Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Ceci gets maligned but he was playing 18 minutes a night in the cup final merely weeks ago and was a major piece of the best PK of the entire playoffs. I think the third worst team in the league could fit him in.
I dont know, the vision of him and nurse getting caved in doesn't inspire confidence. Failing in big spots is still failing. I guess he can fail here too with the rest of us.

37% xGF in the playoffs is....bad!

Reactions: JAHV

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I wonder if whitecloud in vegas would be available. Maybe not if Pietro really is on the block (doubtful).

One of Theo or Whitecloud is 100% available, but it's not to clear space because the roster is already full and Vegas still has cap to spend. It's to make a spot for Korczak who Mcrimmon said will be a "full time NHL'er" this year.

Reactions: Ditto and Static

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Not sure why people are so down on Lacombe he wasn't exactly put in a position to succeed. It's trial by fire give him some time
Odd man out on the left with Dumo in. Barring some truly spectacular movements he can't beat out anyone.

Also not keen on repeating his RD experiment with heavy minutes. So he's running out of room here for the year.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
One of Theo or Whitecloud is 100% available, but it's not to clear space because the roster is already full and Vegas still has cap to spend. It's to make a spot for Korczak who Mcrimmon said will be a "full time NHL'er" this year.
Do you think Vegas could still be interested in Marner? Looking at the roster, I could imagine a Marner for Theodore + Roy swap, maybe with Toronto retaining a little bit of money. I fully expect them to make some kind of splash.

EDIT: Looking at the Leafs roster, I guess their defense is pretty much filled up, so it wouldn’t make a ton of sense for them, even though Theodore would be an upgrade.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I still don't see a world where TOR moves Marner, as much as they want to scapegoat him as the sole reason for all of their playoff woes.

90+ point guys don't exactly grow on trees, he has a full NMC, and they're still in their contention window. There's no way they're going to improve their 24-25' chances by shipping him somewhere else.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
How does taking every teams worst player going to help us improve?

1719957480883.png

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Do you think Vegas could still be interested in Marner? Looking at the roster, I could imagine a Marner for Theodore + Roy swap, maybe with Toronto retaining a little bit of money. I fully expect them to make some kind of splash.

That's not enough cap going out to fit Marner. Would have to be Theo+Karlsson/Barbashev. It's Vegas so I never say never, but I don't see how the cap works for Marner with an extension and also makes Vegas a better team.

I think it's more likely they move Theodore in a deal similar to the Sergachev one (1 very good prospect like Geekie that is close and a roster player). Then see how the year plays out. Maybe keep some cap available for next summer just in case Drai/Crosby hit UFA.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I dont know, the vision of him and nurse getting caved in doesn't inspire confidence. Failing in big spots is still failing. I guess he can fail here too with the rest of us.

37% xGF in the playoffs is....bad!
His actual defending was fine, especially away from Nurse. I’d rather get Adam Fox too but Ceci’s certainly an upgrade in our own end over what’s here and that’s enough for me.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I still don't see a world where TOR moves Marner, as much as they want to scapegoat him as the sole reason for all of their playoff woes.

90+ point guys don't exactly grow on trees, he has a full NMC, and they're still in their contention window. There's no way they're going to improve their 24-25' chances by shipping him somewhere else.
Well lucky for you, the gossip appears to be that they're trying to extend him!

Time is a flat circle, yadda yadda.

• Haha
Reactions: Reveille1984

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
His actual defending was fine, especially away from Nurse. I’d rather get Adam Fox too but Ceci’s certainly an upgrade in our own end over what’s here and that’s enough for me.
I actually don't think Ceci is an upgrade over what's here. And Adam Fox is not the next step up from Ceci. There are a LOT of guys in between those two.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I would LOVE to take Theodore back. Should have never given him up in the first place. That expansion draft was a nightmare. That said, I give it about a 1% chance that we're even talking about a guy like that.

Ceci would be meh, but if it fills a temporary hole, I dont care. We arent looking at long term needs here, just short time fillers for the most part.

VGK has been rumored to be in on Marner but its also being put out there that TOR doesnt want to move him.

Reactions: 12ozPapa

GiveYouABagOfPucks

Jan 29, 2015
Don’t mind bringing him in honestly. Leadership, big, championship experience, can eat minutes just fine on a bottom pair. Buuuuut WTH are we doing with all of these lhd? Who gets traded for RHD and RHS forwards? Was Zell a Verbeek or Murray tenure pick? I’m thinking he might be the shiny toy used to alter things. Whether or not I like that not sure especially seeing how thick and how much work-ethic/effort he has been putting in the gym to actually be more physical.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
My god… can this be? Ceci is as soft as Leason? Fowler has more fights than both of these players combined lol. I know fighting shouldn’t be a measure of grit and toughness… but damn, zero… ever? He’s definitely a priority target for Beeker…

I would LOVE to take Theodore back. Should have never given him up in the first place. That expansion draft was a nightmare. That said, I give it about a 1% chance that we're even talking about a guy like that.

Ceci would be meh, but if it fills a temporary hole, I dont care. We arent looking at long term needs here, just short time fillers for the most part.

VGK has been rumored to be in on Marner but its also being put out there that TOR doesnt want to move him.
He would be a nice add but isn’t he a lefty? Well why the f… it…. Why not… lets ice only LHDs and have a few play forward too.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I actually don't think Ceci is an upgrade over what's here. And Adam Fox is not the next step up from Ceci. There are a LOT of guys in between those two.
That line wasn’t meant to be taken that literally but while there’s truly a lot of guys between those two there aren’t a lot that are available. Despite the Oilers cap situation I’m not even sure he is.

It’s probably moot, I don’t think another addition is actually coming, but that wouldn’t have been a bad way to go about it at all.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
My god… can this be? Ceci is as soft as Leason? Fowler has more fights than both of these players combined lol. I know fighting shouldn’t be a measure of grit and toughness… but damn, zero… ever? He’s definitely a priority target for Beeker…

He would be a nice add but isn’t he a lefty? Well why the f… it…. Why not… lets ice only LHDs and have a few play forward too.

Theodore has played the right side ever since he left Anaheim. The bigger issue is Theo makes no sense for the Ducks because he would take the sheltered/offensive minutes and PP time that Minty/Zell/Luneau need.

The Ducks need a RD that can PK and be steady partners for Minty/Zell.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Well for the "We have to trade Fowler" crew, Theo is your solution, not Dumo.

Theodore has played the right side ever since he left Anaheim. The bigger issue is Theo makes no sense for the Ducks because he would take the sheltered/offensive minutes and PP time that Minty/Zell/Luneau need.

That is all true too

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Me saying hellbent was prob a little bit on the me being frustrated with the team right now.... i prob should have said more on the lines of

Theres def smoke on the situation, whether any of us want to agree or not. Contract negotiations were not very smooth... ive generally felt like the team has been a lot harder on Zegras than any of the other young players. The 3 year bridge does kinda worry me a bit. Its a lot of little things added up and makes you kinda wonder.

All of it could just be coincidence, but i think there is enough there to justify discussing the possibility. We also dont really know whos at fault, maybe zegras is at fault. I dont think anyone really has a feel on PV and what he wants to do.
Stockholm syndrome.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Any appetite for a McGroarty/Luneau swap?

Or would that be a non-starter - you guys are stacked with great D prospects so I just had that thought (Rutger and Cutter are best friends)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad