GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
MP @ 50% should get a lot in return in a potential trade.
Penguins cannot retain on any contracts this year. They have used the max of three.

They are retaining on Reilly Smith, Jeff Petry, and Jack Johnson. Smith and Petry retentions expire at the end of the season. Johnson has one more year.

EDIT - Nevermind, Johnson is a buyout.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Penguins cannot retain on any contracts this year. They have used the max of three.

They are retaining on Reilly Smith, Jeff Petry, and Jack Johnson. Smith and Petry retentions expire at the end of the season. Johnson has one more year.
Does JJs buyout count as a retained spot? I didn’t know that

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think keeping MP is weighing if you want the return he’d bring vs. his value as a stable partner for young players to develop with.

I can see both. Imagine trying to break in Brunicke next to Graves, Gryz, etc.
I'd imagine he'd be looking to cash in long term, so, even that benefit probably wouldn't be worth whatever it would cost to retain him. Depends ofc what other offers are out there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
IMG_0789.jpeg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

EDIT - Nevermind, Johnson is a buyout.
They are not retaining on JJ. They bought him out. He's using a buyout slot, not a cap retention slot.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
PuckPedia is better than CapWages in everything except layout/organization.

The information is updated faster and it is more accurate. CapWages doesn't have an accurate roster for the Penguins right now (it only lists five defensemen and no one on IR).

My gripe with PuckPedia is just organizational and labeling.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I am surprised Pens kept Rutger M. But 9 games he will probably be back with Rust coming off IR, Graves and ST Ivany pairing at ;east is a very hood 3rd pairing. Really want to see Ponomarev play as well.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I could still see Glass being the odd man out if he doesn’t find a role before Rust comes back. We really have no obligation to him, didn’t sign, draft or develop him, and we save cap space by waiving him and sending him down.

Reactions: Ulf5

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Not so…depends if Pickering is ready…
Even if Pickering is ready to play in the NHL next season, that doesn't mean he'd be ready to play the top-line minutes that Pettersson does.
I think keeping MP is weighing if you want the return he’d bring vs. his value as a stable partner for young players to develop with.

I can see both. Imagine trying to break in Brunicke next to Graves, Gryz, etc.
Yep, my thoughts too. If you can get a 1st+ for him, then sure, trade him. If the best deal is a 2nd + a prospect who projects to be worse than Koivunen? Then keep him.
PuckPedia is better than CapWages in everything except layout/organization.

The information is updated faster and it is more accurate. CapWages doesn't have an accurate roster for the Penguins right now (it only lists five defensemen and no one on IR).

My gripe with PuckPedia is just organizational and labeling.
Another thing wrong with Capwages is that they have us with Nashville's 3rd Round draft pick in 2025, but we got Minnesota's 3rd when they gave us Cody Glass.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could still see Glass being the odd man out if he doesn’t find a role before Rust comes back. We really have no obligation to him, didn’t sign, draft or develop him, and we save cap space by waiving him and sending him down.

Don't agree, Sullivan and Dubas have spoke very well about him. I think it's Puustinen followed by Beauvillier as the most likely guys to end up on waivers.

Reactions: Fordy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad