Prospect Info: 2024-25 Flyers Prospects - Top 20 SKATERS, #2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

#2 skater prospect?

• Emil Andrae

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jon-Randall Avon

• Jack Berglund

• Alex Bump

• Elliot Desnoyers

• Alexis Gendron

• Spencer Gill

• Adam Ginning

• Helge Grans

• Devin Kaplan

• Cole Knuble

• Ryan MacPherson

• Hunter McDonald

• Owen McLaughlin

• Austin Moline

• Ty Murchison

• Ilya Pautov

• Noah Powell

• Heikki Ruohonen

• Ethan Samson

• Santeri Sulku

• Zayde Wisdom

• Brian Zanetti

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Zero hesitation, Barkey is more naturally skilled than Luchanko. His physical tools need to keep progressing; Luchanko’s are almost fully there at 17. Positives and negatives to each. It’s a toss up to some degree. But I know Barkey’s small space skills with the puck are better, and I think he’s as good or better passing.

The Flyers have had the 13th, 5th, 7th, and 12th picks 4 years in a row with no excuse to not sell more pieces. That’s my major takeaway. This is our vote for 2nd best prospect at the tail end of The Rebuild. Bonk getting a fair share of votes is the icing on the cake.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I guess I could vote for Luchanko? I don't really have great knowledge of the prospects after Michkov, so it's kind of a toss up between Luchanko, Barkey, and......Rizzo? Bonk? Desnoyers? I don't know.

It doesn't look like a strong pool at all, considering who we are choosing for our second best prospect. Is there any other team in the league with a worse "second best prospect" than the Flyers?

Voted for Jetter Fitchanko, probably recency bias and buying into the Flyers propaganda but hey. Maybe he'll be a pleasant surprise.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I voted for Bonk as the most important prospect to this franchise, not the best. As @Magua said, Barkey is probably the most talented of the non-Michkovs but will almost certainly be held back from an honest chance to crack this lineup because of his size. Bonk is the all-eggs basket who will be given every opportunity to succeed, so his outcome will have a major impact on the franchise.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Zero hesitation, Barkey is more naturally skilled than Luchanko. His physical tools need to keep progressing; Luchanko’s are almost fully there at 17. Positives and negatives to each. It’s a toss up to some degree. But I know Barkey’s small space skills with the puck are better, and I think he’s as good or better passing.

The Flyers have had the 13th, 5th, 7th, and 12th picks 4 years in a row with no excuse to not sell more pieces. That’s my major takeaway. This is our vote for 2nd best prospect at the tail end of The Rebuild. Bonk getting a fair share of votes is the icing on the cake.
Going with Luchanky. Fight me.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I voted for Bonk as the most important prospect to this franchise, not the best. As @Magua said, Barkey is probably the most talented of the non-Michkovs but will almost certainly be held back from an honest chance to crack this lineup because of his size. Bonk is the all-eggs basket who will be given every opportunity to succeed, so his outcome will have a major impact on the franchise.

I guess, Bern. But then that logic dictates we should put Hunter McDonald #4. And I'm not sure that's the basis of this poll.

At a glance, there are ~ dozen players the Flyers passed on with consecutive 1sts that I'd rank as our #2 prospect. And I'll put it another way, the gap between Bonk and Gill, as the last top 2 round defenders, is so laughable I'm crying. And I think Bonk is a #4/5 defender, as a projectable outcome. I'm sure he'll have opportunity to succeed, but succeed as what? I don't buy for one second he should ever touch an NHL PP -- I'm one step from throwing "Bumper Bonk" away as noise. And his defensive metrics are mediocre for a defensive oriented guy who played on a team that barely entered the defensive zone, although to my eye he's got a few positives skill-wise.

Going with Luchanky. Fight me.

I said it's a toss up. I watched a period of both again to think about it. Luchanko clearly has more projectable physical tools. Safer bet. He also has slightly lesser hockey skills. It's a real battle of generous middle 6 ceilings.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Jett because he he may be more at an end point for strength, but I think it’s very impressive to be one of the top combine guys while being so young. He smart and motivated, a combo that always pays off. Add his speed and skill. I am very hopeful he can be a 1C. Likely 2C though.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I guess, Bern. But then that logic dictates we should put Hunter McDonald #4. And I'm not sure that's the basis of this poll.

At a glance, there are ~ dozen players the Flyers passed on with consecutive 1sts that I'd rank as our #2 prospect. And I'll put it another way, the gap between Bonk and Gill, as the last top 2 round defenders, is so laughable I'm crying. And I think Bonk is a #4/5 defender, as a projectable outcome. I'm sure he'll have opportunity to succeed, but succeed as what? I don't buy for one second he should ever touch an NHL PP -- I'm one step from throwing "Bumper Bonk" away as noise. And his defensive metrics are mediocre for a defensive oriented guy who played on a team that barely entered the defensive zone, although to my eye he's got a few positives skill-wise.
Thanks for your reply, Magua. To me, Bonk is an apples to rotten pumpkins comparison with McDonald. The former has the catchet of a first-round pick and the spotlight of Calder Cup high-performer action. He is in their fever-dream wheelhouse about a big Dman who can score. McDonald is the forcefeed of an all but unknown type onto the roster so the FO can fist-bump about keeping the BSB mystique on life support. When McDonald fails, he will join the long list of big players the Flyers tried to will into success. If Bonk can't at least hold down the #4 spot, it will resonate much harder for a team that has actively avoided skilled defensive depth.

Reactions: BiggE and Magua

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Normally I don't care about where their prospect pool gets ranked on the national lists, but I think their placement this year is going to be particularly illustrative. This is what some of us have been yelling about. The well is both shallow and lacking in high end outcomes once you graduate Michkov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad