GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Remember when he alone came down with a terrible illness while we played in Vegas and shockingly was ready for the next game in the next city…
I mean, at this stage in his career and with his success you can argue he knows what he needs to do to get ready for the regular season, and if he were still on SJ, it might be OK, but it's not a great look when you have 87/71 training with the masses.

Reactions: Andy99

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
We'll see, I guess. Oilers fans seem to think he could've been something if not for the hip injuries, and hopefully the major surgery has fixed the problem. He was a monster at the WJC in his draft year, there's talent there, and he's fine as far as forechecking and defensive game goes. Just a matter of building on things now that he's healthy.
I am an Oilers fan(Edmonton born and live here till this day) and watched Puljujarvi since his draft year. I would agree with this statement. He is such a likeable character the only people who don't like Poolparty are people who would kick a small dog.

I would say injuries played a role no one will ever know to what extent as well as confidence. Then whenever he got a chance in the top six he would perform well enough and make a small error (McDavid would yell at him) and be on the third or forth line again. He is so likeable i hope he succeeds and is finally healthy to show why he was drafted where he is at.

Cheering for you Jesse!

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am an Oilers fan(Edmonton born and live here till this day) and watched Puljujarvi since his draft year. I would agree with this statement. He is such a likeable character the only people who don't like Poolparty are people who would kick a small dog.

I would say injuries played a roll no one will ever know to what extent as well as confidence. Then whenever he got a chance in the top six he would preform well enough and make a small error (McDavid would yell at him) and be on the third or forth line again. He is so likeable i hope he succeeds and is finally healthy to show why he was drafted where he is at.

Cheering for you Jesse!

I personally like Puljujariv in a 3rd line role more than I like him in a top-6 role, just because his strongest attribute seems to be carrying the puck and using his size/speed to push play. I don't think that would fit well with a center like Crosby or Malkin, I think he's best off as a play driver on the 3rd line.

Using a Penguins comparison, how he drives play reminds me a lot of how Staal drove play. Granted Staal was a center and a defensive menace, but I really feel like Puljujarvi plays a very similar "heavy puck possession" game and now (post-surgery) has the skating to do it really effectively.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I actually think this is a good description of Poulin from Sullivan. I think Sullivan's point of Poulin needing to find his "niche" to make it as an everyday NHLer is completely correct. Poulin has always seemed like a jack of all trades guy that doesn't really offer any standout skills, and it's really hard to make it to the NHL with only having that. Hopefully Poulin stays healthy and gets a long stretch in with WBS of playing well, I think he could have a future as a Blueger type of bottom-6 center.

Prob a good thing Ludvig got claimed. Opens another contract slot to bring in a D off waivers

Also he's horrendous so I genuinely think not having him even improves WBS :laugh:

Their D depth has been looking very, very bad in the pre-season so far, so I'm completely okay with losing basically any of these WBS bound guys with an eye to improve on them.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I dont think im even mad at Ludvig got claimed. From the sound of it he hasnt had the best camp. And as someone said, opens up a contract spot. Luckily one day after Harkins was on waivers :P

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Missed a lot of last night's game but awesome to see Groats do so well and Pulju continue to impress.

Also glad Poulin cleared. You never know... might make something out of him, yet. Just likely nothing very exciting.

Don't care Ludvig was claimed. Also no surprise Bemstrom cleared... as stated last night dude is actually somehow significantly worse than the guy they traded for him. Perhaps he can help in WB/S.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ludvig sucks shit, good riddance. But Colorado's probably gonna turn him into some solid #6 or something. :laugh:

Colorado has De Haan, Brannstrom and Kylington. It’s so weird they picked him up.

We didn’t waive anyone so cuts come tomorrow I guess?

I actually think this is a good description of Poulin from Sullivan. I think Sullivan's point of Poulin needing to find his "niche" to make it as an everyday NHLer is completely correct. Poulin has always seemed like a jack of all trades guy that doesn't really offer any standout skills, and it's really hard to make it to the NHL with only having that. Hopefully Poulin stays healthy and gets a long stretch in with WBS of playing well, I think he could have a future as a Blueger type of bottom-6 center.

Also he's horrendous so I genuinely think not having him even improves WBS :laugh:

Their D depth has been looking very, very bad in the pre-season so far, so I'm completely okay with losing basically any of these WBS bound guys with an eye to improve on them.

I actually hate Sullivan’s quote and it speaks so much to the bullshit on this team.

Not every player is going to score 40 goals and 100 pts that doesn’t mean you have to be a two way player.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I actually hate Sullivan’s quote and it speaks so much to the bullshit on this team.

Not every player is going to score 40 goals and 100 pts that doesn’t mean you have to be a two way player.
1728152728440.jpeg

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I imagine it was slightly hyperbolic for effect.

The general impression is pretty accurate. Poulin, like a lot of junior scorers, isn't gonna make the show unless he can develop skills that'd make him more useful in the bottom 6 than he showed in camp.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The only issue with Ludvig being claimed is he's only 24. It's entirely possible that he continues to develop and becomes a solid bottom pairing defenseman.

That was about the age that Robert Bortuzzo started to figure out who he was and become more reliable.

I'd much rather have Ludvig still in the system playing in WBS. It's not a disaster that he's gone, but it would have been nice to retain him as an asset.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Even if Groats and Blomqvist make the main roster to start the season, a WBS team with Poulin, Pono, Koivunen, Broz, Pickering, and Murashov is a better collection of young talent than they've had in years.

Not that that's saying much, but it'll make following WBS more interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad