NFL: 2024-25 NFL News, Notes, Other Probably Dumb Stuff and the Like (Bryce Young benched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Malik Nabers is going to wear #1 for the Giants, which means they have unretired the number, with permission of Ray Flaherty’s family. It was retired in 1935. It was the first number retired in NFL history.
I get unretiring a number for a veteran like for jj watt, Peyton, rice in Seattle. But for a rookie? He wore 8 in college. 18 and 88 natural options are available.

Reactions: VaporTrail

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I get unretiring a number for a veteran like for jj watt, Peyton, rice in Seattle. But for a rookie? He wore 8 in college. 18 and 88 natural options are available.
He wanted a single digit. It’s all the rage these days. No idea what happens when they all get retired. It’s like when I was a kid, double numbers were the thing.

Some of these guys in those ancient times also changed numbers constantly. Flaherty wore the number for 36 games. Not to diminish their contributions, but some of the ones that were retired way back when probably aren’t up to the standard that the NFL would approve today.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
seeing non-QBs, kickers, and punters wearing single digit numbers still looks so weird to me
Especially on Defence. I was fine letting WR and RB wear 1-19 as well. Not sure they needed to open it up to defenders as well.

Makes 1-19 numbers a premium. Why they are allowing P and K to go up to 49 now. To free up 2 lower numbers to the O and D players.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t mind the numbers, there isn’t a reason not to do it. What annoys me is when players change their number without changing teams. Just me, but if I was a highly regarded player, I wouldn’t want someone else to change their number to give to me. Some kid may have gotten that jersey for Christmas or their birthday. May make exception if it’s a player returning to a team.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Are they going to try to convince Aiyuk to join them by overpaying and guaranteeing the whole deal like they did with Watson?
Don't see why not. It worked out tremendously well when they offered a fully guaranteed contract to a disgruntled player who asked for a trade last time.

I'd pump the brakes a little though. Do we even know if Aiyuk has committed any crime?

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Deshaun has a cap hit of nearly $73 million (!!) coming up the next two years. I’m sure they’ll restructure it again but sooner or later that bill is coming due. And the best thing they may have to show for it is a playoff appearance fueled by Joe Flacco

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Don't see why not. It worked out tremendously well when they offered a fully guaranteed contract to a disgruntled player who asked for a trade last time.

I'd pump the brakes a little though. Do we even know if Aiyuk has committed any crime?

I am not aware of any transgressions by him, so you can pair him with Watson, and you have the original Odd Couple, you can even try throwing a Reality show together with the two of them sharing a mansion and trying to live with each other and driving each other crazy. It would practically pay for the contracts by itself

• Love
Reactions: Romang67

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Good grief I forgot the Browns gave Jeudy $41 million guaranteed. I get it “cap never goes down” restructures, etc. but that’s still ugly.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Deshaun has a cap hit of nearly $73 million (!!) coming up the next two years. I’m sure they’ll restructure it again but sooner or later that bill is coming due. And the best thing they may have to show for it is a playoff appearance fueled by Joe Flacco
Watson was to average like $45 mill per year cap charge as his 5 year deal was fully guaranteed. After 2 seasons browns have only taken $30 mill in cap charges. So $60 mill pushed forward. If the browns can’t win before the end of the 5 year deal I don’t know how they manage the cap after the deal is done.

Reactions: The Note

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008

not a surprise anyone who watched knew Drake has potential but wasn't ready to start right away

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

not a surprise anyone who watched knew Drake has potential but wasn't ready to start right away

The NE OL is terrible. Best for Mayo to see how the starting OL holds up vs 1st string NFL DL to determine when is best to put Drake him. But, NE is going to need to see Drake Maye play and start like half the season to get a reading on him. Very likely to have a top 3 pick again this season and need to know whether they should keep him or roll with a QB from 2025 draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t mind the numbers, there isn’t a reason not to do it. What annoys me is when players change their number without changing teams. Just me, but if I was a highly regarded player, I wouldn’t want someone else to change their number to give to me. Some kid may have gotten that jersey for Christmas or their birthday. May make exception if it’s a player returning to a team.
I did see a couple of Raiders change numbers. Zamir White going from 35 to 3. Moehrig from 25 to 7.

Players just need to accept that since any player (aside from OL) can wear whatever number they want, that they likely won't get their desired number when they get drafted or sign / get traded to another team.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
pats would be best off just having maye sit out the season. he's going to get killed behind that o-line

I think it is dumb to draft a QB at #2 just to sit him for entire season

There isn't an Alex Smith or Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers blocking kid.

Also, its unlikely NE will have much better of an OL next year either. So do you advocating sitting him then as well?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

Also, its unlikely NE will have much better of an OL next year either. So do you advocating sitting him then as well?
carson palmer went #1 and didn't play a single snap his rookie season. he turned out fine. and its not like jon kitna was a franchise QB

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

He'll probably get a couple starts towards the end of the season.

It's always like this with highly drafted QBs. They come out with the mandated "yeah he's gonna sit" line, the team blows ass through the first half of the season and then the kid gets his shot when it's obvious everything i lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad