GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
I doubt there is much of a chance that he sticks for the requisite amount of games but... I mean... if he plays like he belongs I will be irritated if they simply gloss that over and send him back anyway because "that's the way it's done." Player development is not one size fits all as you know.

Wait... pardon my ignorance but have the rules changes where a 9 game "tryout" is no longer allowed? Used to be that it had to be 10+ games before the ELC kicked in, yeah?
No, you still get the 9. I skipped right over that and went to 82 haha.

That's valid, I wouldn't really mind having St. Ivany as the #7 either. Both Letang and Karlsson get injured enough that he'll still be playing in a lot of games as the #7.

Brunicke would need to be a clear step ahead to justify keeping him up IMO, he's been really close to that but I also think St. Ivany has looked good from what I've seen.

Nah you don't want to run into those Sprong issues again where a guy needs more AHL time but needs to clear waivers to go to the AHL. That really gave the Penguins issues when Sprong was waiver eligible at like 21.

Agree with you totally. St. Ivany is no problem to me. I think Brunicke gives you an added dimension of puck support and offensive activation. St. Ivany is also not waiver eligible this year. That helps a little bit in terms of aligning resources. All that said, if Brunicke goes back and St. Ivany ends up the 6th D, I'd be happy with that. Might be a nice steadying presence for one Mr. Ryan Graves.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No, you still get the 9. I skipped right over that and went to 82 haha.

Word just making sure.

I think the team just plays it safe as usual and sends him back before his trial run moves into "official contract" territory. They haven't done anything fun or even semi-bold for years, after all. But it would be cool if he made them at least look stupid for doing it with his play for those 9 games. He HAS been awfully good... story of the preseason so far IMO.

I mean... assuming they even keep him for THAT.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If Brunicke hypothetically plays 9 games and looks nhl ready in them how do you send him down at that point?

Ready is ready imo.

It's the Penguins. It took them an entire season to fire a never-was assistant coach who was heading up a historically bad powerplay. If they were any more conservative they'd be actually moving backwards in time.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's the Penguins. It took them an entire season to fire a never-was assistant coach who was heading up a historically bad powerplay. If they were any more conservative they'd be actually moving backwards in time.
I mean I get not wanting to burn the elc and I get wanting to give him minutes to develop.

But I'm not sure a guy can't develop on third pair minutes in the NHL.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I struggle with the idea of burning the first year of Brunicke's deal on a team that is going to struggle to qualify for the post-season, but they aren't going to look any better three years from now, so lets just press the fun button as much as we can.
I don’t agree. What he’s doing is great but guys like Ty Smith come to mind as blowing everyone away and nearly making the team, only to come back the next year.

Rewarding him with some games is fair. I don’t think it is prudent to burn his ELC and play him in a limited role vs letting him go be a star in the WHL because of a month of summer hockey.

Dude has 21 points in 49 games last year. Let him develop IMO

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean I get not wanting to burn the elc and I get wanting to give him minutes to develop.

Of course he can if he shows he's ready for the speed and grind of an NHL season. Which I think a 9 game sample would at least give a pretty good idea about.

Like I said earlier... player development is not one size fits all. Guys sometimes can come in out of the 2nd 3rd or even past round in the draft and just... get it. It just doesn't happen here hardly ever so we forget lol

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I struggle with the idea of burning the first year of Brunicke's deal on a team that is going to struggle to qualify for the post-season, but they aren't going to look any better three years from now, so lets just press the fun button as much as we can.
Depends on whats best for him as far as developement goes. I dont mind burning a year of the ECL if he improves more then if he goes back to juniors. If hes screwed around between being anchored by Graves and sitting in the pressbox, well, then id rather not burn the 1st ELS year.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Of course he can if he shows he's ready for the speed and grind of an NHL season. Which I think a 9 game sample would at least give a pretty good idea about.

Like I said earlier... player development is not one size fits all. Guys sometimes can come in out of the 2nd 3rd or even past round in the draft and just... get it. It just doesn't happen here hardly ever so we forget lol
Sprong turned out fine too. Not on the Pens but still lol

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
The NHL keeps getting younger and faster. We get a promising young and fast player and the first thing we do is talk about sending him back.

Every player matures differently but if one is showing you something you should take a look. I don’t care what round he was drafted in.

Reactions: Andy99

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

I think the fact 3rd pairing defensemen get 15 ish minutes to 18ish. I definitely think they can.

4th liners get 7 minutes.

I'd give Bunicke a couple real NHL games if Karlsson isn't ready day one. Gives him a few games to get that feel. Do not pass 9.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
I have a feeling that Sully is going to destroy McGroarty as early as this season. Didn’t even get a sniff on Crosby’s line during freakin preseason.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
it would do wonders getting him lots of playing time and in all situations, instead of playing 6 min. a night because sully is sully
Harrison Brunicke? Yeah. Just because he is showing promise doesn't mean they should rush him imo. Not in this current situation with this team.

I think him going back to Kamloops to have a massive third year is better for his development, same for WJC. Not play in an absolute disaster of a defensive structure Sullivan thinks is fantastic.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I think the fact 3rd pairing defensemen get 15 ish minutes to 18ish. I definitely think they can.

4th liners get 7 minutes.

I'd give Bunicke a couple real NHL games if Karlsson isn't ready day one. Gives him a few games to get that feel. Do not pass 9.
He's 18. I think waiting a year to let him go back and take what he's done and just go beast mode in probably a final year in Kamloops before he makes the Pens next season is better. I mean sure a 9 game stint maybe would be ok if Karlsson is definitely out for that long but if not, I'd rather they just let him keep growing as a player.

Also, most teams understand how to utilize their roster and manage minutes, Penguins are not one of those teams.

I can see them go this route while Karlsson is out.

Grzelcyk, Letang
Pettersson, Aho
Graves, St Ivany
Shea

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
If Brunicke hypothetically plays 9 games and looks nhl ready in them how do you send him down at that point?

Ready is ready imo.

Sure but playing in this awful system on a team that will continue to be a shit show vs him at 18 going back to Juniors and playing in the WJC to have a very good likely final year would be better.

I don't really know if I want Brunicke spending his entire season as Graves' partner. I feel like that can have disastrous long term effects and then the shit system itself being a while other issue. Because when EK is back we're looking at this...

Grzelcyk, Letang
Pettersson, Karlsson
Graves, Brunicke

Whatever you lot think about POJ, seeing what they did to his development, which was a master class in f***ing stupidity, I don't have faith in them bringing this lad on properly this early. All Sullivan needed to do a few years ago was give POJ the treatment Ruhwedel got for minutes and we likely never see Graves signed at all and probably go after a better third pairing RD instead.

This situation the Pens are in with Graves is directly related to them botching POJ.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I thought Brunicke obviously stood out in the prospects tournament but was pretty reluctant about the idea of him playing on opening night, because, well it's pretty rare for 18 year rookies to make the NHL team out of camp - especially non first rounders like Brunicke.

But in these preseason games against better and older players, he's been able to hold his own and arguably even separated himself from the other 3rd pairing options.

The biggest concern is just the physicality. I don't want to see him get run by some jackass like Tom Wilson or get injured because he's not strong enough to fend off a forechecker going for a 50/50 puck. The Pens site has him listed at 195 lbs which is more than I thought originally and while he still probably isn't filled out, I haven't really seen him get rocked out there yet. So I guess I'm coming around to the idea a bit more.

Not sure if this list is accurate but it says the last 18 year old defensemen to play in the NHL was Jamie Drysdale in 2020-2021. Ville Heinola of the Jets got 8 games in the 2019 season.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
He's 18. I think waiting a year to let him go back and take what he's done and just go beast mode in probably a final year in Kamloops before he makes the Pens next season is better. I mean sure a 9 game stint maybe would be ok if Karlsson is definitely out for that long but if not, I'd rather they just let him keep growing as a player.

Also, most teams understand how to utilize their roster and manage minutes, Penguins are not one of those teams.

I can see them go this route while Karlsson is out.

Grzelcyk, Letang
Pettersson, Aho
Graves, St Ivany
Shea

I think even 3 games with the Pens would help him a ton with growing.

The speed of the NHL with feedback from coaches instantly on these are what you need to do to stay for next year so work on these in Junior to me is super beneficial.

Again the 3rd pair in the NHL is legit for developing as a player.

It is not the 4th line.

Reactions: Ulf5

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't worry about having too many players, CW. I worry about having too many CRAPPY players.
I guess I don't think we really have any bubble players who are so bad they aren't even NHL calibre, like Tanner Glass or latter day Adams.

Acciari is probably the worst forward, but he fills a role and could probably get flipped for a pick at some point. Beauvillier is fine as a cheap scratch ticket.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I guess I don't think we really have any bubble players who are so bad they aren't even NHL calibre, like Tanner Glass or latter day Adams.

Acciari is probably the worst forward, but he fills a role and could probably get flipped for a pick at some point. Beauvillier is fine as a cheap scratch ticket.
Agree.

I’d argue the issue is lack of top line, top 6 talent that is not pushing a guy or two into the 3rd line.

We have a lot of guys who are “fine” bottom 6ers and “fine” 4th liners but we need a combination of them to drive a 3rd line.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad