GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Well from the sound of it, from
sullivan, Rust’s injury is minor and he’s likely playing in the opener. Let’s say Lizotte goes on IR, then that’s still 14 forwards if McG is up. Best option is to send McG down and until forced to make a decision. Sullivan will be keeping Shea and Aho up. Team can’t lose another D on waivers

Why? Shea is not that great. They have options in WBS if needed for an 8th dmen. Shea is not that much better than them. Keep Aho waive Shea.

Heck Pickering looked better in preseason. I would love to have him get a couple games throughout the season as the number 8 anyways.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also if this team is so concerned about losing another defenseman to waivers, why wouldn't they just waive one of their forwards and keep McGroarty up? Their forward depth is looking substantially stronger than it did last year, and Puustinen is the only guy who seems like is a risk of getting claimed off waivers. And even then, McGroarty already looks like a better player than Puustinen and obviously has a way higher upside. In a scenario where they lose one of their depth forwards to waivers, they very likely have the forward depth to be completely fine.

Even if we want to pretend that they'd keep up a nothingburger player like Shea just out of fear to losing him to waivers, I don't see how it makes any sense to send McGroarty down to keep Shea up. McGroarty's last couple of games firmly took him to "he should be a full time NHLer" in my eyes. Sending him down based on waiver exemption to keep up worse waiver eligible players is the exact kind of move people here have been complaining about for years.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Assuming Lizotte is on IR (and Rust is not) then I think it comes down to Brunicke vs Puustinen for the last spot. I don't think they'll expose Aho to waivers so it's a 14F vs 8D situation. If Rust also goes on IR then they both can stay for the moment.

Hayes and Glass will get time given their inflated cap hits, C/W flexibility and "veteran presence". Puljujarvi is a lock. MkG outplayed Puustinen. So did Acciari, and he was a lock for PK regardless. Beauvillier is the only one I could see getting dropped instead, but nothing about his usage suggests thats a possability.

Last edited:
Reactions: WickedWrister

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Why? Shea is not that great. They have options in WBS if needed for an 8th dmen. Shea is not that much better than them. Keep Aho waive Shea.

Heck Pickering looked better in preseason. I would love to have him get a couple games throughout the season as the number 8 anyways.
I didn’t say there was a good reason to keep him or to keep 8D lol.. I just think they will do it bc Sullivan said he had a good camp and they’ll be wary of possibly losing him. Shea-Ludvig was going tine their top pair in Wilkes

Reactions: Darren McCord

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Zone starts (%) are an overrated and flawed stat. Most line changes happen on the fly.
Sure, but it's still easier to score if your line gets the tap on the shoulder to take an O-zone draw versus getting the tap to take the D-zone draw.

Say every player gets 500 shifts, with 300 of them on the fly and 200 of them off of a faceoff in either zone. Even if we assume that everyone's "on the fly" start is the exact same (which still isn't) for 300 of their shifts, the guys getting an additional 200 shifts in the O-zone are going to get more opportunities than the guys getting an additional 200 shifts in the D-zone.

So while sure there's more nuance and context to the O-zone/D-zone start percentages, I don't think you can ignore them outright about their impact on a player's offensive opportunities depending on deployment.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Lol getting waived after year 1 of a 7 year deal. I don't understand why anyone gives clear bottom-6 players more than 3 or 4 years max, it's absolutely silly.

JR was guilty of this as well when he gave Tanev that 6 year deal and said "you won't get him if you don't overpay him", but I just don't see how any bottom-6 guy is worth overpaying unless it's a top-6 caliber guy playing in the bottom-6.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Lol getting waived after year 1 of a 7 year deal. I don't understand why anyone gives clear bottom-6 players more than 3 or 4 years max, it's absolutely silly.

JR was guilty of this as well when he gave Tanev that 6 year deal and said "you won't get him if you don't overpay him", but I just don't see how any bottom-6 guy is worth overpaying unless it's a top-6 caliber guy playing in the bottom-6.
I thought you had to be wrong about it being a 7 year deal, but nope. He's got an insanely good agent.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Teams should do this more often frankly. It saves cheap depth. That’s why I’ve been advocating waiving Hayes or Glass because no one is likely to pick them up

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why would they claim him? That just makes it more likely that Puustinen goes on waivers.

They need to claim a defenseman version of Pelletier if they’re looking at anyone on waivers.
Puustinen's fine but I don't see losing him as some unimaginable tragedy.

Pelletier is 2 years younger and has been more productive in the minors than Puustinen ever was. I'd make that swap.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad