Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Seems like the lines will be this to start:

O'Connor-Crosby-Beauvillier
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Hayes-Puljujarvi
Glass-Eller-Acciari
Puustinen

They're also using Brunicke like they're expecting him to get a 9 game stint, I think it's a no brainer with Karlsson out.

I imagine with the injuries we see that roster + Poulin up right?

defense is likely..

Gryz - Letang
Pettersson - Brunicke
Graves - St Ivany
Aho

And that's that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Normally. Not every situation is normal though.
For one, it’s not like the Pens are loaded with great options for that spot.
Secondly, the biggest thing you need to succeed with Sid is hockey IQ, and THAT IS McGroarty’s strength.
Look at the 2 LWs who played the best along side Sid- Kunitz and Jake. Neither were really big, nor was either blazing on skates. What they could do however was think the game on a similar level to Sid.
McGroarty can be Kunitz lite right now, and grow into a better version of Kunitz within a year or two…… but you have to start now!
Kunitz could skate, one of the reasons he was with Sid. There was a time when he had his sports hernia where he labored with his skating. He always leaned forward skating.

But Kunitz was a buzzsaw after the puck. Maybe McG can emulate that but he needs to get better at skating. Jake was a cerebral guy.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Depends on whether Karlsson goes on IR, I can see them running with 8 D with Karlsson not officially on IR as well.
They could put him on regular IR just for the roster spot.

Nieto and Ned on LTIR gives them plenty of cap space. They can put Karlsson and Lizotte on regular IR, which means they only have to miss seven days from the start of the year.

The question is Rust.

They may have to do some roster manipulation on the first day. I'm not sure if they can go right to LTIR/IR to establish their roster or if those players have to be on the roster first and then placed the following day. If so, McGroarty, Brunicke, and Blomqvist might be paper transactions for a day since they don't require waivers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Another great chance for the McGroarty-Hayes-Puljujarvi line, Puljujarvi rings it off of the crossbar after a nice feed by Hayes.

I can't tell if Hayes is just this at this point or if he's coasting in training camp, but that line could be really damn good if Hayes has another level to reach.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
lol Puustinen scores…good shift by Broz’s line…he’ll still be buried in the A and waived

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's nice that Puustinen got that goal but I still feel like he's being noticeably outplayed by his linemates. Broz looks especially noticeable out here.

Poulin looks much better today though, really satisfied with how he's playing today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad