Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
We need to be able to draft absolute studs that have no veteran presence on the team to guide them. Zegras is good and all but we aren't winning anything with 60-point players. Can we reliably develop a superstar from the very bottom of the league with no proper veteran presence? I still think this team is suffering badly from Getzlaf hanging them up a bit early.
Vatrano, Strome, Killorn, and Gudas aren't veteran presence?

I would have loved Getzlaf to stick around as well, but it was clear he didn't have anything left to give. That wouldn't have been a good model for the kids.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I am mildly concerned what consistently bottoming out is doing to our young guys who have eaten a lot of it. Terry and Zegras specifically. Hopefully the new blood can take big steps this year.
When you’ve been a losing club for 6/7 years development will stall.

Time will tell, but not even adding players who have been around a winning mentality speaks volumes.

Stamkos and Marchessault would’ve helped. But again, we will run it back with the same group of players.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Lol so let’s recap here..

No big top-6 forward was signed, no top-6 RHD defender.

Looks like it’s another bottom 5 finish for us boys.

I dunno about finishing bottom-5. We had a lot of youths and rookies playing last year. I expect many of them to take another step forward. We're going to be adding more rookies in LW Cutter and RD Luneau this year. It would be nice to acquire a top-6 RW and top-4RD, but to pull us out of the bottom is going to be dependent on our youths and health.

With that said, I am sadden that we missed out on RD Roy.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Picks and prospects are the last thing this team should be trading right now.
Why? If the team shouldn't be trading picks and prospects (i.e. players who won't contribute for three to five years), why should they be signing veterans to deals that will be awful in three to five years?

I have zero problem with getting guys through trade who might be squeezed out by some of these gigantic deals, and using non-immediate assets to do it.

Reactions: Static

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I dunno about finishing bottom-5. We had a lot of youths and rookies playing last year. I expect many of them to take another step forward. We're going to be adding more rookies in LW Cutter and RD Luneau this year. It would be nice to acquire a top-6 RW and top-4RD, but to pull us out of the bottom is going to be dependent on our youths and health.

With that said, I am sadden that we missed out on RD Roy.
We were looking alright until the kids started playing a game of musical IR stints

Talec

Jun 18, 2016
Man all the extra cap space this year seems to make it impossible for us to get anyone except to over pay or over year or both. There is just still so much cap space available

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
They're vets but I'm talking winners who drove the bus. Not secondary guys
How many of those guys signed today? One (Stamkos), by my count, and, based on the reporting, that's the guy we were in on the most heavily. You could argue Marchessault. Killorn and Strome and Gudas are just as much veteran leaders as anyone else who signed today.

Reactions: Deuce22

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Wow… if only young players improved instead of staying exactly the same as their 1st or 2nd year, this team could get better.

It’s July 1st, so many chicken littles and drama queens here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad