GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Indeed.

And giving that dude a quarter-of-a-season? Eh, more comfortable with a 5-10 scenario.

They might plan on having HB alternate games with JSI for a few before sending him back, seems like they might be keen on giving him a small taste.

Yeah 20 games always just seems like the "an honest assessment can now be made that the sample size is large enough" standard. But with Beau..., eh... think we mostly know what we're getting, here. Still don't really see the point in a signing like that but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Everyone on that 4th line has a sneaky good shot.
While funny, I will say - that 4th line is worlds better than our opening night 4th line last year. I would even that 4th line is better than our 3rd line of opening night last year. Provided they all perform at average, our bottom 6 is much improved this year.
The small pot-belly elephant in the room - when Matt Nieto is "better", he's getting waived and sent to WBS, right? Right?
Would rather have Rakell up with Crosby instead of Beauvillier. Then let Puusty play RW with Bunting & Malkin.
Nah, Bunting-Malkin-Rakell is going to be defacto 2nd line. I'd rather than build on what they already have.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Couple things to read into today's practice:
1. Brunicke is obviously going back to juniors. He was on the extra pairing and didn't do special teams work.

2. Beauvillier is the fill-in and may end up a healthy scratch when Rust is healthy. Don't read into his spot on the first line. He didn't work on the power play and is playing his off wing.

3. To tie into that, they're purposefully keeping McGroarty and Puljujarvi together. They did it with Hayes early on in camp and now it's with Eller. That tells me those guys are going to be in the lineup and that Beauvillier and Puustinen are at the greatest risk of being bumped out.

4. Outside of some pie-in-the-sky moves like somehow dumping Graves, I'm not sure the Pens could construct a better lineup with who is available and how guys have looked through camp.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I think it's a pretty reasonable guess that Beauvillier is the "top-9 injury replacement" guy in the lineup, where he'll just get penciled into whatever injured spot they happen to have in the top-9. I'm interested for where that leaves Puustinen when this team is healthy though, I also kinda figured that was his role.

Luckily "when healthy" is an oxymoron with this team, so they'll have plenty of injuries so that all of their forwards get a boatload of games in.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hayes got us a 2nd and 3rd for a 5th round
Glass got us a 3rd and 6th.

I don't care if the 4th line is expensive.
Yeah. The 4th line was always gonna suck with this coach and how he rolls his lines.

I know those aren't big returns but it is what it is. This team's still gonna pretend to be relevant until Sid retires despite all the evidence against that.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's pretty wild they actually got the lines right...

Maybe things will be different this year lol.

I’ve discussed me being a little optimistic that Sully might coach better this season with @BlindWillyMcHurt (he thinks I’m nuts I’m sure 😝)

Because we’re “officially” rebuilding now maybe that eases some pressure in Sully’s brain and he rethinks what he’s done lately and what works better going forward especially with a new injection of players (young & old).

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I wish Kyle had the stones to waive Graves.

Nobody would take him and he’d likely just end up right back here as I doubt they want to pay a guy in WBS a billion dollars. However, it would be a nice gesture that if you underperform badly there will be at least some kind of repercussions even if it’s just the public embarrassment of showing nobody wants you for free.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm fine with the lines. I just hope Sullivan doesn't stay married to anything. They missed the playoffs 2 years in a row by a game or 2. There needs to be a sense of urgency on every game. Can't let guys go goalless in 40 games again.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hayes got us a 2nd and 3rd for a 5th round
Glass got us a 3rd and 6th.

I don't care if the 4th line is expensive.
Yeah the cap hit of the 4th line is meaningless. When you have the top 6 is locked in as it is, other lines cap distribution is a red herring for discussing cap management.

The only thing I wish, was they could find a way to ditch ONE of Eller, Acciari, or Hayes or potentially even Glass. My logic being that it would allow us to have 1-2 extra guys in the lineup just for the sake of being able to rotate guys in and out.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I wish Kyle had the stones to waive Graves.

Nobody would take him and he’d likely just end up right back here as I doubt they want to pay a guy in WBS a billion dollars. However, it would be a nice gesture that if you underperform badly there will be at least some kind of repercussions even if it’s just the public embarrassment of showing nobody wants you for free.
I wish they'd Wade Redden the guy, but that kinda thing doesn't happen anymore.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't even know what this means. :laugh:

It means people didn't hardly care at all about 2nd and 3rd round picks this time last year. Now they are essential for the rebuild.

Anyway it's just a matter of a difference in philosophy and what you'd prefer to see from the team. You guys are bangin' the desk for the rebuild and I don't much care for doing borderline Coyotes stuff while Sid is still a player. Don't much care to go over all that, again.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I wonder if McGroarty gets sent down today so we are compliant and then comes back up Wednesday.

It means for the last 15 years everyone on here has said moving 2nd round picks was inconsequential and now suddenly they are the “key” to our rebuild.
Shit man, this place was ready to give the pick they took Yager with away for anything that wasn't nailed down cuz it was worthless. This place (myself included) is f***ing schizo. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad