GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I dunno. He said in an interview this summer he wants to play as long as he can.

I'm not convinced the Penguins miss the playoffs this year. Wouldn't surprise me, but the Metro and East in general blows ass compared to last year.
I have the Pens missing but it wouldn't surprise me if they make it.

As shit a job as Sully has done the Pens had enough talent to get in the past two years and with a bit better finishing luck they would have. I guess you could say a lot of bubble teams could make that claim though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I have the Pens missing but it wouldn't surprise me if they make it.

As shit a job as Sully has done the Pens had enough talent to get in the past two years and with a bit better finishing luck they would have. I guess you could say a lot of bubble teams could make that claim though.

The only lock in the Metro for me is the Rangers.

The only lock in the Atlantic for me are Florida.

Everything else is fair game. Toronto's D is a joke. Tampa lost Sergachev and Stamkos. Boston is older and doesn't have a starting goaltender with Swayman holding out. Carolina lost Tuevo, Skeji, Guentzel and Pesce and replaced the D with Ghost and Walker and did nothing up front besides add Roslo. Devils are the Devils.

I just see a lot of teams that were above us got worse and I don't think any of the Sabres, Sens, or Wings did enough this off season to catapult themselves above us.

Reactions: Pancakes

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Half the teams in the league make it. It's not hard, nor is it some kinda accomplishment to make the playoffs. :laugh: The East is pretty much terrible outside of a select few teams at the top so it's a fight to see which shit rises to the top of the septic tank for the rest of 'em.

But they've got no Jake, their bottom-6 is still shit, they still have Sully, and they'll still have a "starter" that collapses from like January 15th onward. So who knows?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Half the teams in the league make it. It's not hard, nor is it some kinda accomplishment to make the playoffs. :laugh: The East is pretty much terrible outside of a select few teams at the top so it's a fight to see which shit rises to the top of the septic tank for the rest of 'em.

But they've got no Jake, their bottom-6 is still shit, they still have Sully, and they'll still have a "starter" that collapses from like January 15th onward. So who knows?

I think the big thing here is Sullivan has lost his faith in Jarry which makes me think he'll go to Ned a lot quicker this year.

That probably makes the playoffs for us.

Also, even if the powerplay is bad, I don't see it finishing 30th in the league again.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Everything else is fair game. Toronto's D is a joke. Tampa lost Sergachev and Stamkos. Boston is older and doesn't have a starting goaltender with Swayman holding out. Carolina lost Tuevo, Skeji, Guentzel and Pesce and replaced the D with Ghost and Walker and did nothing up front besides add Roslo. Devils are the Devils.

I just see a lot of teams that were above us got worse and I don't think any of the Sabres, Sens, or Wings did enough this off season to catapult themselves above us.
The Devils are interesting to me. Like they were really bad this last year. They did get a goalie (an old one) and they have a better coach. And they may be healthier. Perhaps that's enough? But I feel like people are making a huge leap in saying they're gonna be this elite team again. They were worse than the friggin Pens :laugh:

I think there's a good chance the Devils rebound and end up a playoff team but the way people are just penciling them in there is surprising to me.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If the Devils can stay healthy I wouldn't be surprised if they won the East tbh. Lotta talent there, and Ruff's not around anymore to Sullivan things.

But they have a buncha guys who are like as not to end up on the shelf for weeks/months.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The Devils are interesting to me. Like they were really bad this last year. They did get a goalie (an old one) and they have a better coach. And they may be healthier. Perhaps that's enough? But I feel like people are making a huge leap in saying they're gonna be this elite team again. They were worse than the friggin Pens :laugh:

I think there's a good chance the Devils rebound and end up a playoff team but the way people are just penciling them in there is surprising to me.

Yeah, I'm not sold on them either.

I also think people forget how bad Markstrom was a few seasons ago.

Not to mention they are already getting hit with injuries.

If the Devils can stay healthy I wouldn't be surprised if they won the East tbh. Lotta talent there, and Ruff's not around anymore to Sullivan things.

But they have a buncha guys who are like as not to end up on the shelf for weeks/months.

It's not like Keefe is a good coach. Dude got completely destroyed in every playoff series he's been in.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sully will overplay Sid, underuse youth and this team will once again fall completely apart in February/March.

The only hope for fun is for Sully to fired in an embarrassing manner, but the beantown mafia sticks together to destroy Pittsburgh sports scene.

Reactions: Andy99

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

It's not like Keefe is a good coach. Dude got completely destroyed in every playoff series he's been in.

You can say it’s cause Marino is gone. We won’t make fun of you.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

After the Rangers and Canes who I think are locks I probably trust the Islanders the most for two reasons:

1) They have Sorokin

2) They're annoyingly f-ing good at grinding out points. They're not a good team, but they will grind their way into lots of OT losses. Those extra points add up. Where the Pens and other Metro teams will be losing games in regulation the Isles will find a way to squeeze out extra points out of some of those losses.

Flyers don't have much talent so I doubt they'll be good unless Michkov has an incredible year. He does look very good but I don't think it will be enough.

Jackets will be bad.

Caps had a great off season but they sucked ass this year. I know they made the playoffs but that was one of the worst playoff teams I've ever seen in the modern era. Hugely negative goal differential and just bad. I'm not sure the off season additions they made will be enough to vault them into being actually good. They might be a better team than last year and miss simply because they were lucky to make it last year.

And then there's the Pens who look like much the same team as last year but what they had last year was good enough to make the playoffs provided they got a bit more finishing luck. Perhaps that happens this year or perhaps not.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
After the Rangers and Canes who I think are locks I probably trust the Islanders the most for two reasons:

1) They have Sorokin

2) They're annoyingly f-ing good at grinding out points. They're not a good team, but they will grind their way into lots of OT losses. Those extra points add up. Where the Pens and other Metro teams will be losing games in regulation the Isles will find a way to squeeze out extra points out of some of those losses.

Flyers don't have much talent so I doubt they'll be good unless Michkov has an incredible year. He does look very good but I don't think it will be enough.

Jackets will be bad.

Caps had a great off season but they sucked ass this year. I know they made the playoffs but that was one of the worst playoff teams I've ever seen in the modern era. Hugely negative goal differential and just bad. I'm not sure the off season additions they made will be enough to vault them into being actually good. They might be a better team than last year and miss simply because they were lucky to make it last year.

And then there's the Pens who look like much the same team as last year but what they had last year was good enough to make the playoffs provided they got a bit more finishing luck. Perhaps that happens this year or perhaps not.

Sorokin had back surgery. Not sure he'll be healthy for them to start.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sorokin had back surgery. Not sure he'll be healthy for them to start.
I thought he was expected to start the season for them despite that?

I suppose if the surgery hinders him that could spell doom for the Isles. But if he's healthy and ready to go they'll be in the mix again.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024

1) They have Sorokin

This is so annoyingly true.

They always finish with like 12-15 OTL's.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

As always, I don't think we're really in a position that other teams are beating us out, it's that we're losing what should be enough easily winnable points to not make it. We've missed the playoffs by the thinnest of margins for two years in a row, and again, not because other teams were vastly better, but because we couldn't make the necessary adjustments to score one more power play goal or, even better, simply just not lose a winnable OT.

The only one who's going to keep us from the playoffs is ourselves, and by golly, knowing us, we're gonna try real hard to keep on missing them!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad