GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Dubas saying Graves is going to bounce back. There is no bouncing back. This is who he’s always been.

Maybe ask whoever scouted him to bounce back?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I suspect Dubas just sees this as an inconvenient few years to deal with before he really gets to have a hand at building the team and establishing his reputation. He doesn't seem to mind taking grenades til then... like... dude just shrugged through a whole season of not doing anything about the disaster powerplay besides like... claiming Matt Phillips off waivers for three games. Hardly a year that goes a long way towards establishing confidence in your GM. But again... I think he sees this as a slog he just has to get through before he can cook.

As for Sullivan who knows. I imagine Dubas genuinely thinks he's a hockey wizard but it could also be ownership telling him that there is a hard line that cannot be crossed. Tough to get a read, there.
Maybe that's how he looks at it now. If that's how he looked at it from the start, trading for Karlsson is an awfully strange thing to do.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Thankfully I read that at 2pm and not 12am otherwise I would have bumped the wife over and invited Dubas in.

That philosophical change alone will do wonders. I maintain that he built the team that Sullivan wanted last year and it fell flat on its face due to it being an outdated way to build a roster in the modern NHL. I think this year points to him wanting to return to a depth scoring team roster while also leveraging some cap space - Hayes and Glass deals. Granted, the guy is trying to juggle about three overarching priorities and is trying to strike a balance but it's good to know that the ultimate vision for the future is one of scoring lines not defensive stalwarts and grinders.

Honestly a bit surprised for Gauthier to end up in Wheeling again, I kinda feel bad for him. He's been performing well there and probably should be in the AHL.
Interesting. I love Murashov being in the AHL because that's where he belongs. It will be very interesting to see what happens when Neds is off IR.
MP @ 50% should get a lot in return in a potential trade.
Handle two ways:
DOC - will try to get you in a long term, low dollar deal like a $3mil for 5yrs.
Petts - you either take a mid-term, short deal like a $5 x 2yrs or we trade you out for the high dollar TDL return you will command.

Makes plenty of sense to keep DOC. Cash in on Petts now though unless we are in the playoffs. Pretty easy.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
DOC - will try to get you in a long term, low dollar deal like a $3mil for 5yrs.
Depends on what kind of season DOC has but I would not give him a five year contract. Stay away from these long time contracts for 3rd line guys. If he has a really good season and establishes himself as a 1st line winger I can see a reason for a long term contract.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Depends on what kind of season DOC has but I would not give him a five year contract. Stay away from these long time contracts for 3rd line guys. If he has a really good season and establishes himself as a 1st line winger I can see a reason for a long term contract.
The Pens shouldn't be handing out any long term deals atm, unless they're a high % bargain for trade value later.
They need to not have their hands tied when the core quit.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think Karlsson was a mix of "oh, this 100pt blueliner fell into our lap and we have a buncha trash that amounts to his cap hit conveniently" and "give 'em one last shot at this thing" tbh.
It was just Dubas wanting to make a big splash after the hype of his arrival. An ego move, to quiet the loudmouth doubters and show off to FSG.
Then he saw what the team truly is, reality set in, and he started backtracking.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The way people talk about Petts as if he's some insanely important defensive juggernaut is bonkers to me, man. Dude's semi-competent in his own zone, and yeah that's unique on this blueline, sure, but you trade that dude the second someone offers you a 1st rounder or a good prospect+pick package this March. Zero hesitation whatsoever.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I would nearly bet my house that Sullivan will be here until at least post-Olympics. No matter how poorly the season goes. Regardless of my persona feelings, I don't see the Penguins firing Team USA's head coach.
Sullivan's contract runs out after the 2026-27 season. I would not be shocked to see him still here at the end of it. They clearly like him as a person and recognise that it isn't an "easy" task to do.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The way people talk about Petts as if he's some insanely important defensive juggernaut is bonkers to me, man. Dude's semi-competent in his own zone, and yeah that's unique on this blueline, sure, but you trade that dude the second someone offers you a 1st rounder or a good prospect+pick package this March. Zero hesitation whatsoever.
I think he's due a little more credit than that. He's a very solid #2 for a #1dman like Letang or Karlsson. He would bolster many left side defenses in the league quite nicely.

I'm hoping Tampa really pushes for cup contention and that they are willing to send us Geekie for him.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
It was just Dubas wanting to make a big splash after the hype of his arrival. An ego move, to quiet the loudmouth doubters and show off to FSG.
Then he saw what the team truly is, reality set in, and he started backtracking.
this seems pretty uncharitable. he tried to shoot the moon and it didnt work

Fordy

May 28, 2008
mp is a great player who i enjoy having on the team that they can trade tomorrow and i won’t even notice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad