Speculation: 2024-25 Coaching/Management/Ownership

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Disagree. It’s fair to wonder, as a fan, if they even are going to name a captain. The fact is they’ve deemed it acceptable to not have a captain the last 2 years, which okay, that’s their prerogative.

But at some point you have to pick a leader and move forward for the better of the organization - even if it’s a stop gap

It’s starting to piss me off - call me impatient all you want

And the people saying that Verbeek guaranteed they’d name a captain this year completely misinterpreted what he said

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Sources tell me that Bauer is waiting for some Vans material to show up (on that slow boat from China) so they can make the new captain some special orange skates with an embossed C on the outside of each ankle. Hopefully in time for an opening day announcement.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
No offense to the fans but outside of this board I find Ducks fans are 95% clueless idiots, crybabies, and/or doomsayers.
Oh god I can’t imagine what you say about the fans on the boards!

Disagree. It’s fair to wonder, as a fan, if they even are going to name a captain. The fact is they’ve deemed it acceptable to not have a captain the last 2 years, which okay, that’s their prerogative.

But at some point you have to pick a leader and move forward for the better of the organization - even if it’s a stop gap

And the people saying that Verbeek guaranteed they’d name a captain this year completely misinterpreted what he said

I’d rather hold off picking a captain than do something crazy like give it to fowler

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada

They’ve been waiting for someone to emerge as the obvious choice(rightfully so) and clearly no one has done that.

Ideally one of the youngsters would take the reins but looking at that group I don’t see adding a captaincy to their workload as a positive until they mature a bit more. I think McTavish could be a good choice, but he has enough to worry about with his pro game at the moment.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
They’ve been waiting for someone to emerge as the obvious choice(rightfully so) and clearly no one has done that.

Ideally one of the youngsters would take the reins but looking at that group I don’t see adding a captaincy to their workload as a positive until they mature a bit more. I think McTavish could be a good choice, but he has enough to worry about with his pro game at the moment.
I just don’t understand why it has to be a young guy.

They have 2 guys who are very well respected around the league and by their teammates(Gudas/Killorn). Maybe there’s something I’m missing but I’ll be disappointed if one of them isn’t given the C

It’s starting to feel like a gimmick

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

They have 2 guys who are very well respected around the league and by their teammates(Gudas/Killorn). Maybe there’s something I’m missing but I’ll be disappointed if one of them isn’t given the C

Verbeek didn't want to give out the C two years ago b/c he wanted to give it to a youth. That's probably why the notion the C would "ideally" be better if it were a youth. Yet, they're all still too young for the captaincy. The no captaincy experiment (or gimmick) should be coming to an end this year b/c Verbeek said he'll have a captain.

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada

I’m guessing so they wouldn’t have to go through this process again in a couple years. Gudas may get the C for 2-3 years but one of the young guys will eventually have to emerge as a leader of this team. When we start sniffing at the playoffs again, Gudas and Killorn may be gone. Ideally you have that young guy take the C now and for the foreseeable future and he has it for a long tenure like Getzlaf.

Not that I would want to emulate the Leafs, but Matthews took over for an aging Tavares to lead the younger core going forward. He’s the face of the team and has earned the right to have the loudest voice. Who’s the face of the Ducks right now? Leo maybe? Problem is he’s 19.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

He’s not wrong that PV wanted one of the kids to step up but us being here a few years later still with no C kind of highlights the flaw in that plan. We need leaders to develop leaders, but ours keep retiring or being traded away at the deadline for assets that may turn into leaders one day!

Surely there’s someone on the team who can fill the role? If not, that’s not just too bad, it’s another mark against the plan we’re following.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad