GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
With how bad the depth D are, I wonder if they claim someone like Blankenburg or Fleury off waivers

Maybe the most disappointing thing is Dubas intentionally went out to address their awful depth on defense and the guys he got actually somehow look arguably worse than the farm fodder.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I feel Fairly certain se would get a player from waivers, be it Fleury or some "bigger" names the coming days. Dubas loves to use waivers.

BUT we are at 49 contracts. And that is assuming Brunicke fors back to juniors so his contract slides.

So I bet Dubas is beating himself right now due to not be able to pick up someone.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Nah, Fleury ain't any better than Graves - that's why he's on waivers.

We have Aho, JSI, Shea, and even Pickering and Brunicke.

We are flush with dmen.
Im talking about someone to be the 7th or 8th D. After JSI, RD is almost non existent at the pro level. Aho and Ludvig have not looked good at all either

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Im talking about someone to be the 7th or 8th D. After JSI, RD is almost non existent at the pro level. Aho and Ludvig have not looked good at all either
Yeah but I mean, it's not like Cale Fleury is going to look better. There's a reason he's on waivers. 7/8/9 guys just aren't that great in general which is why they are 7/8/9 guys.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah but I mean, it's not like Cale Fleury is going to look better. There's a reason he's on waivers. 7/8/9 guys just aren't that great in general which is why they are 7/8/9 guys.
Maybe #8/#9's but #7's are supposed to be able to take a #6 spot and do it reasonable well. Sometimes being just an aging vet.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Maybe #8/#9's but #7's are supposed to be able to take a #6 spot and do it reasonable well. Sometimes being just an aging vet.
I would rather just deal with Graves, Aho, JSI, Shea, and then try Pickering/Brunicke rather than adding an additional contract and cap hit to the roster. That's all I'm really saying.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Random thought but does it really dig at anyone else that we gotta endure boring, low-event hockey and somehow this team isn't even any better than mediocre defensively on it's best days?

Like... if we have to put up with this tedious horseshit could it at least be WORTH something?

I've thought the same thing.

If you were a Devils fan back in the day you were like "yea this team is boring, but it's superseded by all the winning we're doing"

This team can't even play "defense first" correctly.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I know it'll never happen, cuz "they gotta earn it" and all that bullshit nonsense, but I'd be fine with this team just dumping all the useless vets and rolling with youth. Yeah, they'll probably suck, but they're gonna suck regardless.

I've been beating this drum forever. The young guys are cheaper and we could have had a better top end talent in our top 6. But no, we gotta sign the likes of Accari and McGinn the first day of FA!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I know it'll never happen, cuz "they gotta earn it" and all that bullshit nonsense, but I'd be fine with this team just dumping all the useless vets and rolling with youth. Yeah, they'll probably suck, but they're gonna suck regardless.
Yeah, give me something to root for, at least. Instead we've got a team full of store brand Joe Dziedzics.

joe-dziedzic-1996-50.jpg

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Part of my impatience when it comes to starting the next chapter is that I genuinely think Sullivan's ego would make him leave if faced with coaching a perennial bottom feeder as the team rebuilds. Especially so because he'd face more and more questions about the development and progress of genuinely good, top tier prospects with offensive expectations.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really mind having McGroarty as one of the PKers if it means that one of the shittier players would be out of the lineup with McGroarty killing penalties :dunno:

In theory, McGroarty being able to kill penalties removes the need (in Sullivan's eyes) for keeping one of these pure PKers who sucks otherwise in the lineup. You could run with a bottom-6 of McGroarty-Eller-Puljujarvi and Lizotte-Hayes-Beauvillier without worrying about if you have enough PKers (or PKing centers) in the lineup.

Someone is going to have to kill penalties, and I sure as hell don't want Crosby or Malkin being one of those guys. If it's McGroarty learning how to PK or Acciari staying in the lineup, I'd rather have McGroarty learn how to PK.

Reactions: DesertedPenguin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad