Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
This is pretty much my hope as well. I could see trading for Kakko and making Strome the 4th center
Its a lot of money on a 4th liner center. I think it much more likely that Colangelo start in the A or the 4th line.

Just posted about it on the main board thread but yeah, I saw some really effective games from him last year. He's short but not weak, very mobile and he's become a legit defender who may still have more offense to him if given the right situation. He can still break out in the right circumstances.
Wasn't he a more offense minded D when he was drafted? another LD that lacks size for the hope he might breakout at 25 seems like a bet we don't really need to take. I am sure he's intriguing, I just don't see a fit here. Id rather let Lacombe and Vaaks fight it out.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Its a lot of money on a 4th liner center. I think it much more likely that Colangelo start in the A or the 4th line.

Wasn't he a more offense minded D when he was drafted? another LD that lacks size for the hope he might breakout at 25 seems like a bet we don't really need to take. I am sure he's intriguing, I just don't see a fit here. Id rather let Lacombe and Vaaks fight it out.

He was considered an offensive guy yeah, I think he was more of a skater than a true offensive manipulator though. Either way, he's developed into more of a mobile minute muncher.

I doubt he's a fit for us either though.

Reactions: DavidBL

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I would have to look at the underlying numbers but Schmidt has historically been a pretty good +/- guy and a good puck mover. I wouldn’t hate that
Yeah I haven’t really watched him lately but he was really good a few years ago. If he can play right side maybe a good stopgap?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Here would be my top targets for each position based on rumored availability. Some UFAs are by all accounts gone but I included them ranking perspective:

Top 6 RS Forward
  1. Reinhart - I know he's likely not available and most likely to have the worst contract long term. but he really does check all the boxes:
    • Good Scorer
    • Good Size
    • Plays PK
    • No assets outside of Money(lots of money)
  2. Stamkos - He's probably my favorite target as he has known history with the GM and a few players(Killorn, Gudas). Proven leader and great on the PP and most importantly more likely to take less term.
  3. Marchessault - Smaller but consistent player, may take less term
  4. Laine - Buy Low candidate that could add dynamic scoring like a Stamkos but only a 2 year commitment and still quite young
  5. Lindholm - 2 way forward that can PK, more term likely needed than Id like
  6. There are some other guys after this but I think you're getting into more Middle 6 wingers at this point rather than Top 6. IE they are likely to decline out of the role or more 40-50 guys than 60+ guys. IE, the Stromes of the world.
Top 4 RD
  1. Pesce - RD version of Lindholm, strong reputation and size. Concerns about injury history, likely heading to NJ
  2. Roy - Probably the best option. Not as physical as potentially would like but has good size, rep and results as someone who can compliment our more offensive minded LD.
  3. Tanev - older, injury issues but warrior. Likely signed by Toronto.
  4. Ekblad - Lost a step but still young, Was a top PKer for a top PK in the league. Concerns but could be a Buy low candidate. Low term.
  5. Trouba - Seems like a dirty player but has size and can eat minutes, though maybe not well based on what others have said.
  6. Walker - on the smaller side but a RD who can play roughly 20 minutes. Not sure if he could handle more and I think we would probably need who ever we get to do so.
Honestly, If we miss out on Roy and there are not RD for trade that I am not thinking of I really could see us go into next season without any additions here.

4C/RW
  1. Stenlund - again big part of a top PK in the league
  2. Pageau - probably more of a 3rd liner. Maybe get some retention here. good for 30+ points. Big PK minutes
  3. Clutterbuck - Old but also PKs and one of the most physical players in the game.
  4. Carrick - Familiar, can PK and get 20 points.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Toffoli is someone I wouldn’t mind, but prefer Marchessault (we need speed). Both have a proven history of production which is the most important thing Anaheim needs to add

Gauthier-Carlsson-March/Toffoli
Killorn-McTavish-Terry
Vatrano-Zegras-Nesterenko/Colangelo/Strome

I’d much prefer Schmidt on a 2 year deal than Roy on a 5-6 year deal personally

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The Kings are supposedly going to be after Brendon Dillon tomorrow.

They’re going to be hilariously mediocre again but are assembling a team that will injure people.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
The Kings are supposedly going to be after Brendon Dillon tomorrow.

They’re going to be hilariously mediocre again but are assembling a team that will injure people.
They were the softest team going into the playoffs I guess they are definitely addressing that issue with all of these moves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad