Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Getting a little hard to get excited for the upcoming season. I mean there's storylines with the kids, sure. But unless some big changes are made through trades it's the same old veteran core only a year older. We'll probably see better results with the kids getting off season training and being more experienced, but short of the kids going on an unprecedented tear, this roster in its current state doesn't look like a playoff team.

And then there's the issue of being substantially under the cap floor and who knows what kind of assets it will take to get over it. I'm gonna be really unamused if we give some leftover free agent shitter a massive contract just to be compliant.

I read somewhere that Colorado barely has any cap space so maybe we can grab one of their roster players on the cheap. Who knows?

And last, I'm still not sold that Cronin is cut out for the head coaching job. It seems that along with the typical hindrances (tax obligations), players in the FA market still don't see Anaheim as a team ready to win. And I'm not sure I blame them. Cronin did little to show me he has what it takes.
Hey Quennville is available.... lol

I'm leaning towards that U of Denver coach if he is willing to take on this mess... (or Fedorov just for fun).

Thanks.

I’m surprised that wasn’t someone we looked at. I’m not upset about missing the “big fish” because of the deals they signed. However there’s been several signings I’m stunned that we didn’t beat
Far too expensive for the Beeker... We don't want more finishers or else Zegras would actually succeed and ask for more money on his next contract.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I believe they showed a different video, or at least not the initial one, at the flock party thing and according to a few people Zegras wasn’t in it.

If you are trading zegras this year is basically already a throw away. At best you are getting a lateral move with minimal upside, and giving up an asset with a lot of room in terms of upside.

Something like zegras for necas isn’t very good for us going forward. And keeps us on the same posistion

Can’t afford to trade our 1st this year with the roster the way it is -zegras

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
If you are trading zegras this year is basically already a throw away. At best you are getting a lateral move with minimal upside, and giving up an asset with a lot of room in terms of upside.

Something like zegras for necas isn’t very good for us going forward.

Agreed. It makes no sense to trade Zegras now unless it's for a clear upgrade.

Oct 18, 2011
There is no trade for zegras that makes sense unless we get a top 4 dman back. Also trading a guy after his value is lower than it was a year ago sounds dumb to me.

Give the guy a chance to bounce back and not put so much pressure on guys like Leo and Cutter

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Agreed. It makes no sense to trade Zegras now unless it's for a clear upgrade.

Even then we don’t have a 2nd, no way we can put our 1st on the table. So that really limits the type of “upgrades” we can search for

I fully expect a package of lesser assets

Trouba kakko and a 1st for zegras

Something like that is what we’re going to end up with… fills holes . Tho I’d prefer to target Miller/Schneider.

I do get the unfortunate feeling the team wants to move away from zegeas…. But don’t want to lose the trade…. And unfortunately we’re going to likely lose that trade bad…. And the only positive thing is maybe we get a 1st overall pick next year

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Something like zegras for necas isn’t very good for us going forward. And keeps us on the same posistion

Can’t afford to trade our 1st this year with the roster the way it is -zegras
I highly doubt Verbeek’s in the editing booth taking Z out because he’s gonna trade him in a week but it’s tough to deny he really hasn’t been featured in the rebrand marketing despite doing the full shoot, he’s easily the least featured of the players who were there. Not sure what to make of it.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I'm leaning more towards trading Z for a RHD.

There are just no RHD available. This was the year to get one with Roy and Pesce. Next year it is really ugly.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Even then we don’t have a 2nd, no way we can put our 1st on the table. So that really limits the type of “upgrades” we can search for

Something like that is what we’re going to end up with… fills holes . Tho I’d prefer to target Miller/Schneider.

I do get the unfortunate feeling the team wants to move away from zegeas…. But don’t want to lose the trade…. And unfortunately we’re going to likely lose that trade bad…. And the only positive thing is maybe we get a 1st overall pick next year
What the hell kinda trade is that

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI

Something like that is what we’re going to end up with… fills holes . Tho I’d prefer to target Miller/Schneider

Trouba won't waive to come here. He would be waived which we could claim him, but that deal would look a little different. Also don't think we could fetch 1st+Kakko for Z, and Kakko doesn't really fill a need for us anyway.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
the unfortunate type we’re going to see
A late 1st, someone who would be on waivers if not for his wife and a guy who was just healthy scratched in the playoffs for a 23 year old 60 point player?

The only time the ducks would do this trade would be if zegras burnt down an orphanage on Christmas and even then...

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles

I don't see how anything would make sense outside of getting a top pairing stud RD back. Even then it's stupid to me. We don't even know what our guys will be yet.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
no FA signings are going to improve this team on their own. its all up to the kids to take the next step in their development if they want to start winning games
I agree. But I think a scoring fwd would have helped. I would have paid more to get Skinner for 1 year. Maybe 2. End this wing crap and move Zegras to 3rd line center; especially with Henrique and Carrick gone.

As much as I hate Trouba, he would help and 2 years at $8M is not unreasonable term. But I wouldn't give up any high end assets to get him. Rangers would probably be better off moving him at the TDL except for cap issues.

This will be the year for Cronin to step up and get the kids to play and compete. He has to build chemistry within the team. The cavalry ain't coming.

In some ways I'm excited to see how things play out. Looking forward to Colangelo and Regenda play over Meyers and Grouix.

John

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

There are just no RHD available. This was the year to get one with Roy and Pesce. Next year it is really ugly.
That’s kind of the issue, good RHD are rare and teams don’t really want to give them up unless they have to. If Zegras was traded for one I wouldn’t doubt if it resembled the Taylor Hall trade and I don’t know if there’s a point to that.

My bet is a Zegras trade will more likely be 1 for 1 for a similar winger or be like the Bobby Ryan one. Best case something unforeseen shakes loose and then he’d be a great primary asset but I doubt it’ll be for a RHD.

Reactions: Beckett

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't see how anything would make sense outside of getting a top pairing stud RD back. Even then it's stupid to me. We don't even know what our guys will be yet.
I mean it seems like the team is pretty hellbent to get zegras out of here…. And unfortunately his value isn’t high…. I have low expectations…. There is no rhd really available outside of trouba…. Maybe you can get a Reinbacher deal going but I doubt Montreal wants that

Schneider from ny? With a couple adds?

Who else is available…. Jiricek maybe? But that seems resolved

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

I was just looking at teams that are cap-strapped. It wasn't an exhaustive search, but none of them have top-4 RHDs that they can afford to give up. At best, you're looking at Josh Manson or Trevor Van Riemsdyk. Maybe if Vegas decides to shop Pietrangelo, but he's clearly their best RD (Whitecloud is fine, but not really top pairing material), so why would they do that while they're still trying to win a Cup? He also has a NMC. It's a similar situation with Florida and Ekblad.

Roy or Pesce would have been ideal. If we end up with Cody Freaking Ceci, I'm going to be pretty upset. I'm still hopeful something will get done, but it's going to take some creativity.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Hey Quennville is available.... lol

I'm leaning towards that U of Denver coach if he is willing to take on this mess... (or Fedorov just for fun).

Far too expensive for the Beeker... We don't want more finishers or else Zegras would actually succeed and ask for more money on his next contract.
If they hired Q I'd pretty much resign myself to not giving a cent to this team. I'd still be a fan, but it'd be really hard to support them with him behind the bench.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I was just looking at teams that are cap-strapped. It wasn't an exhaustive search, but none of them have top-4 RHDs that they can afford to give up. At best, you're looking at Josh Manson or Trevor Van Riemsdyk. Maybe if Vegas decides to shop Pietrangelo, but he's clearly their best RD (Whitecloud is fine, but not really top pairing material), so why would they do that while they're still trying to win a Cup? He also has a NMC. It's a similar situation with Florida and Ekblad.

Roy or Pesce would have been ideal. If we end up with Cody Freaking Ceci, I'm going to be pretty upset. I'm still hopeful something will get done, but it's going to take some creativity.

That's where I am at. Obviously we will make some moves, but I just don't see the players out there that are available for trade who could really help us and the fill the pressing holes that Verbeek even acknowledged we have.

I wonder if the move is trading Zegras for a young RHD prospect...but that probably won't help us much for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad