Prospect Info: 2024-25 Flyers Prospects - Top 20 SKATERS, #17

#17 skater prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
Hunter McDonald went 16 and and some speculate he could make the team in the next year or two.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm going with Avon here, never going to score a lot, but good shot at being an above average 4th line forechecker with his speed and knack for making plays.

Gendron, Knuble, McLaughlin, Powell are all credible.

Gill is such an unknown I'm not sure where to rank him. They traded up for him so they must really like him, but seems boom or bust, gonna add 20-30 lbs to that frame, what kind of player will he be at that point?

Reactions: captainpaxil

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter McDonald went 16 and and some speculate he could make the team in the next year or two.
16 on a fan poll which is irrelevant.

I'm going with Avon here, never going to score a lot, but good shot at being an above average 4th line forechecker with his speed and knack for making plays.

Gendron, Knuble, McLaughlin, Powell are all credible.

Gill is such an unknown I'm not sure where to rank him. They traded up for him so they must really like him, but seems boom or bust, gonna add 20-30 lbs to that frame, what kind of player will he be at that point?
What do you mean by all credible?

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
16 on a fan poll which is irrelevant.

What do you mean by all credible?
They've shown enough to be long-shots,
Gendron struggled a bit in the AHL (at 19), then sent to Q but still 7 points in 17 games.
Knuble improved his skating and had a strong finish as a freshman at ND
McLaughlin made a big jump in his sophomore season at N Dakota
Powell was overage but got a summer invite to WJC tryouts.

Reactions: captainpaxil

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They've shown enough to be long-shots,
Gendron struggled a bit in the AHL (at 19), then sent to Q but still 7 points in 17 games.
Knuble improved his skating and had a strong finish as a freshman at ND
McLaughlin made a big jump in his sophomore season at N Dakota
Powell was overage but got a summer invite to WJC tryouts.
Got it. Knuble will always get the extended look because of his name. Early to say what he becomes if anything. I am not holding out any hope of anything significant in any way. If he makes, and he may then all good. He is the opposite of what I said about Owen though.

Owen doesn't have the work ethic nor does he want to put in the extra work. Just wants/thinks talent will be enough. Talent is there so we shall see.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I’d like to vote for Stinky McBoogerpants. Stinky, who is only 2 and, in the spirit of full disclosure, is actually a dachshund mix, is both tenacious and dumb as a bag of rocks.

He will be the perfect Flyer for this new era of orange tinted diarrhea. Oh, and he’s known for eating his own poop so he should be happy to eat all the shit that one must be willing to eat to play for the god emperor

• Haha
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We'll see for ourselves in training camp, but supposedly McDonald is now 6'4 230 with above average mobility and a high defensive IQ. Think Risto after Shaw fixed him, big defense first guy - which means all he has to be able to do is make smart exit passes from the D-zone.

Everybody loves offense first D-men, but most teams only have 2-3 D-men who score 30+ ES points, the other three better be playing defense.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
We'll see for ourselves in training camp, but supposedly McDonald is now 6'4 230 with above average mobility and a high defensive IQ. Think Risto after Shaw fixed him, big defense first guy - which means all he has to be able to do is make smart exit passes from the D-zone.

Everybody loves offense first D-men, but most teams only have 2-3 D-men who score 30+ ES points, the other three better be playing defense.

He was, however, the worst Dman at LHV when he came up last year. He has the mobility but his decision making was awful.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He was, however, the worst Dman at LHV when he came up last year. He has the mobility but his decision making was awful.
Which is why I withhold judgement right now.
College coaching isn't focused on development, much like CHL and SHL, HCs have to win to keep their jobs.
So college players often need a year or two in the AHL to dump bad habits/coaching and learn how to be NHL D-men.

Dumoulin for example, 3 years college, 3 years AHL before he became a starter for the Pens.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Wait, the CHL and college aren't focused on development now either? And the NHL doesn't have room for development either. I guess it's just the AHL (unless the team desperately needs to get to the playoffs that season, in which case not there either - sorry Kolosov).

I hope these kids are happy being the hockey player at 25 that they were at 15 because I'm not sure where they plan on developing.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Wait, the CHL and college aren't focused on development now either? And the NHL doesn't have room for development either. I guess it's just the AHL (unless the team desperately needs to get to the playoffs that season, in which case not there either - sorry Kolosov).

I hope these kids are happy being the hockey player at 25 that they were at 15 because I'm not sure where they plan on developing.
Can't blame Flyers development if you think development isn't supposed to exist.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Top forwards in the CHL play 20+ minutes, some D-men up to 30 minutes, which is what happens when the HC is focused on winning, but who pays the price? The second tier guys who need the minutes. The HCs aren't paid to develop players.

Same in college, it's not just the NHL, look how many college football players need 1-2 seasons to develop into pro players.

The SHL is more complex, in some cases, the team has a vested interest if they think they'll have the player for 2-3 years, in other cases, where the player will probably go to NA in a year, they're not going to invest a lot of time in that player's development.

This is why the team sends personnel out to consult with their prospects about what they need to do to prepare themselves for the next stage of their career. But they're limited in what they can do until the kid is part of the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad