GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"All right you buncha layabouts this is your last chance to make some noise! So I've gone out and gotten you Kevin Hayes, Anthony Beauvillier and the shitty Aho. Frankly if you can't get it done with that I don't know what to tell ya."

Like... I get it and I'm actually fine with him actually coming right out and saying some of this stuff but it's just kinda funny to think of that way.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think the objectively correct way to handle things is to see how the season goes. There's no reason to sign DOC or Petts any time between now and next summer imo. And if this team's languishing behind by TDL, you deal Petts. Hell, even if they're in the hunt, I think you trade him if someone offers you a 1st without a second thought, because you know if he's re-signed, he's getting a nasty NTC that makes his value tank or makes him impossible to move outright.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Would have liked to see him for a cup of tea but it doesn’t really matter, never made sense to keep him the full season. Hopefully he finds another gear in WHL now
Taylor Haase2:57 PM - OCTOBER 7, 2024

Funny moment. Kyle Dubas is talking about how the WHL scout who zeroed in on Harrison Brunicke worked for Brunicke's WHL club and you have to account for potential bias.

"It's like me with the Soo Greyhounds," he said. On brand.

• Haha
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

I get "this is your last chance" vibes from some of these Dubas comments.

Well yeah, if he doesn't play well he won't stay on the team. My point was more that they're not going to send down McGroarty just because he's waiver exempt. They'll waive someone worse if McGroarty is deserving of staying on the NHL team.

Also mentioned Avery Hayes as a guy who had a good camp.
Basically MP is getting dealt at the deadline :laugh:. With Pickering and Brunicke having had strong camps, they're probably projecting them starting next season.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I hope they know what they're doing with Mcgroarty. I just know Sullivan will be giving him 11 minutes a night and benching him in the third period any time the Pens have a lead.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Dubas is going to be a politician in 5 years lol.

I hope they know what they're doing with Mcgroarty. I just know Sullivan will be giving him 11 minutes a night and benching him in the third period any time the Pens have a lead.

A prospect like McGroarty is better suited to play in the NHL with our elite talent and learn from them then going down to the AHL.

He's proven he can handle NHL minutes. If he can't. He'll be the first one sent down when Rust is healthy.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Dubas didnt say this part. He said on the outside people expect this to be the Pens last chance but he hopes this season can prove those people wrong. Dubas totally shot down this being the cores last chance but of course Kingerski is trying to get clicks

Also not sure if this was already known but Doug Wilson is some kind of advisor for Dubas

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think it's more about the "contending era" and they'll really nuke the team this off-season if things don't improve. Which is a bit odd to say right after extending Crosby, but I figure Crosby was aware of this and understands the expectations for this team.
As long as that comes after nuking Sullivan mid-season, I can't really argue.

If they nuke the team and keep Sullivan, I'll be sick to my stomach.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
As long as that comes after nuking Sullivan mid-season, I can't really argue.

If they nuke the team and keep Sullivan, I'll be sick to my stomach.

I would nearly bet my house that Sullivan will be here until at least post-Olympics. No matter how poorly the season goes. Regardless of my persona feelings, I don't see the Penguins firing Team USA's head coach.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

Okay Rust is on IR retroactive to Sunday, so he's just on IR until he's good to go.

Honestly a bit surprised for Gauthier to end up in Wheeling again, I kinda feel bad for him. He's been performing well there and probably should be in the AHL.

Did he say that about the 2023 off-season additions? I thought he had made the point more about the defense needing to be good defensively and bring speed to the table. I don't recall him mentioning those guys were brought in for offense.
I thought he did at one point but I could be wrong.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Basically MP is getting dealt at the deadline :laugh:. With Pickering and Brunicke having had strong camps, they're probably projecting them starting next season.
Pickering would slot in Grzlyk‘s place, so that’s not a reason to trade MP. There are other reasons to trade him but this is not one of those.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Dubas isn't American so I don't think he gives a hoot about USA Hockey looking bad.

The org does, regardless. They bleat that kind of thing on the socials ceaselessly. Like it or not, public interpretation matters. Unless he records himself murdering puppies or something, I'd wager Sully is pretty safe at least until that time.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I hope we get more than a 2nd for MP. Hoping for at least a 2nd and 3rd, or a late 1st and 3rd?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It would be the coolest thing this team's done since the back to backs if they fired Sully mid-season or after the season. But this team's lame as f*** and run by dysfunctional idiots so that ain't gonna happen. When Sullivan eventually leaves, he'll be the one making the decision, and I imagine they'll put his f***ing name in the rafters or some loser shit.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I would nearly bet my house that Sullivan will be here until at least post-Olympics. No matter how poorly the season goes. Regardless of my persona feelings, I don't see the Penguins firing Team USA's head coach.
🤮

Not sure I agree, though. Dubas' reputation is on the line, too. Unless FSG has said "You can't fire Sullivan" in which case, shame on him for accepting such a condition.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
🤮

Not sure I agree, though. Dubas' reputation is on the line, too. Unless FSG has said "You can't fire Sullivan" in which case, shame on him for accepting such a condition.

I suspect Dubas just sees this as an inconvenient few years to deal with before he really gets to have a hand at building the team and establishing his reputation. He doesn't seem to mind taking grenades til then... like... dude just shrugged through a whole season of not doing anything about the disaster powerplay besides like... claiming Matt Phillips off waivers for three games. Hardly a year that goes a long way towards establishing confidence in your GM. But again... I think he sees this as a slog he just has to get through before he can cook.

As for Sullivan who knows. I imagine Dubas genuinely thinks he's a hockey wizard but it could also be ownership telling him that there is a hard line that cannot be crossed. Tough to get a read, there.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
It's kind of hilarious that the last 3 head coaches of the USMNT at the Olympics have been: David Quinn, Tony Granato, and Dan Bylsma. And now Sully in 2026.

Ty Hennes also has a role with USA Hockey.

Due in large part to a guy from Nova Scotia:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad