CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Cincinnati/Tulsa trade;

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Buried in today's ECHL musings piece by Justin Cohn for FloHockey is a subtopic that piqued my summertime interest ...

Players Bolting Overseas
One of the biggest challenges of coaching in the ECHL is dealing with the roster turnover, both during the offseason and regular season. Multiple coaches have told me they’re exasperated by the number of quality players taking contracts overseas this summer.

More than 55 players who were in the ECHL last season already have taken overseas contracts.

The list includes big names, such as Orrin Centazzo (Toledo), Riley Sawchuk (Toledo), Erik Bradford (Kalamazoo), Owen Headrick (Wheeling), Ture Linden (Fort Wayne), Zack Andrusiak (Fort Wayne) Isaac Johnson (Newfoundland), Jonny Tychonik (Newfoundland), Collin Adams (Kalamazoo), Patrick Grasso (Adirondack), Carter Souch (Greenville), Max Martin (Greenville), Brett Stapley (Utah) and Keanu Yamamoto (Rapid City).

It's not difficult to see why players do it. Aside from getting the experience of playing overseas, it’s the money.

As one player told me: “Unless you have a shot of making it to the NHL, it’s a no-brainer to go to Europe or Russia. Like, you make $20K here in the ECHL and pay taxes, or go to Europe and make $40K and the team pays your taxes and living expenses. It’s a no-brainer, unless you have NHL hopes.” ...

Read more Way Down in: https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/12681895-echl-landscape-changing-rapidly-this-summer | FloHockey.tv

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00