GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I've not run the numbers yet but I think they may have to put someone (in addition to Nieto) on LTIR if they want a full roster.
Nedeljkovic will go on LTIR, it sounds like. He'll certainly miss 24 days.

They'll just need to do some roster manipulation to start the season. Blomqvist and McGroarty, for example, might go to Wheeling for a day for the Pens to set the roster. Ned and Nieto go on LTIR, then Blomqvist and McGroarty get called up.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
With Ned and Nieto on LTIR, Lizotte hurt, and assuming Karlsson is OK to start the year, maybe we're looking at the following lineup --

DOC - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
Beauvillier - Eller - Puljujarvi
McGroarty - Hayes - Acciari
Ex - Glass, Puustinen

Pettersson - Karlsson
Grzelcyk - Letang
Graves - St. Ivany
Shea

Jarry
Blomqvist

LTIR - Nedeljkovic, Nieto
IR - Lizotte

Reactions: Dominance

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well we do know, despite the injuries and the fact that he’s an excellent PP player, that Puustinen is not in Mike Sullivan’s plans regardless of how many people are on IR lol…here are the PP groups today according to Haase…

Top unit: Kris Letang, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Michael Bunting, Rickard Rakell

Second unit: Matt Grzelcyk, Drew O'Connor, Jesse Puljujarvi, Lars Eller, Kevin Hayes

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Well we do know, despite the injuries and the fact that he’s an excellent PP player, that Puustinen is not in Mike Sullivan’s plans regardless of how many people are on IR lol…here are the PP groups today according to Haase…

Top unit: Kris Letang, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Michael Bunting, Rickard Rakell

Second unit: Matt Grzelcyk, Drew O'Connor, Jesse Puljujarvi, Lars Eller, Kevin Hayes
He's been outplayed by Puljujarvi and McGroarty on the wing. Hayes brings versatility and will probably be the fourth line center.

I think he makes the team but not the lineup.

Cuts are coming.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
With Ned and Nieto on LTIR, Lizotte hurt, and assuming Karlsson is OK to start the year, maybe we're looking at the following lineup --

DOC - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
Beauvillier - Eller - Puljujarvi
McGroarty - Hayes - Acciari
Ex - Glass, Puustinen

Pettersson - Karlsson
Grzelcyk - Letang
Graves - St. Ivany
Shea

Jarry
Blomqvist

LTIR - Nedeljkovic, Nieto
IR - Lizotte

Grzelcyk-Letang
Pettersson-St. Ivany
Graves-Brunicke
Shea-Aho

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With Lizotte presumably hurt to start the year, I figure the lines will be this to start:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Beauvillier-Eller-Puljujarvi
McGroarty-Hayes-Acciari
Glass-Puustinen

I'm not entirely sure why they'd keep McGroarty up just to play on L4 with Hayes and Acciari, but it seems like they're planning on doing that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Interesting

Puus is place holding for Beau in lieu of Rust? Or Glass/McG are?
Puusty looks like he’s placeholding for Beau but he shouldn’t be…does Glass really play LW? I like Puusty in for Lizotte better and he should get PP2 time…Glass to me has been vanilla, call him ZAR lite, which is why Sullivan will likely prefer him lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think giving Brunicke a 9 game look if Karlsson is out makes a ton of sense, but I'm not sure I see a spot for him if Karlsson is healthy to start the year. They seem insistent that he'll be ready for the opener, so unless you're sending St. Ivany down, you don't really have a spot for him to get into some NHL games.

That being said, I'm also completely fine with just sending St. Ivany down for a bit to start the year and let Brunicke play those 9 games.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He's been outplayed by Puljujarvi and McGroarty on the wing. Hayes brings versatility and will probably be the fourth line center.

I think he makes the team but not the lineup.

Cuts are coming.

I don’t think they plan to keep McG on the team initially, even if what you say is true…the only bottom six option at wing, as Ive said before, that has stood out to me this preseason so far is PoolParty…

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
With Lizotte presumably hurt to start the year, I figure the lines will be this to start:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Beauvillier-Eller-Puljujarvi
McGroarty-Hayes-Acciari
Glass-Puustinen

I'm not entirely sure why they'd keep McGroarty up just to play on L4 with Hayes and Acciari, but it seems like they're planning on doing that.
I don’t think so…he’s good on the PP, and he wasn’t on it, and he was rotating in with Glass today and they were working him on the PK to get him some experience…I still think he starts in the A…if Lizotte isn’t ready, Glass will play in his place…that’s what it’s looking like

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I struggle with the idea of burning the first year of Brunicke's deal on a team that is going to struggle to qualify for the post-season, but they aren't going to look any better three years from now, so lets just press the fun button as much as we can.

I can't imagine that they'd plan on keeping him up for the year, even if he somehow shows to be NHL caliber immediately. I don't think there are enough minutes on RD between Letang, Karlsson and St. Ivany to justify keeping Brunicke up.

A 9 game look with Karlsson rehabbing from whatever injury he has makes a lot of sense, but beyond that wouldn't be smart.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
I can't imagine that they'd plan on keeping him up for the year, even if he somehow shows to be NHL caliber immediately. I don't think there are enough minutes on RD between Letang, Karlsson and St. Ivany to justify keeping Brunicke up.

A 9 game look with Karlsson rehabbing from whatever injury he has makes a lot of sense, but beyond that wouldn't be smart.

Why St. Ivany over Brunicke? To me, that's inherently the answer to the question.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I struggle with the idea of burning the first year of Brunicke's deal on a team that is going to struggle to qualify for the post-season, but they aren't going to look any better three years from now, so lets just press the fun button as much as we can.
The 9 game threshold is meaningless to me. 9 burns a year on the contract but I think it's like 41 games that burns a year on the UFA clock.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I doubt there is much of a chance that he sticks for the requisite amount of games but... I mean... if he plays like he belongs I will be irritated if they simply gloss that over and send him back anyway because "that's the way it's done." Player development is not one size fits all as you know.

Wait... pardon my ignorance but have the rules changes where a 9 game "tryout" is no longer allowed? Used to be that it had to be 10+ games before the ELC kicked in, yeah?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why St. Ivany over Brunicke? To me, that's inherently the answer to the question.

That's valid, I wouldn't really mind having St. Ivany as the #7 either. Both Letang and Karlsson get injured enough that he'll still be playing in a lot of games as the #7.

Brunicke would need to be a clear step ahead to justify keeping him up IMO, he's been really close to that but I also think St. Ivany has looked good from what I've seen.

The 9 game threshold is meaningless to me. 9 burns a year on the contract but I think it's like 41 games that burns a year on the UFA clock.

Nah you don't want to run into those Sprong issues again where a guy needs more AHL time but needs to clear waivers to go to the AHL. That really gave the Penguins issues when Sprong was waiver eligible at like 21.

Reactions: Sideline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad