Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
Can somebody explain to me why exactly it’s bad that our new beat writer is a passionate fan of the team?
Him expressing that passion likely won’t lead to the best coverage of the team.

If he’s critical of the team, PR isn’t gonna be wanting to give him as much access. It’s gonna be harder to form relationships with people in the org, get sources, etc.

He can be passionate, that’s his choice, but it’s gonna be akin to any fan on here writing about the team.

So, this is what it’s come to? Cody Ceci? What a pathetic day for this franchise.
No. At least it shouldn’t.

A GM can’t say they want a T4 dman + T6 foward, then just roll over and walk away with nothing by the end of the offseason. I gotta think he’s gonna make a significant addition of some sort.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Can somebody explain to me why exactly it’s bad that our new beat writer is a passionate fan of the team?
Speaking personally, I don't need his opinions...just give me solid information and better insights from within the organization about what is going on.

For example, instead of his rant he could have talked to Verbeek about why the day went the way it did. You know, like reporters used to do.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Stated perfectly by Evans
The honesty is refreshing. In bigger markets there would be much higher expectations and management and owners would be called out. They talk about changing the culture but comes from the top down. Verbeek needs to be held accountable and actually show improvement and a real strategy in year 3. If ownership accepts continued losing then it’s an issue with their commitment to winning, and unfortunately the only thing that would upset them would be a hit to their profitability.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Exactly
I guess posters here prefer a beat writer to cover the fashionable suits and loafers the players are wearing during there walk into the arena. What else is there?
You always have the best takes, that’s why I appreciate your posting

Reactions: Rybread86

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
The honesty is refreshing. In bigger markets there would be much higher expectations and management and owners would be called out. They talk about changing the culture but comes from the top down. Verbeek needs to be held accountable and actually show improvement and a real strategy in year 3. If ownership accepts continued losing then it’s an issue with their commitment to winning, and unfortunately the only thing that would upset them would be a hit to their profitability.
How is he holding Verbeek accountable?

Verbeek doesn’t read Twitter. Until/unless he asks Verbeek about that, he’s not holding Verbeek accountable any more than one of us posting here.

Exactly
I guess posters here prefer a beat writer to cover the fashionable suits and loafers the players are wearing during there walk into the arena. What else is there?
He’s not covering anything. He added no new insight, just repeated the obvious.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
For some reason my comments keep getting blipped away in the field at the bottom of the page. So I wrote this in my notes app. Anyway let me try to remember what I wrote.

I don’t think this team is ready for a big free agent. I’d love to have stammer on this team but what good would he be as a “missing piece” if he can only get us to mediocrity. One player doesn’t make a team. The Ducks need to prove that they are not a basement dweller. When that happens, then you find the missing piece. I’m confident that the Ducks can compete. Confident but not certain. I understand, I’m right there with you, we’ve been under the impression that the rebuild phase will be over any day now for a few years. All I’m saying is, the Ducks are not ready to have a superstar on the team when we were again one of the worst teams in the league last year. But like I said, I’m confident in this team we have. They have the potential to be good.

Maybe I’m just rambling, but I’m not too mad that the Ducks did nothing much today.

My first two attempts at this comment were better written.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So I guess maybe the GM wanted to try out the Murray tradition of celebrating Canada day on July 1st and be hungover on July 2 and is only able to sign some AHL guys he ran into at the Pub that he doesn't remember why he signed them to 2way contracts in the first place

We were lucky in the murray years that the ]trade deadlines don't fall on St Paddy's day.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
How does he know the team flailed around and failed? Maybe Verbeek just didn't find the right players at the right price. We've got cap space, but RFA's to sign down the road and spots on the roster to open up for young players. Just seems like an uneducated take.

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
For some reason my comments keep getting blipped away in the field at the bottom of the page. So I wrote this in my notes app. Anyway let me try to remember what I wrote.

I don’t think this team is ready for a big free agent. I’d love to have stammer on this team but what good would he be as a “missing piece” if he can only get us to mediocrity. One player doesn’t make a team. The Ducks need to prove that they are not a basement dweller. When that happens, then you find the missing piece. I’m confident that the Ducks can compete. Confident but not certain. I understand, I’m right there with you, we’ve been under the impression that the rebuild phase will be over any day now for a few years. All I’m saying is, the Ducks are not ready to have a superstar on the team when we were again one of the worst teams in the league last year. But like I said, I’m confident in this team we have. They have the potential to be good.

Maybe I’m just rambling, but I’m not too mad that the Ducks did nothing much today.

I tend to agree. Its not like a FA is going to make or break this team. However, there does need to be some dependable vets in key positions to help shelter the kiddos, if you are assuming the kiddos eventually will be legit top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen.

Goina need to find a physical d-man somewhere to eat up minutes and give some shelter/relief to the kids in those rough games the ducks are way overmatched.

Reactions: DarthYenik

Tony O

May 31, 2011

The point wasn't to get us over the top, the point was to pull us out of the cellar. The point wasn’t to look for the missing piece, the point was to start showing progress. Management failed miserably at that today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad