Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
They couldn't even acquire a new AHLer to help SD win games instead of SD getting destroyed every year. Why is it that even playoff teams with the worst prospect pools tend to have a better AHL team than Anaheim ? It just seems like it to me.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
The same people here bitching about him not signing an impact player are the same ones who would be bitching about the contract he would’ve had to offer to get them to sign.

It’s obvious he would’ve had to offer more than what they probably signed for. A lot of people seem to forget that the “free” in free agent means that these players are free to choose where to play and don’t have to accept your offer.

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
Life hack for bad (high aav) contracts around say 4 years of term: Watch the cap rise every year, let Fowler's 6.5m expire, don't give every young gun a huge rfa contract like they already displayed with Zegras, retain on a Gibson trade for little value back.

Reactions: Kalv

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Im pretty surprised at how ok everyone is at the prospect of likely being a bottom of the barrel team again next year.

I was all for a tear-it-down rebuild, and I think Verbeek has done a good job of that thus far.

However, I truly believed that this was the year we started to make a push. We have a great cupboard of youth/prospects, I thought now would be the time we began trying in earnest to win and get the young guys accustomed to that, rather then them only seeing a losing culture. Sure we will fill out the roster and get some guys, but I don’t see us trading high prospects or picks to add actual difference makers. On the plus side we have tons of cap space, so that’s super fun. When we are in the lottery again we can run it in everyone’s face how much cap flexibility we have.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Or Old Man Cronin coached him like 12 years ago in college, the ahl, or some other lower league.
Cronin: I coach this lad named Seamus McNulty from Boston, he's now in a boston beer league we should really sign him I swear he's a good lad who backs up his team in a fight.
Verbeek: No.
Cronin: he's about 6'4 tall.
Verbeek: Okay we sign him eh.

• Haha
Reactions: KelVarnsen

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Im pretty surprised at how ok everyone is at the prospect of likely being a bottom of the barrel team again next year.

I was all for a tear-it-down rebuild, and I think Verbeek has done a good job of that thus far.

However, I truly believed that this was the year we started to make a push. We have a great cupboard of youth/prospects, I thought now would be the time we began trying in earnest to win and get the young guys accustomed to that, rather then them only seeing a losing culture. Sure we will fill out the roster and get some guys, but I don’t see us trading high prospects or picks to add actual difference makers. On the plus side we have tons of cap space, so that’s super fun. When we are in the lottery again we can run it in everyone’s face how much cap flexibility we have.

Today didn't nor was it ever going to decide our place in the standings. That will come down to the kind of progression we get from Z/Leo/McT/Minty/Zell/etc. If the kids take big leaps we'll be better. If they don't we won't. Signing Roy and Marchessault would not have changed that.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Well, either we were prudent or we would have had to overpay by more $ and/or term than the deals they signed. With 20/20 hindsight I'm more than pleased we didn’t sign any of the guys most people wanted.
Is it your money? What good is the cap space if we don’t use it? Do we have like a ton of young studs we need to sign to big money deals in next couple years I don’t know about? Even if we did, we have tons of space.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Today didn't nor was it ever going to decide our place in the standings. That will come down to the kind of progression we get from Z/Leo/McT/Minty/Zell/etc. If the kids take big leaps we'll be better. If they don't we won't. Signing Roy and Marchessault would not have changed that.
Nonsense. Of course adding those guys could change our position in the standings. They are good hockey players. Good hockey players help you win.

I agree that the degree which we could improve will be mostly affected by how our youth develops, but it is ridiculous to state that adding good free agents wouldn’t make a difference.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
IF we dont compete for a playoff spot this year.. We are basically buffalo west.. PV needs to do something for the sake of Owning up to his own words.. He cant just talk big like that and sit on his hands.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

It's easier to be ok with things when you don't assume the worst. It's a long offseason. And I have no reason to believe, as you seem to, that Verbeek is unwilling to trade high prospects or picks. Particularly given he did that last year when he traded Drysdale for Gauthier.

I don't think today was the death knell for the 24-25 season. There's time.

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
again, what exactly did some of you expect verbeek to do? overpay for mediocre talent? he can't exactly force guys like stamkos and marchessault to come to anaheim either
He just should've just never said anything imo, and he said it twice, so criticism will come with that territory of perceived failure. Not that he should care as long as he has support.
But honestly we can take another "bad" contract or two like Killorn's or Strome's would have no affect on re-signing young players as the cap rises and guys like Fowler fade away right as Minty and Zell may or may not get paid. It genuinely doesn't matter unless we're handing out massive contracts to McT, Gauthier, and Leo. Fans just want to send them a lifejacket so they don't toil at the bottom of the Pacific until they're worth those contracts.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
It's easier to be ok with things when you don't assume the worst. It's a long offseason. And I have no reason to believe, as you seem to, that Verbeek is unwilling to trade high prospects or picks. Particularly given he did that last year when he traded Drysdale for Gauthier.

I don't think today was the death knell for the 24-25 season. There's time.
Your example was a trade that made our NHL roster worse (in the short term).

I don’t think Verbeek will be in the business of trading youth/picks for the type of established NHL players who could materially help change our course next year.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Is it your money? What good is the cap space if we don’t use it? Do we have like a ton of young studs we need to sign to big money deals in next couple years I don’t know about? Even if we did, we have tons of space.
Carlsson, McT, Gauthier, Zellweger, Dostal, Mintyukov.......quite a few young players due extensions in the next couple of seasons.

Vatrano is also a pending UFA who we might potentially want to extend.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
He just should've just never said anything imo, and he said it twice, so criticism will come with that territory of perceived failure. Not that he should care as long as he has support.
But honestly we can take another "bad" contract or two like Killorn's or Strome's would have no affect on re-signing young players as the cap rises and guys like Fowler fade away right as Minty and Zell may or may not get paid. It genuinely doesn't matter unless we're handing out massive contracts to McT, Gauthier, and Leo. Fans just want to send them a lifejacket so they don't toil at the bottom of the Pacific until they're worth those contracts.
what did he say?

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Carlsson, McT, Gauthier, Zellweger, Dostal, Mintyukov.......quite a few young players due extensions in the next couple of seasons.

Vatrano is also a pending UFA who we might potentially want to extend.

Ya extensions, but likely mostly bridge deals. We would have been 100% fine to do a deal or two…. Or three… and signed all those guys.

Reactions: JohnnyDrama

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The same people here bitching about him not signing an impact player are the same ones who would be bitching about the contract he would’ve had to offer to get them to sign.

It’s obvious he would’ve had to offer more than what they probably signed for. A lot of people seem to forget that the “free” in free agent means that these players are free to choose where to play and don’t have to accept your offer.
Yeah it feels like there are some people simultaniously in the "Strome is overpaid AF", and "Screw Pat for not doing anything on FA day" boats, lol. But in all seeiousness they're not THAT many. Large majority seems to understand things are not as easy

Reactions: Deuce22

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
what did he say?
That he wanted a top-6 forward and top-4 defenseman like we all know. The second time, at the flock party, he sounded less confident but still said it to a bunch of die hard fans who showed up to see some rookies.

Also to be clear, he said he wanted to be competing for playoffs late in the season due to such moves.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
I am pretty happy that Verbeek didnt give Stamkos and Marchessessuaausalt those contracts. Thats a gamble that i believe wouldnt have been worth it.

Reactions: Kalv

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
That he wanted a top-6 forward and top-4 defenseman like we all know. The second time, at the flock party, he sounded less confident but still said it to a bunch of die hard fans who showed up to see some rookies.

Also to be clear, he said he wanted to be competing for playoffs late in the season due to such moves.
and that doesn't mean that he didn't try to land a top 6 forward and top 4 d-man but got denied. of course he's going to say something optimistic to the fanbase. was he supposed to say "i'm going to try and sign a couple big name FAs but will likely get turned down because our team isn't very good and i can't afford to pay what other teams will"?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
So it sounds like you would have been happy signing the guys who would sign here (that’s not Stammer or Marshy), to fat bloated 7 year deals because they would potentially help us win a few more games in the next couple of years. OK, fine. I wouldn’t have been.

We definitely have some young studs who are going to have to be paid well before those 7 year deals will expire, but not not before the FAs play drops to a level well below what we will be paying them. Then what? How does that math work?

Trying to assemble a cup contending team in the day and age of a salary cap is a lot harder than people seem to think. Overpaying free agents on July 1 is a sucker’s game that gets proven every year. Sometimes when you really are a serious cup contender you do have to hold your nose and sign one of those bad deals. But signing deals like that, given where the Ducks are now, is fools gold. Those guys aren’t helping us win a cup in the next few years.

I want this team to win as much as anybody here does. But I’m not losing sleep over the fact Verbeek didn’t go out and spend money like a drunken sailor today. At some point down the road, if I think Verbeek is a hot mess, I won’t be afraid to say so. But that day isn’t today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad