Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
We have 2 more years until we need to start paying the kids so I expect us to throw a bag of cash at someone

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
It's really exciting when you can trust your team's GM will go hard for some top players.

There are pretty good forwards available. Should be enough to start tilting the odds in this team's favor if we land another top 6 scorer on top of adding Cutter and natural roster maturation.

I think Verbeek will look hard at term this time around so tought to evaluate how difficult that might make things. Hopefully the rumoured NHL crackdown on LTIRetire has others wary aswell.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's really exciting when you can trust your team's GM will go hard for some top players.

There are pretty good forwards available. Should be enough to start tilting the odds in this team's favor if we land another top 6 scorer on top of adding Cutter and natural roster maturation.

I think Verbeek will look hard at term this time around so tought to evaluate how difficult that might make things. Hopefully the rumoured NHL crackdown on LTIRetire has others wary aswell.
I think cutter is going to be a serious contender for Calder trophy

Another thing to consider for the fill needs is trades, I know we’re all looking at guys like marsh/Stamkos but I think boeser/necas, maybe a player we don’t know is available could be a good move

Feel like we have to go all in for Roy tbh

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Looks like Washington will have to make some sort of cap clearing move, they are currently almost 3M over (with only 10F and 19 total accounted for). I understand they will have Backstrom's giant cap hit to place on LTIR but they first have to be down below the cap ceiling in order to get that relief IIRC.

I've seen Nick Jensen's name mentioned. Veteran right shot D with basically the same contract remaining as Gudas (two years at 4M). In the absence of being able to add a true top RD, he should make for a decent top 4 placeholder.

NWWisconsinDuck

Jun 28, 2023
In my head I keep my hopes low. On the other hand, my head tells me that the goat of insiders on FA morning told us were involved for the first time and that probably means he’s signing here and I won’t be told otherwise

Reactions: Arthuros

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I think cutter is going to be a serious contender for Calder trophy

Another thing to consider for the fill needs is trades, I know we’re all looking at guys like marsh/Stamkos but I think boeser/necas, maybe a player we don’t know is available could be a good move

Feel like we have to go all in for Roy tbh
I also feel like Gauthier is ready to make philly fans even more miserable.

What about McGroarty?

I think Verbeek might have an appetite for McGroarty. Don't know how steep the Jets ask is but I would move in on him. We have assets to spare in picks, prospects. If they need the absolute top quality we don't have much to offer unless it's a top10 protected first for 2025. Zegras isn't moved 1 for 1 for McGroarty, IMO. And judging by the rumours, teams aren't making any favors for Jets.

Ducks might be just the right spot for him, with Cutter already moving here. Perfect spot and those connections are what makes truly great teams. It would look very good on the Ducks regarding NCAA prospects too. Those guys really do take notice regarding that stuff.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I'm double happy about this, it's great to see Sam get a solid guarantee for himself but also a reasonable cap number that shouldn't be difficult to live up to. It sucks seeing a guy like Des get ripped on constantly by fans who hate his contract, even though he's nails and works his ass off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad