Prospect Info: [2024 - 21st] Michael Hage, Chicago Steel (USHL), Committed to U of Michigan

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Different type of players. Luchanko is a Bergeron lite while Hage is an Eichel lite.

Looks like Philly wanted a smart playmaking center who could really handle the defensive burden that Michkov will have on a line.
@WeThreeKings I’m interested to hear your opinion

Between

Demidov
Slafkovsky
Suzuki
Caufield
Dach
Hage
Newhook

What line combos would you run? We have a lot of guys that could slot in at C especially if you add Beck into the equation for more of a top 9 consideration. I’m also projecting that these players generally hit their ceiling for the sake of the exercise.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
is Luchenko better then Hage ? didnt know much about him feels like Flyers reached to pick him that high

When the trade with L.A was announced, the first two names that came to mind as being the players who I hoped might to fall to us were Hage and Luchanko. Both were at least top 15 talents imo and I don't think Philly reached at all. There were just so many good players in the top 23-24 that it was wide open and subject to interpretation from each team. I didn't think either would make it to us and nether did Hughes as he continued attempting to move up even further in the draft (we knew this about them wanting Hage but I strongly suspect that they would have also liked Luchanko a lot as well)

Hage and Luchanko were at the top of my list with Boisvert being next and Surin, Greentree, Jiricek and Beaudoin rounding out my wish list at 21. I didn't believe Eiserman would make it all the way to 21 (he didn't) but he came surprisingly close but I had Hage and Luchanko ahead of him anyways.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
@WeThreeKings I’m interested to hear your opinion

Between

Demidov
Slafkovsky
Suzuki
Caufield
Dach
Hage
Newhook

What line combos would you run? We have a lot of guys that could slot in at C especially if you add Beck into the equation for more of a top 9 consideration. I’m also projecting that these players generally hit their ceiling for the sake of the exercise.

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Demidov
Hage-Dach-Caufield

Would be my top 6 if everyone develops as expected. Demidov is more puck dominant than Slaf and Suzuki, both can shoot which will allow his playmaking to really shine and Slafs size opens up space for everyone.

Dach I like at center because of his defensive play and his playmaking ability, would give two larger players for Caufield, and Dach with Caufield I think really gives Dach a top end sniper to maximize his playmaking ability.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
I find I have to talk myself down in terms of what I expect from Hage in his rookie year in the NCAA or else I will be dissapointed. It some ways it’s good because I am clearly excited about the prospect but at the same time I may be overdoing it lol.

Reactions: Kiss Under the Guy

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Hage-Dach-Caufield

Would be my top 6 if everyone develops as expected. Demidov is more puck dominant than Slaf and Suzuki, both can shoot which will allow his playmaking to really shine and Slafs size opens up space for everyone.

Dach I like at center because of his defensive play and his playmaking ability, would give two larger players for Caufield, and Dach with Caufield I think really gives Dach a top end sniper to maximize his playmaking ability.
Thank you. That first line would make the Bell Centre go nuts on a nightly basis. Again we’re projecting guys to hit their ceiling but it’s very exciting.

This year I’m looking for Dach to stay healthy, Slaf to take a step, and Caufield to up his goal scoring a bit.

Hage looks really good. He had this one goal at dev camp where he takes a pass up the left side and then makes a move inside on the defender and beat the goalie and I was like damn. He looks legit. Excited to follow his play at Michigan this year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hage-Dach-Caufield

Short term, if you can get Laine for a bargain price and with retention, I would think he might complement Dach well. I would expect at least a 2 year wait for Hage.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
too early to say, I never saw him before the draft but he has been a nice surprise so far, we'll see if he sticks at center, the speed/skating is impressive though, the first time I saw him skate at the development camp my first thought was his skating reminded me of Carbo's for some reason.

He does have a bit of a similar profile to that of Mesar but I'll get a better idea of him since I should get most if not every game he plays next season.

His favourite move seems to be a zone entry and inside shooting which reminds me a bit of Duchene, though not as good

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
too early to say, I never saw him before the draft but he has been a nice surprise so far, we'll see if he sticks at center, the speed/skating is impressive though, the first time I saw him skate at the development camp my first thought was his skating reminded me of Carbo's for some reason.

He does have a bit of a similar profile to that of Mesar but I'll get a better idea of him since I should get most if not every game he plays next season.
Good call. I had the opportunity to watch Carbo play often and Hage's skating style really does mirror Carbo's. Hage, however, is bigger and his top speed should surpass that of Carbo's. Also, Hage has a higher offensive inclination/vision than our former captain and already has a better shot .
Quite a pick.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Yeah no for real
He is clearly a top 15, top 10 talent

Not sure what some teams were thinking but, thanks!

How do you look at that potential top6 and still say we need to get 2 more through draft and UFA lol
Nothing is static. If we are lucky enough to secure a player(s) superior to those projected top 6, our top nine will only get better. And god only knows that until our bottom 6 are significantly improved, we will remain pretenders.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Thank you. That first line would make the Bell Centre go nuts on a nightly basis. Again we’re projecting guys to hit their ceiling but it’s very exciting.

I believe that Demidov and Hage floor are really really good if they don't reach their ceilling.

Demidov floor, it's like a 60-70 pts player, a solid top 6 player.

Hage floor, it's like a 40-50 pts player, a very solid 3rd line player.

But, they have high chance to reach their ceilling, they have both high offensive IQ, great skating ability and great work ethic.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Hage-Dach-Caufield

I can easily see that aswell:

Demidov - Suzuki - Caufield.
Slafkovsky - Dach - Hage.

Slaf have really good chemistry with Dach this pre-season. If Dach stay healthy, Slaf and Dach would be a monster duo of protection of puck. Slaf and Hage would score a lot of goals with Dach.

Suzuki and Caufield stay together, but with a player like Demidov with them... that would be a very very good production line.

That's a lot they can do if they reach all their potential.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I can easily see that aswell:

Demidov - Suzuki - Caufield.
Slafkovsky - Dach - Hage.

Slaf have really good chemistry with Dach this pre-season. If Dach stay healthy, Slaf and Dach would be a monster duo of protection of puck. Slaf and Hage would score a lot of goals with Dach.

Suzuki and Caufield stay together, but with a player like Demidov with them... that would be a very very good production line.

That's a lot they can do if they reach all their potential.

I'd worry about who is digging pucks out in line 1 and who is creating space by doing the net drive.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Hage-Dach-Caufield

I agree. If you think back to 70s. Shutt lemaire lafluer line one very similar. Shutt the garbage gaol guy. Slaf bigger. Suzuki a lot like lemaire. Smart. And hopefully demidov similar to guy. Second line dach reminds me of mahovalich. Cc Is cournoyer. Hage not sure of comparison yet. Maybe Gainey but that’s a tall order

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
is Luchenko better then Hage ? didnt know much about him feels like Flyers reached to pick him that high

Higher floor, but lower upside would be my guess. I don't know either that well but in the few times I watched Luchenko I was very impressed with his overall game. Hage I have seen about 7 or 8 games of his so far and was surprised at how good he looked but he also looks more raw and clearly needs a lot of work on the physical side of things like adding mass and a lot more strength.

I live in philly and the talk is they went with need as their center depth at the farm level was really bad (I don't follow their prospects)

Hage-Dach-Caufield

that's the best combos i've seen so far for our future. Though I wouldn't rule out Demidov at center down the road if he can show a good bit of improvement in his physical tools (adding mass and strength) but that's really talk for down the road.

I find I have to talk myself down in terms of what I expect from Hage in his rookie year in the NCAA or else I will be dissapointed. It some ways it’s good because I am clearly excited about the prospect but at the same time I may be overdoing it lol.

It will be very interesting to see him as Michigan is slated to be a top team in the Big 10 again so it should be a lot of fun watching him. He's got the skills for sure but just needs time to get stronger and fill out his frame.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Hage-Dach-Caufield
I like this too!

What gets me excited about this top 6 is the guys that aren't there, which means the 3rd line should also be very good. I know you have to be very careful to pencil in prospects but with Newhook, Roy, Beck, Kapanen, Florian X, and Mesar we should be plenty deep as well.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I like this too!

What gets me excited about this top 6 is the guys that aren't there, which means the 3rd line should also be very good. I know you have to be very careful to pencil in prospects but with Newhook, Roy, Beck, Kapanen, Florian X, and Mesar we should be plenty deep as well.
The bottom six will inevitably be comprised of 2 or 3 players acquired via trade. It would be surprising if all the guys you named, outside of Newhook and Roy, stick.

Last edited:

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Higher floor, but lower upside would be my guess. I don't know either that well but in the few times I watched Luchenko I was very impressed with his overall game. Hage I have seen about 7 or 8 games of his so far and was surprised at how good he looked but he also looks more raw and clearly needs a lot of work on the physical side of things like adding mass and a lot more strength.

I live in philly and the talk is they went with need as their center depth at the farm level was really bad (I don't follow their prospects)

that's the best combos i've seen so far for our future. Though I wouldn't rule out Demidov at center down the road if he can show a good bit of improvement in his physical tools (adding mass and strength) but that's really talk for down the road.

It will be very interesting to see him as Michigan is slated to be a top team in the Big 10 again so it should be a lot of fun watching him. He's got the skills for sure but just needs time to get stronger and fill out his frame.
I live in Philly too. Hopefully Michigan plays in the Allentown regional in the spring; I’d definitely go see him play.

Reactions: montreal

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

At the dev camp, some players in the whites clearly noted he was both a first round pick and looked scrawny, they really went for him. What was surprising wasn't that he held his ground. He clearly needs more mass and strength, but man it really woke him up and he was the player after. Was very impressed by how he stepped up to the physicality. The NCAA should be perfect for him.

I also agree about Demidov at center. If anything, it feels good to finally have a number of options down the middle going forward. This management isnt going to trade one of our best prospects for a soft winger they'll try to convert.

Reactions: montreal and bopeep

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
For what its worth, Luchenko, who has elite skating ability, is a lock to make Team Canada at this year’s WJC. Hage will have to blow the doors off in his first few months in the NCAA to even get a sniff from Hockey Canada.

Luchenko was no reach by the Flyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For what its worth, Luchenko, who has elite skating ability, is a lock to make Team Canada at this year’s WJC. Hage will have to blow the doors off in his first few months in the NCAA to even get a sniff from Hockey Canada.

This isn't worth anything, youre right.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
This isn't worth anything, youre right.
Perhaps. But I would have felt better if it had been the other way around with Hage having been selected by Hockey Canada for the U20 summer evaluation camp instead of Luchenko.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022

Still wouldn’t have passed on Buium for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad