GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't be shocked if Geno plays one more year after his current contract.
I expect it actually, if he feels good after the next season, I think they'll bring him back at half his current cap hit for 1yr.

Personally, I'd be thrilled to see him come back for 1 more year to retire with Sid, I don't know, everything about that would be special, we never got to see Mario & Jagr retire together or any legends retire like that, to see it for the Penguins might be the literal bright spot we have left to look forward to.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I don't know, if he was going to do it, I think he would have done it already when the team was jerking him around about signing and before they got sanctioned to hell.
See a lot of blokes think Geno would go to the KHL instead of play 1 more year after his current contract is up. I think if he's feeling good, he'll take a lot less to just stay and retire together, because Geno, while not absurdly superstitious like Sid, is very sentimental and I think for him the idea of "us two, retire together" is something he probably is thinking about.

Also given Nikita's age, I wonder if Geno just stays in Florida where he summers a lot, to give his kid a good shot at some good hockey programs because he's a pretty good little player himself. I think that's where I feel Geno will split his time like he already does, maybe if he goes back to play, sure whatever, but given the current situation, I think he might just call it a career and spend time being a Dad to a budding little Geno - Of whom we need to have the best developmental path possible to save us from the dark years of Sullivan Year 20.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, I don't write off the possibility of Geno going back to the Old Country in some weird scheme like Jágr is doing at Kladno. I just don't think he'll go to Russia after this contract is up unless he's like absolutely cooked at the NHL level or there's some insane dumb beef with the front office.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, I don't write off the possibility of Geno going back to the Old Country in some weird scheme like Jágr is doing at Kladno. I just don't think he'll go to Russia after this contract is up unless he's like absolutely cooked at the NHL level or there's some insane dumb beef with the front office.
Geno's little one is a natural, I remember this clip of Letang's kid and Geno's kid playing around and Nikita looks like a shrunken down Geno.

It's what makes me curious about if Geno wants to leave and put his little one in a program back in Russia like what he grew up in or he wants to give his little one a shot at the US programs.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't know, if he was going to do it, I think he would have done it already when the team was jerking him around about signing and before they got sanctioned to hell.
He very nearly did. Sid talked him off the edge. He's here out of loyalty for Sid at this point, pretty much.
Malkin has said it himself. Don't remember the exact words, but it was like "maybe last few years in Russia" when asked about how he sees the rest of his career going. It was from last season.

If his wife was American, I could see a timeline where he adjusts to her and stays. But I think they both miss home and want to raise their son there when this ends.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I could definitely see Malkin going to play in Russia, but not until he's no longer a viable top 6 player in the NHL.

Despite the dummies who think he sucks because he's not as good as he was a decade ago, he's still a damn good 2C.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
May it be that I am wrong, but I thought last year Malkin showed a little too much "patience." The guy isn't 29 anymore and my biggest gripe with Geno is that he still refuses to make the simple play instead of trying the 29- or 24-year-old Malkin play. Those days are over, use your teammates and hockey smarts and set yourself up to make a play rather than trying to make a play yourself by yourself with your "patience."

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'd like to see Geno (and the whole team) have a little less patience on the PP.

Other than that, just keep doing what you're doing, Geno. With the same PP stats as he had the year prior (which was still just an OK PP, not a great PP), he would have had over 30 goals and over a point/game at age 37.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'll agree that Malkin should be LESS conservative this year if he wants to put more than like 20+30 up but he should also choose his spots to do so. I also fully believe he's been told by the staff to "tone it down." You saw that change last season. Which I actually think there is SOME merit to that but you don't want to take away ALL of the things that have made him the player he is throughout his career.

Honestly even if I don't put any stock into a preseason game against a rather so-so opponent the thing that encouraged me maybe the most is what a shark he was on takeaways last night and transitioning that immediately the other way. I feel like dude had like 5 or 6 takeaways in that game including his hatty goal.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Interesting that they’d rather keep Broz at center and try Pono on wing….also the Wings are playing their entire slate of NHL players now in this one lol

Not surprising to be honest, the Wings are playing 2 games tonight and makes the most sense to send the rookies out on the road and keep the veterans for the home game.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lizotte getting hurt along with that McGroarty-Acciari-Puljujarvi line does make me raise my eyebrows a bit tbh. I doubt it means anything but that could be something they run with if Lizotte is out for a while.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'll agree that Malkin should be LESS conservative this year if he wants to put more than like 20+30 up but he should also choose his spots to do so. I also fully believe he's been told by the staff to "tone it down." You saw that change last season. Which I actually think there is SOME merit to that but you don't want to take away ALL of the things that have made him the player he is throughout his career.

Honestly even if I don't put any stock into a preseason game against a rather so-so opponent the thing that encouraged me maybe the most is what a shark he was on takeaways last night and transitioning that immediately the other way. I feel like dude had like 5 or 6 takeaways in that game including his hatty goal.
Bunting's availability and usage on PP1 will strongly influence Malkin's totals. He could be our best winger this year if Rust regresses.
Rakell doesn't work with Geno if Bunting isn't there. And PP1 needs him too.
Even yesterday 4 shots, 2 of which were very dangerous and well placed.

Very good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad