Letang
Pettersson
Shea
St. Ivany

Blomqvist
Jarry
Larsson
Nedeljkovic

• Nedeljkovic, Nieto, and Lizotte will go on some form of IR - Ned will absolutely go on LTIR. That's three roster spots.
  • Ponomarev may join them since he's day-to-day. He does not have to clear waivers to be sent to WBS, but I think he can only be sent down once healthy.
  • Goalie is the easiest to figure out. Larsson will go on waivers to join Murashov in the AHL. Blomqvist will serve as the No. 2 will Ned is out.
  • With Karlsson ready to go but some question surrounding Rust, I think they'll only go with seven defensemen.
  • Brunicke and McGroarty are the only remaining players who are waivers exempt. Brunicke would have to go back to his junior team.
Based on this team's past history and the way they've utilized and talked about various players, this is my guess for the opening night lineup:

DOC - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
McGroarty - Eller - Puljujarvi
Hayes - Glass - Acciari
Ex: Beauvillier, Puustinen

IR: Lizotte, Nieto, Ponomarev

Pettersson - Karlsson
Grzelcyk - Letang
Graves - St. Ivany
Ex: Aho

Jarry
Blomqvist

• If Rust can't go, Beauvillier slots in.
  • When Lizotte comes back, it's possible Puustinen loses his roster spot if there aren't other injuries.
  • Love what Brunicke has done. I just don't think he's going to get an NHL opportunity at 18. This roster allows them to maximize assets and roster space.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I imagine it was slightly hyperbolic for effect.

The general impression is pretty accurate. Poulin, like a lot of junior scorers, isn't gonna make the show unless he can develop skills that'd make him more useful in the bottom 6 than he showed in camp.

I get the point. But, the team had success when they put players who scored less than Puustinen in 15-16 in Sheary and Rust in the top six.

It’s just not how good NHL teams are ran in today’s NHL. Over reliance on vets is a death knell.

Poulin is never going to develop if he is playing 6-9 minutes a night and 3 games a year.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Amazing we just dump a guy like Ludvig, one of our only D with physicality. I'm sick of Sully, weak, soft hockey.

"ludvig is awful" Colorado doesn't think so, and I'll trust their opinion much more than that of Sully and his minions. See Jack Johnson

Reactions: Jacob and DearDiary

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I get the point. But, the team had success when they put players who scored less than Puustinen in 15-16 in Sheary and Rust in the top six.

It’s just not how good NHL teams are ran in today’s NHL. Over reliance on vets is a death knell.

Poulin is never going to develop if he is playing 6-9 minutes a night and 3 games a year.
Poulin may never develop. Does anyone think he deserved a roster spot this year?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I imagine it was slightly hyperbolic for effect.

The general impression is pretty accurate. Poulin, like a lot of junior scorers, isn't gonna make the show unless he can develop skills that'd make him more useful in the bottom 6 than he showed in camp.

Yeah this is especially true with how Poulin’s NHL future is looking. If he’s ever going to cut it as a regular NHLer, it’s going to have to be as a Lars Eller type of defensive bottom-6 center. He’s not going to make the NHL as a vanilla jack of all trades type of guy, he needs to find a role/niche that gets him into a regular role.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
So, by my count, this is who is left in camp

Acciari
Beauvillier
Bunting
Crosby
Eller
Glass
Hayes
Imama
Lizotte
Malkin
McGroarty
Nieto
O'Connor
Ponomarev
Puljujarvi
Puustinen
Rakell
Rust

Aho
Brunicke
Graves
Grzelcyk
Karlsson
Letang
Pettersson
Shea
St. Ivany

Blomqvist
Jarry
Larsson
Nedeljkovic

• Nedeljkovic, Nieto, and Lizotte will go on some form of IR - Ned will absolutely go on LTIR. That's three roster spots.
  • Ponomarev may join them since he's day-to-day. He does not have to clear waivers to be sent to WBS, but I think he can only be sent down once healthy.
  • Goalie is the easiest to figure out. Larsson will go on waivers to join Murashov in the AHL. Blomqvist will serve as the No. 2 will Ned is out.
  • With Karlsson ready to go but some question surrounding Rust, I think they'll only go with seven defensemen.
  • Brunicke and McGroarty are the only remaining players who are waivers exempt. Brunicke would have to go back to his junior team.
Based on this team's past history and the way they've utilized and talked about various players, this is my guess for the opening night lineup:

DOC - Crosby - Rust
Hayes - Glass - Acciari
Dang, O'Connor's getting the wing spot next to Sid? As an outsider fan, kind of surprised Rutger isn't getting considered, is there a reason for that? (did catch the footage of yesterday's game and he did look good with the Euros on the 3rd line)

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Dang, O'Connor's getting the wing spot next to Sid? As an outsider fan, kind of surprised Rutger isn't getting considered, is there a reason for that? (did catch the footage of yesterday's game and he did look good with the Euros on the 3rd line)

DOC played with Sid after the Guentzel trade last year and it worked pretty well. I imagine McGroarty will eventually get a look with Sid this season, but Sullivan rarely throws rookies into major roles. I assume they will ease him on the third line, especially since he has shown chemistry with Eller and Poolparty.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Our coach says young players have to PK and play on the 3rd or 4th line when they come in unless they are scoring 40 goals or 100 pts.

Poulin may never develop. Does anyone think he deserved a roster spot this year?

This year? No. But over the last few years, yes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
+/- is obviously a flawed stat, but Ludvig was a -12 in 33 games last year. When you’re a depth player losing your matchups that badly, no amount of physicality is going to make up for that.

Ludvig not being in the organization is a net win because it opens up a spot for an actually effective defenseman to improve WBS and the Penguins D depth. They just have to bring in someone for that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So, by my count, this is who is left in camp

Acciari
Beauvillier
Bunting
Crosby
Eller
Glass
Hayes
Imama
Lizotte
Malkin
McGroarty
Nieto
O'Connor
Ponomarev
Puljujarvi
Puustinen
Rakell
Rust

Aho
Brunicke
Graves
Grzelcyk
Karlsson
Letang
Pettersson
Shea
St. Ivany

Blomqvist
Jarry
Larsson
Nedeljkovic

DOC - Crosby - Rust
Hayes - Glass - Acciari

IR: Lizotte, Nieto, Ponomarev

Pettersson - Karlsson
Grzelcyk - Letang
Graves - St. Ivany
Ex: Aho

Jarry
Blomqvist

• If Rust can't go, Beauvillier slots in.
  • When Lizotte comes back, it's possible Puustinen loses his roster spot if there aren't other injuries.
  • Love what Brunicke has done. I just don't think he's going to get an NHL opportunity at 18. This roster allows them to maximize assets and roster space.
Think Sullivan will keep 8D…after Ludvig was claimed, we can’t afford to have another D like Shea swiped…they should waive Aho but they’re cowards…it will be 13 forwards and they’d be stupid to waive Puusty as he’ll get claimed…I know people are down on him and you don’t like him, but 20 points in 50 NHL games and only 25 is nothing to sneeze at…team is better off waiving someone owed more coin or multiple years…again, they’re cowards so they won’t waive established vets, but Hayes or Glass is redundant and likely wouldn’t be be picked up…

Another reason I think the better move is to send McG down for a month or so, see how the team looks and prep him for a top six role…DOC should be a third liner on any other team…

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Amazing we just dump a guy like Ludvig, one of our only D with physicality. I'm sick of Sully, weak, soft hockey.

"ludvig is awful" Colorado doesn't think so, and I'll trust their opinion much more than that of Sully and his minions. See Jack Johnson
Yes I’d rather have Ludvig as the #7 than Aho.

But I think the Avs can deploy him better. They have some huge minute eaters in their top 4 and can pair Ludvig with Makar half the time to protect him.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Based on the pre-season performances, Puustinen shouldn't be one of their RWs anyway :dunno:

I definitely don't want him waived, but he hasn't been better than Puljujarvi or Acciari and Rust and Rakell are obviously better.
Pulling for Puusty but this is accurate. Hope he slips through waivers and gets another shot down the road.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The only issue with Ludvig being claimed is he's only 24. It's entirely possible that he continues to develop and becomes a solid bottom pairing defenseman.

That was about the age that Robert Bortuzzo started to figure out who he was and become more reliable.

I'd much rather have Ludvig still in the system playing in WBS. It's not a disaster that he's gone, but it would have been nice to retain him as an asset.
I doubt he will. He has extremely limited puck skills. His absolute ceiling would be getting those adequate enough to play third pair minutes.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I doubt he will. He has extremely limited puck skills. His absolute ceiling would be getting those adequate enough to play third pair minutes.
Sure, he has a limited ceiling. But again, he's 24, and it's not like he'd block anyone. Pickering and Brunicke are the top prospects on D. Even Isaac Beliveau or Emil Pieneniemi would leapfrog Ludvig. But Brunicke and Pieneniemi will be in juniors this year (assuming Brunicke doesn't make the NHL roster). And the rest of the WBS defense corps is guys like Kral, Clurman, Hollowel, and AHL contract guys.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
If McGroarty and Puljujarvi’s chemistry isn’t just a flash in the pan, if and when the time comes to drop DOC down the lineup and give McGroarty a chance with Sid, I hope Puljujarvi moves up with him. In a fantasy land where that pair really does jive perfectly and Puljujarvi finally taps into his offensive potential, this lineup would suddenly be crazy deep:

McGroarty-Crosby-Puljujarvi
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
DOC-Eller-Rakell
Hayes-Glass-Lizotte

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
If McGroarty and Puljujarvi’s chemistry isn’t just a flash in the pan, if and when the time comes to drop DOC down the lineup and give McGroarty a chance with Sid, I hope Puljujarvi moves up with him. In a fantasy land where that pair really does jive perfectly and Puljujarvi finally taps into his offensive potential, this lineup would suddenly be crazy deep:

McGroarty-Crosby-Puljujarvi
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
DOC-Eller-Rakell
Hayes-Glass-Lizotte
Whoa, ease up there buddy. TWO new wingers at the same time is way more than Sid's OCD can compute and handle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad