Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I don’t think Laine is like the PLD scenario. Ducks aren’t signing him to an 8 year deal. He’s here for 2 years and maybe he works out and if he does, they consider a resign. If not, he’s gone. I think it’s a good buy low scenario for the Ducks and hopefully he can rebound. He has talent and has shown to be a scorer in the NHL. At some point, I want the Ducks to use some draft and prospect capital to obtain more talent. Usually teams can only get talented players like Laine in a buy low scenario.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
FWIW, Aaron Portzline wrote today about Laine:

“There are plenty of destinations. If we had to pick two: Anaheim and Carolina, with Montreal an outside shot.”
My money would be on Utah if they are willing to roll the dice...new ownership that wants to make a splash and compete this year, plenty of cap space, and tons of future 2nd round picks and D prospects. Carolina doesn't have the cap space unless Necas is part of the deal going back to Columbus. Montreal would offer the usual suspects and get turned down.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
My money would be on Utah if they are willing to roll the dice...new ownership that wants to make a splash and compete this year, plenty of cap space, and tons of future 2nd round picks and D prospects. Carolina doesn't have the cap space unless Necas is part of the deal going back to Columbus. Montreal would offer the usual suspects and get turned down.
Utah is my best guess. They would be pretty close to the cap if Columbus doesn't retain, but I think Utah would be OK with that.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Utah is my best guess. They would be pretty close to the cap if Columbus doesn't retain, but I think Utah would be OK with that.
I'm sure they would with the very deep pockets of the new ownership.

The question is...are they willing to gamble on Laine or wait until they see how he performs at the beginning of the season with Columbus? That, of course, is the question that every team will be asking themselves.

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
You are proposing to send $5.9 million in salary back. I've no problem with your trade proposal but I don't see Waddell biting on it based on his public comments.
Maybe you are right but if I’m Pat Verbeek and I’m taking the full 8.7 million back then Strome seems like a good choice to add on the Ducks end. If Columbus would retain a bit maybe McGinn would work. I’d rather see Strome and his contract leave but it might be harder to move

Reactions: tomd

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I'm sure they would with the very deep pockets of the new ownership.

The question is...are they willing to gamble on Laine or wait until they see how he performs at the beginning of the season with Columbus? That, of course, is the question that every team will be asking themselves.

Laines value goes up extremely quickly if he starts the seasons with Columbus and tears it up. The "buy low" potential disappears very quickly.

Also for anyone thinking they'd be willing to spend a third or something on him, that means you're out on him. People penny pinching 2nds is a joke.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Laines value goes up extremely quickly if he starts the seasons with Columbus and tears it up. The "buy low" potential disappears very quickly.

Also for anyone thinking they'd be willing to spend a third or something on him, that means you're out on him. People penny pinching 2nds is a joke.
Once the season starts and rosters are set, there will be relatively few teams that can absorb his salary until the TDL. Utah is one of those teams. I don't think there will be a bidding war in November for him even if he starts hot. Teams just won't have the cap space. IMO waiting is well worth the risk.

I think Columbus will struggle to get a 1st from any team but multiple 2nd's is a definite possibility. Utah and Chicago have the market cornered on those. Anaheim doesn't.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don’t think Laine is like the PLD scenario. Ducks aren’t signing him to an 8 year deal. He’s here for 2 years and maybe he works out and if he does, they consider a resign. If not, he’s gone. I think it’s a good buy low scenario for the Ducks and hopefully he can rebound. He has talent and has shown to be a scorer in the NHL. At some point, I want the Ducks to use some draft and prospect capital to obtain more talent. Usually teams can only get talented players like Laine in a buy low scenario.

Laine and PLD are similar in that teams are looking for saviors. SAVIORS. Anaheim needs to find their saviors through the draft.

What's a buy low scenario?

I already know Laine and his production hasn't dragged Columbus out from the bottom-6 for the past few years. I know he's injury prone. I also know he's owed $8.7 mil for the next two seasons. I know he was recently cleared of a mental issue. Laine could be back into that mental program at any time going forward.

Laine
SeasonTeamGPGAPts+/-Draft yearR1 pick
2020-21WPG
1​
2​
1​
3​
1​
TradeCLB
45​
10​
11​
21​
-29​
2021​
5th OA
2021-22CLB
56​
26​
30​
56​
-7​
2022​
6th OA
2022-23CLB
55​
22​
30​
52​
-12​
2023​
3rd OA
2023-24CLB
18​
6​
3​
9​
-10​
2024​
4th OA

LaCombe is not a buy low option IMO, especially since we didn't add a top-4 RD, we don't know well Luneau can be up to speed (since he couldn't workout for the 2nd half of the season due to a knee infection), Moore being a Harvard senior, and we didn't draft any RD's in the top-3 rounds of the 2024 draft (we didn't draft any RD's). We waited four years for LaCombe to develop at college and he made the NHL club last year as a rookie. Out of the four rookie D-men last year, LaCombe is further advanced defensively than the other three in Minty, Luneau, and Zellweger.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Once the season starts and rosters are set, there will be relatively few teams that can absorb his salary until the TDL. Utah is one of those teams. I don't think there will be a bidding war in November for him even if he starts hot. Teams just won't have the cap space. IMO waiting is well worth the risk.

I think Columbus will struggle to get a 1st from any team but multiple 2nd's is a definite possibility. Utah and Chicago have the market cornered on those. Anaheim doesn't.

Teams make room for a healthy and productive Laine.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Teams make room for a healthy and productive Laine.
Maybe but it is easier said than done...especially if Waddell won't retain or take back salary.

I must admit I'm confused by Waddell and his changing stance on Laine. IIRC, he said a few weeks ago that he was looking for a hockey trade and that made sense. Now he's looking for picks and prospects and for an $8.7 million cap player that makes very little sense. The teams that can afford that cap hit are the same teams that are least likely to want to part with picks and prospects.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Laine and PLD are similar in that teams are looking for saviors. SAVIORS. Anaheim needs to find their saviors through the draft.

What's a buy low scenario?

I already know Laine and his production hasn't dragged Columbus out from the bottom-6 for the past few years. I know he's injury prone. I also know he's owed $8.7 mil for the next two seasons. I know he was recently cleared of a mental issue. Laine could be back into that mental program at any time going forward.

Laine
SeasonTeamGPGAPts+/-Draft yearR1 pick
2020-21WPG
1​
2​
1​
3​
1​
TradeCLB
45​
10​
11​
21​
-29​
2021​
5th OA
2021-22CLB
56​
26​
30​
56​
-7​
2022​
6th OA
2022-23CLB
55​
22​
30​
52​
-12​
2023​
3rd OA
2023-24CLB
18​
6​
3​
9​
-10​
2024​
4th OA

LaCombe is not a buy low option IMO, especially since we didn't add a top-4 RD, we don't know well Luneau can be up to speed (since he couldn't workout for the 2nd half of the season due to a knee infection), Moore being a Harvard senior, and we didn't draft any RD's in the top-3 rounds of the 2024 draft (we didn't draft any RD's). We waited four years for LaCombe to develop at college and he made the NHL club last year as a rookie. Out of the four rookie D-men last year, LaCombe is further advanced defensively than the other three in Minty, Luneau, and Zellweger.
Uh a buy low scenario is getting Laine for less than he would cost if he were currently a 40 goal scorer. He has the talent but obviously issues are causing his value to sink.

I see a lot of people saying everything that “could” go wrong with Laine and I don’t disagree there are risks. But what if it goes right and suddenly the Ducks have a big Right Shot RW who scores 35 goals? That’s not worth giving up a 2nd or 3rd and a B prospect (not saying that is exactly what it will take because who knows how low a trade the Jackets will take)? To me he’s worth the risk.

And I’m not sure why you pivoted to Lacombe but you do spend a lot of time defending Lacombe and Eakins.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Maybe but it is easier said than done...especially if Waddell won't retain or take back salary.

I must admit I'm confused by Waddell and his changing stance on Laine. IIRC, he said a few weeks ago that he was looking for a hockey trade and that made sense. Now he's looking for picks and prospects and for an $8.7 million cap player that makes very little sense. The teams that can afford that cap hit are the same teams that are least likely to want to part with picks and prospects.
Probably because Waddell’s idea of a hockey trade that made sense didn’t jive with any of 31 other teams’ idea of a hockey trade that made sense.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

It's possible that type of deal just isn't out there so he's moved onto what is more likely.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

Also the same teams most likely to be on Laine's no trade list.

I don't think Laine is a great fit for the Ducks - they need guys who will drive offense and Laine is mostly a finisher. However, they need finishers, too, and they have plenty of cap space. If the price is LaCombe plus a 4th or something, then why not give it a go. But I think Columbus is going to ask for more. And I just don't think he's worth more to the Ducks.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Just reading some of the responses here make me laugh. Some people here really are settled on not improving at all.

I need to know explicitly who’s going to score the goals here. Just being ‘healthy’ isn’t a good enough argument. Injuries are bound to happen, cold streaks are inevitable, and I don’t believe this coach (or staff) will know what to get the best out of these guys.

Sure, Laine is damaged goods, but he would instantly be a dynamic offensive RHS threat who can be impactful.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I have been against Laine over the years when people wanted to acquire him. The price to acquire him along with a longterm contract for a guy that is underperforming was not appealing.

Now it is a totally different situation.
  • His cap basically doesnt matter. We have 21+ mil in cap space with noone big to sign. We can easily take the full cap without sending a dump back or requiring retention.
  • His contract expires at the exact time the Ducks need it to.
  • His bonus was already paid for this year, meaning his salary is lower then his cap him.
  • The cost to acquire him could be basically nothing assuming the Ducks take back a full cap. If he sucks then it doesnt really matter. It isn't like we missed out on anything other then the cash.
  • Even if he is average, he will get a return at the deadline next year.
He is a perfect gamble for a team like the Duck to take. Especially with the glaring hole in the top 6.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Just reading some of the responses here make me laugh. Some people here really are settled on not improving at all.

I need to know explicitly who’s going to score the goals here. Just being ‘healthy’ isn’t a good enough argument. Injuries are bound to happen, cold streaks are inevitable, and I don’t believe this coach (or staff) will know what to get the best out of these guys.

Sure, Laine is damaged goods, but he would instantly be a dynamic offensive RHS threat who can be impactful.
That's what Columbus fans thought too I'm sure...

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Q11qI have been against Laine over the years when people wanted to acquire him. The price to acquire him along with a longterm contract for a guy that is underperforming was not appealing.

Now it is a totally different situation.
  • His cap basically doesnt matter. We have 21+ mil in cap space with noone big to sign. We can easily take the full cap without sending a dump back or requiring retention.
  • His contract expires at the exact time the Ducks need it to.
  • His bonus was already paid for this year, meaning his salary is lower then his cap him.
  • The cost to acquire him could be basically nothing assuming the Ducks take back a full cap. If he sucks then it doesnt really matter. It isn't like we missed out on anything other then the cash.
  • Even if he is average, he will get a return at the deadline next year.
He is a perfect gamble for a team like the Duck to take. Especially with the glaring hole in the top 6.
Selanne needs to pitch playing in Anaheim to Laine, tell him about Yachts in Newport Beach lol.
Worst case scenario they move Laine a year later at deadline for a 1st+ and then use that assets to acquire someone else to improve the team.

Even though the assets used to get Laine would arrive sooner than any picks they get from trading Laine next year those assets could be used to acquire another player so it wouldn't matter too much.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The difference is they traded a premium price. It isnt like the Ducks are trading McTavish for him.
They traded one problem child for another. Who is the Ducks problem child that you are willing to trade?

He’s nearly a consistent 60 point player. We should be doing all we can to acquire him
LA said the same about PLD last year.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
LA said the same about PLD last year.

Oh give me a break lmao. They are two different players. But sure, if you want to keep the team nearly the same on paper then go for it. Just don’t expect us leaving out of the bottom 5 again

At some point, I want the Ducks to use some draft and prospect capital to obtain more talent. Usually teams can only get talented players like Laine in a buy low scenario.

We should be doing that starting this season or next. We have a ton of capital to be flipping off to acquire different types of players

Reactions: DuckRogers10

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
PLD was still a premium asset.

I remember people on this board wanting to trade the 3rd overall + for him.
Probably the same people who want to acquire Laine “for nothing”.

Oh give me a break lmao. They are two different players. But sure, if you want to keep the team nearly the same on paper then go for it. Just don’t expect us leaving out of the bottom 5 again

We should be doing that starting this season or next. We have a ton of capital to be flipping off to acquire different types of players
If the Ducks are going to spend $7 million this year and $9 million next year on a player I want him to be more of a sure thing than Laine is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad