Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Probably the same people who want to acquire Laine “for nothing”.

If the Ducks are going to spend $7 million this year and $9 million next year on a player I want him to be more of a sure thing than Laine is.
What the hell do you care about what he makes for the next 2 years? The Ducks have 21 million in cap space this year, 40 mil in cap space next year with only McTavish as the major contract in that time.

He could literally be a 4th liner and all it does is cost the owners cash. It isn't like trading for him is going to stop the Ducks from signing/trading for someone else.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
What the hell do you care about what he makes for the next 2 years? The Ducks have 21 million in cap space this year, 40 mil in cap space next year with only McTavish as the major contract in that time.

He could literally be a 4th liner and all it does is cost the owners cash. It isn't like trading for him is going to stop the Ducks from signing/trading for someone else.
It’s not my money, right?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
This from the same guy that posted hundreds of times that Eichel would be a gimp after his surgery.

Sometimes you gotta grow a pair and make a move.
depends on the cost and the outlook. Eichel would have cost a ton and done nothing on a bad ducks team. Pretending otherwise is foolish. Laine I can stomach if it’s a hockey trade for an overpaid roster player like strome or Gibson. But I seriously doubt that PV has any interest in Laine. He doesn’t strike me as the type of GM who is a riverboat gambler looking for an inside straight on the river card. But we’ll see.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
It’s not my money, right?
Umm.... it isn't. Being afraid to take on Laine because it may be an insufficient way to spend cash is such a bad take for so many reasons.

Even if he is only a 40 point guy it isn't like they are lighting money on fire. Shit, Bertuzzi just signed a longterm deal at 5.5 mil and he has been a 40 point guy the last 2 years.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Umm.... it isn't. Being afraid to take on Laine because it may be an insufficient way to spend cash is such a bad take for so many reasons.

Even if he is only a 40 point guy it isn't like they are lighting money on fire. Shit, Bertuzzi just signed a longterm deal at 5.5 mil and he has been a 40 point guy the last 2 years.
It’s a risk and even you must recognize that. And it’s a two year risk. A good Laine would help the team. A bad Laine along with a bad Gibson would require a full time psychologist in the locker room. Could be toxic for the young kids. And at the end of 2 years you either trade him for a 4th or for a late 1st who you hope will be as good in 5 years as the player you give up now.

I assume you have some business background..at least enough to know that every organization has a 3-5 year strategic plan. How does Laine fit into the Ducks strategic plan?

Oct 18, 2011
Just reading some of the responses here make me laugh. Some people here really are settled on not improving at all.

I need to know explicitly who’s going to score the goals here. Just being ‘healthy’ isn’t a good enough argument. Injuries are bound to happen, cold streaks are inevitable, and I don’t believe this coach (or staff) will know what to get the best out of these guys.

Sure, Laine is damaged goods, but he would instantly be a dynamic offensive RHS threat who can be impactful.
I agree with adding more talent, I just prefer not burning assets unless it's for a top 4 D. But it all comes down to price and Anaheim is in position where they do not have to worry about salary matching or anything which gives them an advantage

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
God no on Laine. He’s the type of player that needs to go to a team like Carolina/Dallas/Boston - a team with a proven core of veterans around him

Putting him on an up and coming team like us is a gamble that we just can’t make. I’d rather see what Colangelo/Nesterenko can do in a 3rd line role the first 15-20 games instead

I think the ducks are done making moves until the trade deadline anyway. Maybe they move a D but at this point I kind of doubt it

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
God no on Laine. He’s the type of player that needs to go to a team like Carolina/Dallas/Boston - a team with a proven core of veterans around him

Putting him on an up and coming team like us is a gamble that we just can’t make. I’d rather see what Colangelo/Nesterenko can do in a 3rd line role the first 15-20 games instead

I think the ducks are done making moves until the trade deadline anyway. Maybe they move a D but at this point I kind of doubt it
How can you say that when you don't know the price to acquire. The price to acquire is the pivot for this conversation. Obviously if we have to give a protected 1st then it is not worth the risk because there is downside.

If the return is a middling prospect and a 2nd then I think that is worth the risk, especially when he will fetch more then that at the deadline if he is even a 40 point guy.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I would welcome Laine but I have my reservations as well, for sure.

On top of him joining an inexoerienced and unproven young core, Cronin just doesn't strike me as the right coach for Laine. Laine would be better off getting a shot at someplace like Tampa, a proven winning core. But that's impossible because of the contract. Well, that's the reason his price should be cheap

Reactions: Firequacker

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
I don't love the idea of trading LaCombe for a "well, if he doesn't work out it's just money" kind of gamble. IMO he's probably our best trade piece right now ('best' in terms of balancing probable value with how much it would hurt to lose him) and if he's going to be moved, I'd rather it be involved in something with a little less potential to derail spectacularly.

Rather do something with picks, trade a dice roll for a dice roll. But Columbus probably doesn't need to settle for just that.

Reactions: Kalv

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
A Laine trade for us would be 2026 2nd, 2025 3rd + decent prospect based on what other teams are rumoured to have offered. Thing is to get him you need to have the best offer so it would need to be better than that.

I prefer to take our shots at the draft rather than on someone who could cause problems and not be here in 2 years.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
A Laine trade for us would be 2025 2nd, 2024 3rd + decent prospect based on what other teams are rumoured to have offered. Thing is to get him you need to have the best offer so it would need to be better than that.

I prefer to take our shots at the draft rather than on someone who could cause problems and not be here in 2 years.
Ducks don't have a 25 2nd.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Well, on NHLN today Portzline (the CBJ beat writer) says that Waddell is looking for a hockey trade for Laine to bring in a veteran. This directly contradicts what Waddell said a week ago. What to believe...what to believe...

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Well, on NHLN today Portzline (the CBJ beat writer) says that Waddell is looking for a hockey trade for Laine to bring in a veteran. This directly contradicts what Waddell said a week ago. What to believe...what to believe...
Is there a source for Waddell saying he wanted picks and prospects a week ago? I thought that was just a report from someone (might have actually been Portzline, can't remember).

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ok, so Waddell didn't actually say anything. Portzline just can't make up his mind.
Very possible but as the Columbus "insider" that's a great way to lose credibility pretty quickly. Portzline writes for the Athletic so I can't get his articles but the link below is a good summary. He has been all over the place on this one...

Reactions: All Mighty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad