GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
How did mcg look live? Apologies if you already shared

People were saying they noticed him , but I didn't see the same things. I thought he looked like a typical bottom 6 guy. I saw no flashes that screamed "this guy has to be in the lineup".

But this game had as much intensity as a shinny hockey game so hard to have any real takeaways. Lots of guys on both teams floating around, trying to not get injured. Blew me away considering the Wings pretty much iced a full strength lineup. I mean Kane, Petry, Larkin, etc were just out there for a skate. If I didn't see the names on the jerseys, I'd say this was an AHL contest save for Graves, who was flat out atrocious.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yea I was at the game last night and focused a ton on Puus bc I really like him. I saw the same...a very weak effort.

At min I think he has a spot on this team's woeful PP, but admittedly am biased.

Yeah it sucks that Puustinen isn't doing anything to make Sullivan reconsider his thoughts on him. I think Sullivan is being dumb with Puustinen but Puustinen isn't doing anything to force Sullivan to change his mind.

Puustinen has absolutely been outplayed by Puljujarvi and McGroarty so far IMO. I'm not 100% on both of them being in the lineup but I have a hard time having Puustinen above either of those two right now. I'm not sure whether Beauvillier can play RW, but I'm coming more around to this bottom-6:

McGroarty-Eller-Beauvillier
Lizotte-Hayes-Puljujarvi

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People were saying they noticed him , but I didn't see the same things. I thought he looked like a typical bottom 6 guy. I saw no flashes that screamed "this guy has to be in the lineup".

But this game had as much intensity as a shinny hockey game so hard to have any real takeaways. Lots of guys on both teams floating around, trying to not get injured. Blew me away considering the Wings pretty much iced a full strength lineup. I mean Kane, Petry, Larkin, etc were just out there for a skate. If I didn't see the names on the jerseys, I'd say this was an AHL contest save for Graves, who was flat out atrocious.

I think what makes me more inclined to put McGroarty in immediately is the fact that he's getting a ton of chances when he's on the ice. I don't think he's standing out talent-wise but the dude is simply in the right spot every time to get a dangerous look offensively or make a play defensively. I think he had like 4 golden chances against the Wings yesterday along with setting up Acciari's goal. He's getting a ton of chances and the Penguins are really dominating play when he's on the ice (72.72% xGF%, 66% GF%, 11-3 HDCF-HDCA).

Going back to Puustinen, it's kinda the opposite with him where the Penguins are just getting smoked when he's on the ice and he's not really doing anything at 5v5 either. 0-3 goal differential, 10.98% xGF% and only 1 shot and 3 shot attempts is....not good, to put it lightly.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I think what makes me more inclined to put McGroarty in immediately is the fact that he's getting a ton of chances when he's on the ice. I don't think he's standing out talent-wise but the dude is simply in the right spot every time to get a dangerous look offensively or make a play defensively. I think he had like 4 golden chances against the Wings yesterday along with setting up Acciari's goal. He's getting a ton of chances and the Penguins are really dominating play when he's on the ice (72.72% xGF%, 66% GF%, 11-3 HDCF-HDCA).

Going back to Puustinen, it's kinda the opposite with him where the Penguins are just getting smoked when he's on the ice and he's not really doing anything at 5v5 either. 0-3 goal differential, 10.98% xGF% and only 1 shot and 3 shot attempts is....not good, to put it lightly.
Someone said that McG's numbers are 6th out of almost 200 pre-season players so far

I didn't even notice Puust after that assist last night and I watched the entire game. I thought he got hurt/benched/Sullied

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
Blomqvist was unreal against NHL Detroit.. Maybe he's like a Fleury, can bounce back from a bad loss but when he's getting shelled it's a wrap
I really like what I saw from Blomqvist last night. He was calm and played the angles well. It's easy for a young goalie to take himself out of a play trying to do too much, but he was right were he needed to be for any 2nd and 3rd opportunities.

That said, when he came out of the net to play the puck... that was a bit clunky.

Overall a solid night for him on which to build.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I really like what I saw from Blomqvist last night. He was calm and played the angles well. It's easy for a young goalie to take himself out of a play trying to do too much, but he was right were he needed to be for any 2nd and 3rd opportunities.

That said, when he came out of the net to play the puck... that was a bit clunky.

Overall a solid night for him on which to build.

I thought his positioning was much better vs his previous action. I'm not concerned about his stickwork as I am about his rebound control. He needs to work on absorbing the puck more so he can either a) cradle it or b) it drops immediately within reach

I saw too many pucks he didn't corral after the initial save and created 2nd chance opportunities. I certainly get it as these are higher levels of shooters he's used to going against. But he needs to clean this up or he's just another Zatkoff.

Reactions: Riggs

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Yeah it sucks that Puustinen isn't doing anything to make Sullivan reconsider his thoughts on him. I think Sullivan is being dumb with Puustinen but Puustinen isn't doing anything to force Sullivan to change his mind.

Puustinen has absolutely been outplayed by Puljujarvi and McGroarty so far IMO. I'm not 100% on both of them being in the lineup but I have a hard time having Puustinen above either of those two right now. I'm not sure whether Beauvillier can play RW, but I'm coming more around to this bottom-6:

McGroarty-Eller-Beauvillier
Lizotte-Hayes-Puljujarvi
Has Beavillier really played well enough that we have to force him into the lineup on his off wing? Just let him eat nachos or send him to WBS if he isn't fitting the lineup.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Karlsson skating again. Maybe enough time for him not to miss the opener.
There goes that imminent surgery rumor.

Or he needs surgery but he and the team have collectively decided to just shrug and hope their way through it. Wouldn't be the first time a high profile player on this team has gone that route.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Has Beavillier really played well enough that we have to force him into the lineup on his off wing? Just let him eat nachos or send him to WBS if he isn't fitting the lineup.
Puustinen hasn’t stood out…but neither has Beau or Glass or Lizotte or Acciari before last night’s game lol…of the bottom six wing options, only PoolParty has stood out…I don’t care who they go with, not interested in Hayes either, but they should consider who is least likely to get claimed and who offers something special when choosing the lineup…Beau and Acciari should be waived imo since Puusty is a good PP player and Glass at least is a RH center and we don’t have another one…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I mean, is the goal to play the best players? Then yes, he does deserve to be in the lineup. Beauvillier has been very good so far.

If Puustinen wants to play above him, he should actually show something on the ice to justify being in the lineup.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not really holding out any hope that any of the bottom-6 guys show anything offensively, tbh. This coach took a 100pt blueliner and tried to make him into Paul Martin--to predictably disastrous results. With the way Sully utilizes bottom-6ers, and the lackluster personnel at hand, it's gonna be another dogshit season from that group more likely than not. Like, I genuinely don't give a shit who the 4th liners are. Throw 'em in a blender and run whatever, probably ain't gonna make a lick of difference. :laugh:
This is why, in general, I'm just down on any new acquisitions. It's not even the acquisition, per se, but the fact we've seen what Sullivan does to neuter anyone who comes here.

Oh cool, we added a guy to the bottom six who had a 20 goal season elsewhere. That should help our depth scoring, right? No, because Sullivan will somehow turn him into a 10 point player.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Puustinen hasn’t stood out…but neither has Beau or Glass or Lizotte or Acciari before last night’s game lol…of the bottom six wing options, only PoolParty has stood out…I don’t care who they go with, not interested in Hayes either, but they should consider who is least likely to get claimed and who offers something special when choosing the lineup…Beau and Acciari should be waived imo since Puusty is a good PP player and Glass at least is a RH center and we don’t have another one…

Beauvillier has like 8 shots in 2 games and got a nice assist on Crosby's goal against the Senators. He has absolutely stood out positively.

Lizotte hasn't even played in a game yet so I don't see how it makes sense to say "he hasn't stood out".

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Someone said that McG's numbers are 6th out of almost 200 pre-season players so far

I didn't even notice Puust after that assist last night and I watched the entire game. I thought he got hurt/benched/Sullied

Yeah he was completely invisible, finished with 0 shots and 0 shot attempts at 5v5. That PP assist on O'Connor's goal was really nice but the dude was a ghost outside of that. Really not making any case for Sullivan to reconsider how he views Puustinen.

• Wow
Reactions: steelcityassault

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean, is the goal to play the best players? Then yes, he does deserve to be in the lineup. Beauvillier has been very good so far.

If Puustinen wants to play above him, he should actually show something on the ice to justify being in the lineup.

I'm not really sure Beauvillier has been really good so far. He's been on the ice for 0 goals for and against and his shot shares are decent, but like.. we know how that goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad