Prospect Info: [2024 - 21st] Michael Hage, Chicago Steel (USHL), Committed to U of Michigan

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Perhaps. But I would have felt better if it had been the other way around with Hage having been selected by Hockey Canada for the U20 summer evaluation camp instead of Luchenko.
Why? Because you can't see the obvious bias Team Canada has for players that decide to not go to the CHL ? Sacha Boisvert, Michael Hage, Letourneau, Perron, Castagna and Mustard are somehow some of the only top 100 picks eligible to NOT be invited. Hage, Perron and Boisvert are all good enough, if not flat out better than a lot of the names on the list.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don't hate Matheson but he's taking valuable time on the powerplay from our best prospects. And we have an overload of lefty defensemen. I don't think it's a move that should be rushed, but they have to start thinking about it. We'd still have Savard as a solid mentor and in a weaker position (RD).
No he’s not.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Why? Because you can't see the obvious bias Team Canada has for players that decide to not go to the CHL ? Sacha Boisvert, Michael Hage, Letourneau, Perron, Castagna and Mustard are somehow some of the only top 100 picks eligible to NOT be invited. Hage, Perron and Boisvert are all good enough, if not flat out better than a lot of the names on the list.
I view alleged biases with the same skepticism as I do with respect to most conspiracy theories. Luchenko's pedigree includes playing for Canada, and excelling, in best on best competitions like the U17 and U18 world tournaments. Hage, on the other hand, has not. Both are fine prospects. But to suggest Luchenko was a reach where drafted by the Flyers, is simply off-base.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I view alleged biases with the same skepticism as most conspiracy theories. Luchenko's pedigree includes playing for Canada, and excelling, in best on best competitions like the U17 and U18 world tournaments. Hage, on the other hand, has not. Both are fine prospects. But to suggest Luchenko was a reach where drafted by the Flyers, is simply off-base.
Hage was the 2nd best player in the last best on best tournament he took part in, Luchanko finished 41st in scoring of that tourney.

Luchanko isn't a reach because of Hage, but because of Buium which they passed on.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like this too!

What gets me excited about this top 6 is the guys that aren't there, which means the 3rd line should also be very good. I know you have to be very careful to pencil in prospects but with Newhook, Roy, Beck, Kapanen, Florian X, and Mesar we should be plenty deep as well.

We're starting to get deep at forward, just like on defense. It will be interesting to about in goal, with Monty, Fowler, Primeau, Dobes, the Russian kid, and Quentin Miller.

It seems this drafting team will bring in more than one NHLer each draft. And Hughes is good with asset management. So, that is a recipe for having tons of depth at all positions. It will be interesting to see what Hughes is able to do with the surplus assets.

Reactions: malcb33

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Hage was the 2nd best player in the last best on best tournament he took part in, Luchanko finished 41st in scoring of that tourney.

Luchanko isn't a reach because of Hage, but because of Buium which they passed on.
But so did eleven other teams.

It’s hard to believe that Buium was only the sixth defenceman taken in the recent draft, a drafting strategy that may well prove to be one of the more grotesque drafting errors in recent years.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
But so did eleven other teams.

It’s hard to believe that Buium was only the sixth defenceman taken in the recent draft, a drafting strategy that may well prove to be one of the more grotesque drafting errors in recent years.
I can't believe he fell that much, there might be something off-ice we don't know about there.

Or teams management are all into goal scoring over defense these days because that's what attract viewers and fans...and then they hire a 1-3-1 coach when they can't outscore their problems.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Briere said they did not needed him as they already have Cam York and Emil Andrae.

Reminds me of when Timmins said Quinn Hughes was not considered because we already had Mete.
It's akin to saying we don't need Demidov because we have Caufield, Joshua Roy and Filip Mesar. Brière is a bad GM and anyone that uses his decisions as an argument should be ashamed. The only reason he might find success is because he lucked out heavily on Michkov.

Reactions: Gustave

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It's akin to saying we don't need Demidov because we have Caufield, Joshua Roy and Filip Mesar. Brière is a bad GM and anyone that uses his decisions as an argument should be ashamed. The only reason he might find success is because he lucked out heavily on Michkov.
Could not agree more

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Will be fascinating to see what kind of season he has in the NCAA.

With how he finished last year, and going to a loaded Michigan squad where he could very well take 1C duties with McGroarty on his wing and Casey running point, he could be in for a monster D1 season.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Will be fascinating to see what kind of season he has in the NCAA.

With how he finished last year, and going to a loaded Michigan squad where he could very well take 1C duties with McGroarty on his wing and Casey running point, he could be in for a monster D1 season.

Can't wait to see his season. We are going to have a better indication about his true potential.

I have great feeling with him. His skillset is very very good.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
And that is a reason to believe Michkov may not be a top line forward.

Last edited:

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
We're starting to get deep at forward, just like on defense. It will be interesting to about in goal, with Monty, Fowler, Primeau, Dobes, the Russian kid, and Quentin Miller.

It seems this drafting team will bring in more than one NHLer each draft. And Hughes is good with asset management. So, that is a recipe for having tons of depth at all positions. It will be interesting to see what Hughes is able to do with the surplus assets.
I agree the cupboard is starting to fill up and it’s starting to show in the lineup. That did, one type of forward I feel we are missing is a winger who plays with an edge. Looking at Spence this year personally if we draft in the 8-12 range. We have size and skill getting added, but that guy with size that will have an extra gear come
Playoff time would be a great add

Reactions: 26Mats and Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I agree the cupboard is starting to fill up and it’s starting to show in the lineup. That did, one type of forward I feel we are missing is a winger who plays with an edge. Looking at Spence this year personally if we draft in the 8-12 range. We have size and skill getting added, but that guy with size that will have an extra gear come
Playoff time would be a great add
I don’t know how the draft is going to shake out nor the trade market, but we’ll need to add an RD of importance, soon. We have DR and Mailloux coming soon but they are a good 4 years away from the start of their prime.

The other priority would be what you said, a W with grit and skill.

Hard work for Hugo, but they must prevail.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I don’t know how the draft is going to shake out nor the trade market, but we’ll need to add an RD of importance, soon. We have DR and Mailloux coming soon but they are a good 4 years away from the start of their prime.

The other priority would be what you said, a W with grit and skill.

Hard work for Hugo, but they must prevail.
With Matheson nd Savard already taking two spots on the back end I struggle seeing us adding another RD from outside the organization. I see DR-Mailloux-Engstrom on the RD with Struble as a 7D. Reinbacher and Mailloux may be. A little out of their prime but so is most of our D corps. I feel we will see a big jump by the end of this year. Give the kids a year in Lavl nd they’ll make the jump

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I mean you can believe the ocean doesn't exist it you live in Ohio too, you'd be pretty dumb to believe this but go off.
It's another indication. Hughes didn't want him and a likely incompetent GM Briere did. Hughes may be putting too much emphasis on character, coachability etc. We will find out in the next few years.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's another indication. Hughes didn't want him and a likely incompetent GM Briere did. Hughes may be putting too much emphasis on character, coachability etc. We will find out in the next few years.

Not sure it's fair to say Hughes "didn't want him"... He just valued RB more.

In 5yrs from now, we'll have a pretty good lens to critique that assessment. Barring major injury for either player, how they look as players in their mid-20s will either validate or repudiate KH's assessment.

I don't think the org need/roster makeup question then will be a fair considerationgiven that in the present, we clearly have need for both a top line elite a order and a top pair RD...

This one can be a simple "who is the better player" question... But short of either flaming out quickly from the NHL pathway a la Yakupov or Juolevi, D4/5/6 is where it will become fair to call the decision good/bad (& quite possibly, the "bad" won't be because we passed on MM, but some other player picked after 5OA who takes off and becomes a star)

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Nothing is static. If we are lucky enough to secure a player(s) superior to those projected top 6, our top nine will only get better. And god only knows that until our bottom 6 are significantly improved, we will remain pretenders.
Carbo was quite fast too! Fantastic!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad