Prospect Info: [2023 - 101st] Florian Xhekaj (OHL - Brantford Bulldogs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
His athleticism for his size is something else. Add that he's a bulldog and just enjoys being mean, at 6'4"... And the thing I enjoy the most about the new wave of prospects vs the Timmins picks: they understand the game. Yeah, he's an NHLer.
It was pretty funny how in junior when he’d be rushing up the ice no one really wanted to get in his way lol. I wonder how that translates to the pros. I’m sure as he gets older most NHLers won’t want that smoke either.

He has way too much going for him to not be a net plus on our roster even if it’s in the bottom 6.

It’s going to be so fun next year following all these guys and he’ll be one to watch

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The most interesting thing is he seems like a player, that if given skilled wingers, could finish plays and put up more points than expected. He would be the product of someone else's talent, but what does that matter if the results come?

Reactions: Andrei79

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
The most interesting thing is he seems like a player, that if given skilled wingers, could finish plays and put up more points than expected. He would be the product of someone else's talent, but what does that matter if the results come?
Because of his physical presence and threat as a deterrent, he could be paired with a smallish playmaker like Mesar in way much less likely with a more diminutive center, especially if he fills out and keeps developing his pugilistic abilities.

Reactions: dralaf

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Call it a hot take, but I compare Alber to a gritter Dvorak. Both are centers and good on the faceoff. They can't (and won't) be play drivers at this level but their game is conservative and consistent enough.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It was pretty funny how in junior when he’d be rushing up the ice no one really wanted to get in his way lol. I wonder how that translates to the pros. I’m sure as he gets older most NHLers won’t want that smoke either.

He has way too much going for him to not be a net plus on our roster even if it’s in the bottom 6.

It’s going to be so fun next year following all these guys and he’ll be one to watch
The beauty of it is he has an important role already waiting for him on this club.
A hard heavy mean SOB who has skills enough to play up the line up when needed is HUGE.
The NHL will always remain an intimidation league and having deterrents is critical.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
The next Claude Lemieux. Important for the playoffs
No one is that screwy. Lemieux fought a bit when he first came up, but then the antics started. He became an agitator and somewhat dirty. I of course agree about him in the playoffs. Regular season too.

I remember a game against Hartford when he took a drink out of the goalies water bottle! Not sure what he said to Lemieux.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
This guys a wild card. He's a big guy with really nice hands and a great work ethic. Wonder if he'll surprise at camp, he wants to make the big team first try like his bro did.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This guys a wild card. He's a big guy with really nice hands and a great work ethic. Wonder if he'll surprise at camp, he wants to make the big team first try like his bro did.
At Development camp last month no prospect stood out more.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
No one is that screwy. Lemieux fought a bit when he first came up, but then the antics started. He became an agitator and somewhat dirty. I of course agree about him in the playoffs. Regular season too.

I remember a game against Hartford when he took a drink out of the goalies water bottle! Not sure what he said to Lemieux.
There was a game where he faked an injury laying on the ice and no trainer came out to help him. lol

Reactions: schwang26

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Arber was on Spittin' Chicklets and he said Florian is like 210 lbs. If true, Florian is now 6'4" and 210 lbs.

He also said he's a beast. And Arber and his dad were asking him why he always plays angry because he'd always fight and run through guys. 🤣

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Arber was on Spittin' Chicklets and he said Florian is like 210 lbs. If true, Florian is now 6'4" and 210 lbs.

He also said he's a beast. And Arber and his dad were asking him why he always plays angry because he'd always fight and run through guys. 🤣
If he pans out this will be huge for helping the Habs build a contender. These types of players are hard to find

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If he pans out this will be huge for helping the Habs build a contender. These types of players are hard to find

In the famous words of Bobrov, he's a unicorn.

Him and Tuch. I just envision the two of them doing what they do in Laval before coming up to the big club and doing it there, too.

This is why I'm a fan of drafting guys like Florian and Pez. They're a different profile of a player than the others and thus help diversify your prospect pool and eventually, your line-up.

Teams who want to make runs in the playoffs look for those types of players. If you already have them, you don't need to go out and get them.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
If I were Florian, I’d be working on my 200 ft game and forechecking. He could also slot in on the 4th.
As I have previously posted, after watching Florian last year, I think many people here, due to his name and size, have not surprisingly, miscast Florian as bottom six forward. This kid has superior skating and offensive skills. His offensive vision allowed him to be an important cog (playing the right point/half-boards) on the Bulldogs' power play. This is not your usual 4th line grinder. As he showed at the recent development camp, his future success in the NHL will rest on his hockey skills and not his supposed physical prowess.

While it is highly doubtful that Florian makes the team out of training camp, I think if he can repeat his level of play at Laval at the end of last season (where he was very effective) he will be the first call up if injuries strike. This was a great 4th round pick. The type of intuitive pick that can materially alter your team's depth and talent level.

Last edited:

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Florian Xhekaj is a better version of Michael Pezzetta. He was 19 in junior last year, a point per game is nothing to be very excited about. He is bottom-6 stuff at best, which would be great for a 4th round pick.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Florian Xhekaj is a better version of Michael Pezzetta. He was 19 in junior last year, a point per game is nothing to be very excited about. He is bottom-6 stuff at best, which would be great for a 4th round pick.

Calling Xhekaj a better version of Pezzetta is misleading. He's better in pretty much every category, whether physically or skillwise.

Just like Arber, Florian is a late bloomer who missed critical time due to the pandemic, which delayed his progression.

In their D+2 (Xhekaj "D+1" as he was passed once), the contrast is evident.

Pezzetta 62 gp 23 goals 52 points -16 PO 12 gp 1 goal 2 points -3

Xhekaj 63 gp 34 goals 65 points +17 PO 6 gp 3 goals 5 points +0

I think the gap will deepen this year.

Xhekaj might never become more than a bottom 6 player, but he will be a way more valuable one than Pezzetta. The kind of guy Cup contenders salivate of having.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Calling Xhekaj a better version of Pezzetta is misleading. He's better in pretty much every category, whether physically or skillwise.

Just like Arber, Florian is a late bloomer who missed critical time due to the pandemic, which delayed his progression.

In their D+2 (Xhekaj "D+1" as he was passed once), the contrast is evident.

Pezzetta 62 gp 23 goals 52 points -16 PO 12 gp 1 goal 2 points -3

Xhekaj 63 gp 34 goals 65 points +17 PO 6 gp 3 goals 5 points +0

I think the gap will deepen this year.

Xhekaj might never become more than a bottom 6 player, but he will be a way more valuable one than Pezzetta. The kind of guy Cup contenders salivate of having.
Xhekaj is a lot better skater then i expected!

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
As I have previously posted, after watching Florian last year, I think many people here, due to his name and size, have not surprisingly, miscast Florian as bottom six forward. This kid has superior skating and offensive skills. His offensive vision allowed him to be an important cog (playing the right point/half-boards) on the Bulldogs' power play. This is not your usual 4th line grinder. As he showed at the recent development camp, his future success in the NHL will rest on his hockey skills and not his supposed physical prowess.

While it is highly doubtful that Florian makes the team out of training camp, I think if he can repeat his level of play at Laval at the end of last season (where he was very effective) he will be the first call up if injuries strike. This was a great 4th round pick. The type of intuitive pick that can materially alter your team's depth and talent level.

I like that you talk about his vision as I haven't seen many bring it up. He has a good understanding of the game, both where his teammates will be and how to find ice for himself. His puck skills are good, his shot is as hard as Beck's, he uses crossovers/unders in the neutral zone like top 6 players, all of that in a 6'4" package who enjoys violence. We'll see where he told out, but considering where he was picked, anything over a career AHLer is a bonus. I would have been happy if he was picked in 2022 at Mesars spot considering how he's developed.

• Love
Reactions: HabzSauce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad