Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Don’t really see a fit for the blues.

I actually think Toronto could have interest in fowler…. But idk what they have on top of liljegren to persuade us
toronto has Reilly, OEL, Mccabe and Beniot as their LHD; dont see them having interest in another LHD. they also have like no cap space (technically they have like 1$ in cap space lol)

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I definitely think there’s interest in Fowler, but it’s tough to see him fit on most teams. Here are a few options I came up with:

Detroit for Maatta + Veleno +
Winnipeg for Pionk +
New York Islanders for Pageau +
New York Rangers for Lindgren +
Pittsburgh for Graves/Rakell +

Not many great options, but I still think Detroit makes the most sense. Of course, significant retention would open up some more options, but I’m not confident we would do that.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I definitely think there’s interest in Fowler, but it’s tough to see him fit on most teams. Here are a few options I came up with:

Detroit for Maatta + Veleno +
Winnipeg for Pionk +
New York Islanders for Pageau +
New York Rangers for Lindgren +
Pittsburgh for Graves/Rakell +

Not many great options, but I still think Detroit makes the most sense. Of course, significant retention would open up some more options, but I’m not confident we would do that.
Rakell returning to Anaheim would be interesting, he didn't want to play for a rebuilding team but Pittsburgh is no longer a contender at all, having missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and they needed to start a rebuild already and the Ducks will be much closer to contending again than Pittsburgh.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Uh, but there is plenty of veteran presence on the roster without Fowler.

They just named a veteran captain. Dumolin/Killorn have both won 2 Stanley cups. Strome/Vatrano/Fabbri have been around the block.

We’re not icing the San Diego gulls if Fowler isn’t here

There’s zero evidence that the roles these guys would be playing without Fowler would be detrimental to their development - provided that the coaching staff distributes minutes correctly

How so, I don’t feel the team needs another puck moving 3/4 guy on the left side. If he was more of an anchor defensively, or more physical I wouldn’t mind…. But he’s average at best in terms of defense, and he’s 1 of the softest players in the league.

I also have said I don’t mind waiting till deadline to up his value a bit… in terms of more teams pursuing him potentially. But I won’t cry if he’s traded this week(maybe cry a little but they’d be tears of happiness)

Fowler’s skill set is redundant with what we already have. Puck moving LHD. He isn’t good in his own zone. Mintyukov, LaCombe, and Zellweger can do what he is doing at this point. Ducks D won’t be any worse if Cam is traded. Fowler getting caved in isn’t protecting anyone. Heck, LaCombe looked like a different player once they got him away from Fowler.

My response to all 3 of these posts is basically the same. Today, Fowler (flawed though he may be) is still better suited to playing a top 3 role than most of the young guys. I think it is flat wrong to say that "Mintyukov, LaCombe, and Zellweger can do what he is doing at this point". Maybe Minty (who I really like), but the other two guys are no where near the players that Fowler is.

Having Fowler on the team shelters the younger guys and allows them to develop as the season progresses. It is better for the teams overall play and the development of the players to keep Fowler - for now.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Guys, we can't let Fowler tear us apart like this lol.

Love_will_tear_us_apart.jpg

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Interesting watching people say young players playing without vet support/above their heads has no impact on their development when talking about trading Fowler, an example of that happening
That’s not an example of that happening though. Fowler maybe just never had the potential any of us thought he had - part of the reason he fell to #12 in that draft.

You guys thought he was the next Niedermayer but he was really just a poor man’s Jay Boumester

Still a very good career

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
That’s not an example of that happening though. Fowler maybe just never had the potential any of us thought he had - part of the reason he fell to #12 in that draft.

You guys thought he was the next Niedermayer but he was really just a poor man’s Jay Boumester

Still a very good career
We both can argue the opposite, but we will never know because of how he was thrown to the wolves and has been essentially his entire career

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad