Speculation: 2024-25 Coaching/Management/Ownership

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Didn't Henry make massive bank with Broadcom's value jumping way up recently? He may be fine with a little more spending all of a sudden.

Not necessarily, given that minimizing expenditure is more of a philosophy among the truly wealthy than personal preference, but you never know.
yes, yes he did. Samueli’s net worth had literally tripled in 5 years

disgustingly rich

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Yeah a coach having "friction" with players means literally nothing to me. I feel like at least half of the coaches in the last century are antagonistic and push back against their players, that's what they're supposed to do.

I would be shocked if Cronin was fired before season's end but wouldn't be that surprised if we parted ways with him after the season, unless he makes a pretty significant improvement.

A lot may depend on next year's FA/trade situation, too. If we can somehow land a bigger player it may justify hiring a different, more renowned coach.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
"Gibson will never play a game for the Ducks again"

yes, he does make false reports, especially with us.
He's been right on a lot over the years. Ok, sure he did a poor job of characterizing that because like i said he's a troublemaker. Also there's no insider out there with a perfect record.

And Stephens said just last week that he's confident that Verbeek has tried to trade Gibson on a few occasions. It's not like he's just spitballing about something that has never been seriously discussed behind the scenes.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
We had Eakins for 4 years so its possible he gets at least 3. This season is a big one for him though

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We had Eakins for 4 years so its possible he gets at least 3. This season is a big one for him though

We kept Eakins for 4 years b/c he was contracted for 4 years. I think the org didn't want to pay double at the HC position. Similarly, PK coach Brown was kept until his contract ended. Again, the org didn't want to pay double if they were to fire Brown and hire someone to replace him.

How long Cronin stays probably is directly attached to how long a contract he was given. And we don't know the term of his contract.

I'd be keeping my eye on Gulls head coach McIlvane next season. If he can improve the AHL club more than Cronin can improve his NHL club, then I can see McIlvane getting promoted in 2025-26 season.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
We kept Eakins for 4 years b/c he was contracted for 4 years. I think the org didn't want to pay double at the HC position. Similarly, PK coach Brown was kept until his contract ended. Again, the org didn't want to pay double if they were to fire Brown and hire someone to replace him.

How long Cronin stays probably is directly attached to how long a contract he was given. And we don't know the term of his contract.

I'd be keeping my eye on Gulls head coach McIlvane next season. If he can improve the AHL club more than Cronin can improve his NHL club, then I can see McIlvane getting promoted in 2025-26 season.
I agree with you that McIlvane is probably Pat's future guy, but I don't see 1 successful year of AHL coaching (if he can manage it) being enough to get him the job.

Pat has put himself in a difficult spot, because if Cronin bombs out then I can't see him being kept on, either. Which means likely hiring another coach to hold the seat until McIlvane proves himself and risking losing McIlvane to another team.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

IMG_5330.jpeg

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
That’s a pretty level headed assessment of a team that’s been mired in a rebuild for a while honestly.

Not many fan bases would give their team higher than a D overall grade if their team had missed the playoffs 6 straight seasons.

To crap on the fan base after giving a C+ is kind of odd

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
That’s a pretty level headed assessment of a team that’s been mired in a rebuild for a while honestly.

Not many fan bases would give their team higher than a D overall grade if their team had missed the playoffs 6 straight seasons.

Agreed. I feel it pretty accurately presents the current team. Good drafting, reasonable development, solid cap management, aversion to terrible contracts. I think most would say the Ducks are in a pretty good position development wise, but everyone's just waiting to see how the next step goes.

It's either going to swing up to an "A" or "B" of things break right in the next few years or down to an "F" they don't take that next step.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I think it’s an extremely fair assessment of the Facebook group.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Agreed. I feel it pretty accurately presents the current team. Good drafting, reasonable development, solid cap management, aversion to terrible contracts. I think most would say the Ducks are in a pretty good position development wise, but everyone's just waiting to see how the next step goes.

It's either going to swing up to an "A" or "B" of things break right in the next few years or down to an "F" they don't take that next step.
I think this is right.

One thing that bothers me is that drafting and developing are always linked in these things. I know they're related, but they're two different departments with different personnel and processes. I think the Ducks' drafting has been an A. I think their development has been a C-, at best. And we really don't even know how it's going to pan out under Verbeek. Under Murray, it was a D.

And it's the development that will make the difference. If it's good, the Ducks will head back to the playoffs in a couple seasons. If it's not, I doubt they can make up the difference in the other categories.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I think the Ducks' drafting has been an A. I think their development has been a C-, at best. And we really don't even know how it's going to pan out under Verbeek. Under Murray, it was a D.

Am I understanding this statement correctly? How are Murray and Verbeek responsible for player and/or prospect development? That’s on the coaching staff

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

My opinion on the fanbase is not based solely off this.

It isnt terrible but trading and free agency being that low is kind of a joke.
How can you think they are 27th in the NHL for trades? Other then the Lindholm trade I would say the Ducks have won every trade they have made since he started here. But if you ask a typical Ducks fan they will act like a 4th for Meyers means PV should be fired.

Call me crazy but I would much rather have signed noone in UFA then given out a lot of the contracts that went out on July 1st. Sometimes NOT signing players is just as important as signing some. They forsure are not 29th in UFA singings during PV's tenure. Vatrano and Gudas FAR outweigh any negative from Strome, and Killorn is way too early to tell.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think this is right.

One thing that bothers me is that drafting and developing are always linked in these things. I know they're related, but they're two different departments with different personnel and processes. I think the Ducks' drafting has been an A. I think their development has been a C-, at best. And we really don't even know how it's going to pan out under Verbeek. Under Murray, it was a D.

And it's the development that will make the difference. If it's good, the Ducks will head back to the playoffs in a couple seasons. If it's not, I doubt they can make up the difference in the other categories.

I agree that drafting and development should be different categories.

Am I understanding this statement correctly? How are Murray and Verbeek responsible for player and/or prospect development? That’s on the coaching staff

GM's could rush players through the system.

Murray
Murray sort of rushed Lundy, but also kinda not. Lundy played 15 NHL games in his D+1 and D+2 seasons, per season. COVID shutdown the CHL for most of the season, putting Drysdale, Perreault, and Tracey into the AHL. Can't put that on the GM since every GM did the same thing with their CHL prospects.

In 14 drafts, Lundy is the closest player that has been somewhat rushed, in my memory. Murray's had a lot of non top-10 make the NHL club along with several prospects drafted in round 4 - 7.

Verbeek
With Verbeek, he rushed Carlsson and Luneau in order to do a novel load mgmt program. Both would have been better off in the respective team, SHL for Carlsson and QMJHL for Luneau. Under new coaching this past season, Verbeek's mantra of playing through injury and okay with drinking water through a fire house probably wasn't a great idea for many of our youths. We have only had 2 drafts under Verbeek to rush players and he already has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad