Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
As an Angels fan trust me, the Ducks have it way better than the Angels. At least the Ducks probably have the best U23 prospect pipeline in the NHL, so a little hope is in order. The Angels have incompetent ownership, the worst farm system in baseball, as well as one of the worst MLB rosters in the league outside of a handful of "nice but not elite" young players.

Yup. The Ducks owners do not involve themselves in hockey operation decisions. I do hope they develop some scrutiny in years 4 and 5 of the Verbeek reset rebuild if we're still in the bottom-10. Right now, we're in year 3.

As for the Angels, we should have an improved prospect pipeline if... Owner Moreno didn't stop the agreed trade with the Dodgers to get prospect OF Andy Pages (and a pitcher) b/c he was impatient on the Dodgers-Red Sox Mookie Betts trade and allowed the front office to trade Ohtani at the trade deadline. Moreno gets way too involved in front office operations. Moreno already floated the idea of selling the Angels. It's just a matter of time and increased value for Moreno to ditch the Angels.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Looks like we’ve signed Jansen Harkins

No idea if it’s NHL depth or for the Gulls but signings being broken on the team website are back on the menu! It’s been a while.

I guess this guy had it yesterday but he isn’t really prominent so it didn’t get any traction.
I hope that’s a Gulls move because the guy scored 0 goals in 45 NHL games last season.

It will be telling if the Gulls tweet out the signing, too.

Reactions: Arthuros

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
no FA signings are going to improve this team on their own. its all up to the kids to take the next step in their development if they want to start winning games
You can't expect the kids to all figure it out on their own. They need veterans around them. At this point, see if Verbeek can find teams that are looking to move off vets they signed in prior seasons that they wish to move off from that still have some value to help a team and not a pure cap dump.

The hard part is the MNTC that players would carry. Unlikely to want to go to rebuilding Ana team, but waivers can be a way around that as Ana has 3rd priority and Chi who has 2nd is within $5mill of the cap ceiling right now, while SJ is $16 mill under with first priority.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I'm so sick of the Z trade rumors, and I'm going to be disgusted if they trade him. Feels like he's been treated so poorly. We need his offensive creativity, he's put in work to be better defensively, and IMO the Ducks need a big personality just for hype.
If Z gets traded, f*** this team for awhile.

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
Harkins is already listed on the Ducks roster
IMG_3821.jpeg

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I'm so sick of the Z trade rumors, and I'm going to be disgusted if they trade him. Feels like he's been treated so poorly. We need his offensive creativity, he's put in work to be better defensively, and IMO the Ducks need a big personality just for hype.
Other teams commit to their young stars... celebrating their strengths and not ruining their confidence making someone they are not. Z has accomplished more than many of the prospects that have receive major contract commitments. They need to commit to him by giving him the right linemates to succeed like they have with Leo and McTavish.

Harkins is already listed on the Ducks roster
View attachment 891394
FIRST SIGNING!!!!!! I'll take it... probably better than Glenn Gawdin!

Reactions: Beckett

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Im tired of the rumors too but I dont feel like hes been treated poorly, I feel like thats just the projection with the rumors.

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
I highly doubt Verbeek’s in the editing booth taking Z out because he’s gonna trade him in a week but it’s tough to deny he really hasn’t been featured in the rebrand marketing despite doing the full shoot, he’s easily the least featured of the players who were there. Not sure what to make of it.
So this might very well be overthinking and copium, but in trying to look at it from a "why would the PR team do this" perspective, I wonder if he might have been a last second addition to the rebrand marketing. Like they weren't originally intending to use him for whatever reason (scheduling, logistics, letting him reset after that painful season, who knows) but once the rumors started getting crazy again the team went "know what, get him back here so we can put him in this shoot and calm some things down." But if he wasn't originally part of it, the videos and graphics may have largely been finished and they could only squeeze him into so much.

Because otherwise yeah, the idea that they'd be editing him out because of a planned trade is honestly the weirdest possible situation. Like you say, Verbeek's not doing it personally. Not likely he's looking at the rebrand media and going "get him out of there, I'm gonna trade him!" either. I mean, Drysdale was one of the most heavily marketed players on the team, even while injured, until poof he was gone. The idea that the PR people would get an early heads-up to remove him just doesn't make sense.

And honestly, especially because of the precedent of the Drysdale trade, I'm not sure they would have willingly put themselves in that situation to begin with. It's hard to imagine the media people just saying "ah yes, this guy has a whole entire trade rumor media circus surrounding him, let's put him in the reveal video for our years in the making rebrand without asking any questions! I'm sure it'll be fine." Limiting how much they use him in the marketing isn't even hedging their bets, because putting him there at all is the bet. If you really want to be cautious, you don't use him and if anyone asks you point out McTavish isn't in it either. So it feels like something else.
A last-second "jfc he's not going anywhere okay?!" addition would fit what we're seeing. But... not the only option, so again, maybe just overly wishful thinking on my part.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m actually starting to wonder if the 3 year term was actually because zegras didn’t want to be here long term, and was giving us time to facilitate a move.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
If Zegras gets traded, it just depends on the return. I'm not as big a Zegras fan as I know a lot here are; while I think he's unfairly maligned as lazy, I don't think he's unfairly maligned as a poor defensive player and a hothead. Some players are good at defense, some players aren't - Zegras never will be. And while I hope he'll mature, his outbursts on the ice have had actual detrimental results for the team.

I think his upside is limited. I think he can be a very good offensive player with very little to contribute elsewhere. That has value, but maybe not as much as we'd like.

However, I also recognize that the Ducks have very few creative offensive players and they also could use the marketability of a guy like Zegras. I also think that trading him after such a down season would be poor asset management. If they're able to sell a team on his upside and bring back a player the Ducks need (top-4 RD, top-6 RW), I'm ok trading Zegras. But they absolutely need to bring back a player that has as much current value to the NHL team as Zegras. I'm not interested in future assets.

To try to head off some of the flames I know I'm going to get - I'm totally comfortable keeping Zegras and letting him mature with the rest of the team. Heck, I was even swayed for a minute to consider him as a potential captain. I understand why people like him. He's just not essential to the Ducks' success for me.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
So this might very well be overthinking and copium, but in trying to look at it from a "why would the PR team do this" perspective, I wonder if he might have been a last second addition to the rebrand marketing. Like they weren't originally intending to use him for whatever reason (scheduling, logistics, letting him reset after that painful season, who knows) but once the rumors started getting crazy again the team went "know what, get him back here so we can put him in this shoot and calm some things down." But if he wasn't originally part of it, the videos and graphics may have largely been finished and they could only squeeze him into so much.

Because otherwise yeah, the idea that they'd be editing him out because of a planned trade is honestly the weirdest possible situation. Like you say, Verbeek's not doing it personally. Not likely he's looking at the rebrand media and going "get him out of there, I'm gonna trade him!" either. I mean, Drysdale was one of the most heavily marketed players on the team, even while injured, until poof he was gone. The idea that the PR people would get an early heads-up to remove him just doesn't make sense.

And honestly, especially because of the precedent of the Drysdale trade, I'm not sure they would have willingly put themselves in that situation to begin with. It's hard to imagine the media people just saying "ah yes, this guy has a whole entire trade rumor media circus surrounding him, let's put him in the reveal video for our years in the making rebrand without asking any questions! I'm sure it'll be fine." Limiting how much they use him in the marketing isn't even hedging their bets, because putting him there at all is the bet. If you really want to be cautious, you don't use him and if anyone asks you point out McTavish isn't in it either. So it feels like something else.
A last-second "jfc he's not going anywhere okay?!" addition would fit what we're seeing. But... not the only option, so again, maybe just overly wishful thinking on my part.
That thing was shot months ago, almost certainly during the season, so I don’t think that’s it.

Reactions: Firequacker

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You can't expect the kids to all figure it out on their own. They need veterans around them. At this point, see if Verbeek can find teams that are looking to move off vets they signed in prior seasons that they wish to move off from that still have some value to help a team and not a pure cap dump.

The hard part is the MNTC that players would carry. Unlikely to want to go to rebuilding Ana team, but waivers can be a way around that as Ana has 3rd priority and Chi who has 2nd is within $5mill of the cap ceiling right now, while SJ is $16 mill under with first priority.
they do have vets around them. fowler, killorn, gudas, strome, vatrano, etc. heck, even terry is a vet at this point

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
they do have vets around them. fowler, killorn, gudas, strome, vatrano, etc. heck, even terry is a vet at this point
The mention of Terry as a vet is what concerns me. You’re correct and I can see us in 3 seasons going “we’re fine, the young kids will get it, heck we got vets like McTavish there”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad