Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA

I think this is essentially the issue for us... and were going to have to make our moves via trade/cap casualties. Dont want to trap yourself when the young guys are ready to get new contracts.

Every year when Toronto chokes: "Hah! They really screwed themselves with that Tavares contract when they had all that young talent to pay".

1 month later: "WHY ARENT WE SIGNING ANY FREE AGENTS?!?"

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Wonder if we are in on Pavelski.

He’s from Michigan so he may know PV on some level, combined with him playing in NorCal and being a leader we need, could be a good fit
He could always go back to SJ to finish out his career there mentoring Will Smith.
That said I'd like to see Pavelski over Rico.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Yeah I’m sometimes unfairly critical of verbeek but I feel like we can’t really fault him for other gms (Nashville, Seattle) wanting to get a couple second round exits in before bottoming out.

It feels like some gms just went a little wild today and unfortunately pat has to take care of the house before he chases too many free agents because signing bloated contracts today would definitely have cost us good players in the long run.

Honestly our young core playing a whole season is probably worth the equivalent of an extra 1-2 free agent signings.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I believe Pavelski has decided to retire.
I thought he made that clear like a month ago but I still keep saying his name brought up not just on here but by actual Hockey Journo's, no idea whats up with that unless he's changed his mind and I never heard about it

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022
Yeah I’m sometimes unfairly critical of verbeek but I feel like we can’t really fault him for other gms (Nashville, Seattle) wanting to get a couple second round exits in before bottoming out.

It feels like some gms just went a little wild today and unfortunately pat has to take care of the house before he chases too many free agents because signing bloated contracts today would definitely have cost us good players in the long run.
Agree w this esp for forwards but it still seems like we need an nhl capable rhd

Reactions: Boo Boo

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
There is nothing funnier than looking at CapFriendly and seeing the team that bought the damn thing at $102M in committed salary and still $5 million over even after factoring in potential LTIR

Reactions: Boo Boo

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I thought he made that clear like a month ago but I still keep saying his name brought up not just on here but by actual Hockey Journo's, no idea whats up with that unless he's changed his mind and I never heard about it
I was just looking this up a minute ago before checking the thread again. It’s not official yet but apparently he’s mentioned that this past season would be his last.

Would definitely take him for a year if he starts to feel the itch for 1 last season and didn’t mind coming here

Reactions: goonsaredumb

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Who knows… maybe Verbeek becomes a hero tomorrow and acquires Pinto for less than expected value… bringing in a 23 year old, 6’3, right shot top 6 forward that he promise. Plus reallocating money by trading Gibson. I hope that’s why it’s been so quiet…

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Who knows… maybe Verbeek becomes a hero tomorrow and acquires Pinto for less than expected value… bringing in a 23 year old, 6’3, right shot top 6 forward that he promise. Plus reallocating money by trading Gibson. I hope that’s why it’s been so quiet…
I really think the goalie market is now dead. Every team seems set except maybe Columbus and I'd be shocked if they had any interest in Gibson's AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad