NFL: 2024-25 NFL News, Notes, Other Probably Dumb Stuff and the Like (Bryce Young benched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
carson palmer went #1 and didn't play a single snap his rookie season. he turned out fine. and its not like jon kitna was a franchise QB

You're ignoring that Kitna had his best season of career that year and Bengals were in playoff race thru year before blowing it at end

Ravens and Bengals were both 8-6 but Bengals lost last 2 games

So again, a situation in which team had something to play for and a vet starter playing good

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You're ignoring that Kitna had his best season of career that year and Bengals were in playoff race thru year before blowing it at end

Ravens and Bengals were both 8-6 but Bengals lost last 2 games

So again, a situation in which team had something to play for and a vet starter playing good

kitna having a career year doesn't really have anything to do with palmer though. and that bengals team was a lot better than the previous season, but still pretty mediocre overall. they went 8-8 the next season as well

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Extensions don't guarantee his job (especially with a guy like Ross who isn't scared to throw money around) but I don't hate it...I think?

The wild card game left a bad taste in my mouth. McDaniel refuses to adjust/adapt to the game as it goes on and it's by far been the most infuriating part of his tenure. But at the same time, he's unironically probably the best coach they've had since Shula so yeah, lock him up long term for sure. Probably won't do better by spinning the coaching carousel again either. Not to mention he's done fantastic work building a culture that seemingly everyone wants to be a part of in Miami from the stars right down to the lunch pail guys.

He's certainly a bright enough mind where he should be capable of adjusting, and it was only his second full year as a head coach (and first with a healthy Tua)

First time in my life the Dolphins have a HC/QB duo that were both worth extensions.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

This is f***ing dumb

You're suspending a FA for week 1

So, any team interested in him can just sign him after wk 1 without issue or if they want can sign him knowing he wont be ready for wk 1 and let him sit for his suspension

• Haha
Reactions: Terry Yake

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I think it is dumb to draft a QB at #2 just to sit him for entire season

There isn't an Alex Smith or Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers blocking kid.

Also, its unlikely NE will have much better of an OL next year either. So do you advocating sitting him then as well?
Maybe they just want Brissett to be the hit eater for the few games he does start? I'm not sure if the Pats have a good OL....and well, there is the whole strategic factor of sucking a bit for draft position...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it is dumb to draft a QB at #2 just to sit him for entire season

There isn't an Alex Smith or Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers blocking kid.

Also, its unlikely NE will have much better of an OL next year either. So do you advocating sitting him then as well?
With Maye, even going #3, it's a smart move to asess the entire situation. They don't have Dante S. to coach up the OL anymore. Wise move, IMO to start Brissett to evaluate how the starting OL holds up against starting DLs in September. If they are at least average, then they can plan to start Maye sometime in October vs November. if OL is garbage, it's going to be tough for a QB that is more Raw as you want the kid to go through the progressions and make his reads, not run for his life and get sacked like David Carr in Houston where he then later hears footsteps and bails on pocket or sees ghosts like Darnold. Basically end up developing bad habits

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Bengals need to pay Chase and get him on the field now. They're going to do it anyways, and the price isn't going to go down if they wait until next year. They kinda have to be all-in to win the Super Bowl this year since Higgins is going to leave.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Bengals need to pay Chase and get him on the field now. They're going to do it anyways, and the price isn't going to go down if they wait until next year. They kinda have to be all-in to win the Super Bowl this year since Higgins is going to leave.
The non-QBs from that 2021 class, taken between Lawrence to Jones were excellent, but only 3 have signed another contract. Waddell, Smith, and Sewell.

Pitts, Surtain II, Horn, Slater, Chase, Parsons, Vera-Tucker. No new deal yet. Tucker, understand since he has some injuries. Think Slater also got hurt. Pitts, under used so far in his career. But, Chase, Parsons, Surtain II and Horn are surprising to not get a new deal yet.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yep, if it’s true that he’s willing to take the Jeffersson deal+ a dollar then just do it

We saw how massively the market went up this year, why wait for the same next year

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This is such an embarrassing standoff with the Jets and Reddick

Reminds me of the Late senators owner
-- Owner = Ill spend on the roster when the fans show up
--- fans = we'll show up when the owner spends on the roster

$2.9 million in fines?????

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Reddick, not sure how his agent agreed to that structure. Either you get a bunch of guaranteed money up front or if your deal isn’t a massive AAV you aim to have the non guaranteed year at a high base to force a restructure or a cut.

Extra years only help the team with the AAV and cap hit. Need to set it up better.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Reddick hasn’t had a long term contract before and wants one now. Guys gonna be 30, can’t blame him for holding out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Reddick hasn’t had a long term contract before and wants one now. Guys gonna be 30, can’t blame him for holding out.
Reddick did his 4 year rookie $13.5 mill deal but didn't get the 5th year option picked up. Went to Carolina for $8 mill on a 1 year deal. Then to Phi for 3 years and $45 mill. Got $31.5 mill over the first 2 years (the guaranteed portion). So, around $53 mill earned so far after 7 seasons.

He had 13 sacks in year 4 in AZ and then 11 in CAR. That PHI deal ended up being the best he could get after a pair of double digit sack seasons. He turns 30 in 3 weeks. Best case is that he gets guaranteed money for 2024 and 2025. Similar type of structure to his Phi deal. Whether he can secure $35-40 mill in guarantees, who knows.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Well then this is entirely on the jets for not agreeing right at the trade.

i show up to the first day of camp which is like walk throughs and stretching and say Im here.
if they dont start negotiating "day of" then I leave.

now this is a billionaire vs a millionaire on who's gonna break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad