GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It means for the last 15 years everyone on here has said moving 2nd round picks was inconsequential and now suddenly they are the “key” to our rebuild.
When you have a history of drafting the players we did for decades in the 2nd round from like 93-2017, it’s easy to forget you can find good players there.

Long live Ryan Stone.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Would have liked to see him for a cup of tea but it doesn’t really matter, never made sense to keep him the full season. Hopefully he finds another gear in WHL now

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It means people didn't hardly care at all about 2nd and 3rd round picks this time last year. Now they are essential for the rebuild.

Anyway it's just a matter of a difference in philosophy and what you'd prefer to see from the team. You guys are bangin' the desk for the rebuild and I don't much care for doing borderline Coyotes stuff while Sid is still a player. Don't much care to go over all that, again.
You're fighting those imaginary phantoms again if you think people think 2nds and 3rds are essential to a rebuild. But hey, go nuts. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You're fighting those imaginary phantoms again if you think people think 2nds and 3rds are essential to a rebuild. But hey, go nuts. :laugh:

You asked for an explanation and I provided one. My thought is simply that I do not agree with taking on players with problematic contracts for the pleasure of draft picks that have a like 10% hit rate or whatever. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In the past Sullivan has plugged in the 13th forward for injuries to not break up other lines. Beau is for sure being scratched once Rust is back. He might eventually get a spot if McGroat needs AHL time

Yeah I think the healthy lines are going to be:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Eller-Puljujarvi
Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari
Beauvillier-Glass

I'd rather flip Lizotte and Hayes but I'm fine with the rest.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I wonder if McGroarty gets sent down today so we are compliant and then comes back up Wednesday.
I could be wrong, but I think because Nieto ended the year on LTIR he can open the season on LTIR and they don't have to have him on the roster for a day.

I don't think they have to do any roster manipulation for cap compliance.

They may have to do it for procedural reasons with the other injuries. Not sure of the rules. But that would just be sending McGroarty, Blomqvist, and St. Ivany down for a day, then recalling them when Lizotte, Nedeljkovic, and Nieto are on IR.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Right I keep forgetting we care about those. Now.
It's just better than signing a bad UFA for nothing.

Shame. I hope he has an amazing year in WHL. Really did great as a 18 year old D.

You asked for an explanation and I provided one. My thought is simply that I do not agree with taking on players with problematic contracts for the pleasure of draft picks that have a like 10% hit rate or whatever. I don't think that's unreasonable.

2nd rounders have a 13% chance of hitting 100 games or 200 I forget. Collect enough and hope one of them hits.
3rd rounders at 10%.

We need scratch off tickets to add to the 1sts and some of those scratch off tickets need to hit.
Adding a 2nd + 2 3rds is like a 33% chance we get a NHLer out of that.

Harrison Brunicke was a 2nd rounder and has potential to be an NHLer we need more of that.

Dallas Stars - hit on the scratch offs and are a great team.

Reactions: Ulf5 and eXile3

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's just better than signing a bad UFA for nothing.

Shame. I hope he has an amazing year in WHL. Really did great as a 18 year old D.

2nd rounders have a 13% chance of hitting 100 games. Collect enough and hope one of them hits.
3rd rounders at 10%.

We need scratch off tickets to add to the 1sts and some of those scratch off tickets need to hit.
Adding a 2nd + 2 3rds is like a 33% chance we get a NHLer out of that.

Harrison Brunicke was a 2nd rounder and has potential to be an NHLer we need more of that.

Dallas Stars - hit on the scratch offs and are a great team.
Yeah, I mean, I'm just so beaten down by Sullivan/JR/Hextall/Dubas running this team for almost a decade that I'm at the point where it's fine trading for a Cody Glass or Kevin Hayes and getting some lotto tickets for taking 'em instead of signing Brock McGinn for four years.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
When you have a history of drafting the players we did for decades in the 2nd round from like 93-2017, it’s easy to forget you can find good players there.

Long live Ryan Stone.
I remember Ryan Stone very well because Loui Eriksson was taken right after him and prior to his debauchery in Vancouver, I wanted him on Sid's RW. So many what-ifs in the draft that make me wonder. Toews/Backstrom/Kessel over Staal. Literally anyone over Pouliot. One of my favorite "whews" is Michael Gergen. Lol, if you want a trip down draft PTSD lane, look him up.
In the past Sullivan has plugged in the 13th forward for injuries to not break up other lines. Beau is for sure being scratched once Rust is back. He might eventually get a spot if McGroat needs AHL time
Yeah this is where I get nervous. If they send McG back to WBS (which I am ultimately fine with) AND Rust comes back, it's a complete reworking of the lines. Your last 1-2 games in pre-season should be solidifying your lineup for the first couple of games.

Unless it's merely Puustinen-Eller-Puljujuarvi and DOC-Sid-Rust with Beauvillier as the HS. Otherwise, 3 of 4 lines are likely different.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah the cap hit of the 4th line is meaningless. When you have the top 6 is locked in as it is, other lines cap distribution is a red herring for discussing cap management.

The only thing I wish, was they could find a way to ditch ONE of Eller, Acciari, or Hayes or potentially even Glass. My logic being that it would allow us to have 1-2 extra guys in the lineup just for the sake of being able to rotate guys in and out.
Ditching Eller would seal a playoff miss imo. PK and L3 defending would suffer. I think Eller can score at a better clip than last year too, with these improved linemates.
I see him outperforming his contract again.
Hayes has nice hands but is barely skating out there. I expect him to get lit up defensively.
I need to see more from Glass before I consider him one of our best 12 Forwards. 20 game sample would be good.
Hopefully Acciari's camp wasn't a flash in the pan against bad teams. Keeping expectations low with him. But God knows we could use a high shooting % year from someone lol.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That lineup is about as best as can be expected.

Nice to see Pulju and Groat bully their way on to the roster. I would say that neither were a lock to start so that's promising to see for several reasons.

Reactions: WickedWrister

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
"Injury notes: Blake Lizotte, Bryan Rust and Alex Nedeljkovic have been placed on Injured Reserve. In addition, forward Matt Nieto has been placed on Long-Term Injured Reserve and forward Vasily Ponomarev has been designated as Injured Non-Roster."

Dubas press conference is live:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
*sigh*

Rust starting off the year on IR. Very Penguin-y.

Perhaps this is what the team/media meant a few years back when they called him "The Ultimate Penguin."

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Interesting that Rust is also going on IR, I expected Lizotte and Nedjelkovic but Rust seemed like he was likelier to start the season healthy. I figure he has to stay on for a week from today though, so he'll only miss 3 games.

Worst case scenario they run with Beauvillier on L1 for the first 4 games against the Rangers, Wings, Leafs and Habs.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad