment to the rink, hanging dirty equipment, unpacking bags, stuff like that. I mean, stuff GMs don’t do,” one team source said. “(It’s) a real shame.”

She was offered to take on a job within league operations as an alternative but can't blame her for not going for it. This league is amazing on the sporting side but behind the scenes is one vipers' nest.

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
How many drafted players and free agents are going to look at this drama & balk at signing with Minny? The team could end up having an even more polarized locker room, with Coyne Schofield & Klee recruiting through the summer from a small pool of talent that have personal reasons to sympathize with them while existing players on contract remain split (presuming there are some others who did not support Darwitz) and look for ways out (trade or retire or some other means allowed by the CBA). Meanwhile Ottawa & New York have gotta be figuring one of them has a new lease on life for the 2024-25 post-season race, unless the League changes course & starts expanding now.

The PWHL is dragging their FIRST Silly Season into a murky pond of contaminated rink water. Hold your breaths. 😳

Ad

Ad

Ad