GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I haven’t watched Yager in Jets camp. But McG’s play style so far makes me glad we swapped them.

I really think it’s important to generate scoring chances from those high danger areas and seems Groates can do that. I would take that before a perimeter player regardless of shot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah the games so far reaffirm that McGroarty is NHL ready right now, but would benefit from starting in the AHL for a bit just to get adjusted to the system and pro pace of play. I don't think he'll be in the AHL for that long, I'd bet he's up by December with how he looks out here.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah the games so far reaffirm that McGroarty is NHL ready right now, but would benefit from starting in the AHL for a bit just to get adjusted to the system and pro pace of play. I don't think he'll be in the AHL for that long, I'd bet he's up by December with how he looks out here.
Yeah, he’s definitely going to be a NHL player, at least a third-liner. How good of one remains to be seen…I have doubts he’s going to be Matthew Tkuchuk lol

Reactions: steelcityassault

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Preseason games are pretty meaningless for deciding on a rookie is ready. Young guys are going all out to earn a spot, but 70% or 80% of the guys they will be competing with in the NHL are going at scrimmage pace. McGroarty is doing well enough to be worth an extended look, but I need to see him on October 25th, before I decide if I think he's worth a year in the NHL.

Reactions: Andy99

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
This is my first time seeing this dataviz format. Two questions on how to interpret it:

* Are we to interpret (offense/defense) above average bars that span negative number as being below average?

* What do the numbers represent? Initially I thought they might track standard deviations of the mean, but I would expect three standard deviations, not four.
I’m not sure about the first part, but it aims to roughly measure a players single game productivity. I believe they’re trying to scale those numbers to NHL scoring I.e. a 2 point game is very good production.

This article has a much more in depth explanation if you’re interested.

Reactions: mrzeigler

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Malkin to wing will never make sense.

You don't take a player whose game is entirely built on distribution and IQ with no speed and play them at wing.
when they can't get back to play defense in sully's system you do. and you would still need a coach that would tweak the system a bit to get the most out of geno.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That third line should, at most, only be 2 of those 3. Add DOC or Beau and it'll be better.

I think it was you who said "run two 3rd lines" which is hopefully what' they'll do.

Yeah with McGroarty up later in the year, I'm hoping they're running with:

McGroarty-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Hayes-Beauvillier
Lizotte-Eller-Puustinen

In the short term I think you just go with:

Beauviller-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Hayes-Puustinen
Lizotte-Eller-Glass/Puljujarvi

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Where is this "narrative" that Malkin needs to switch to wing? All I'm seeing is people arguing against it, not anyone who actually made the initial claim :laugh:

I didn't see the original either but comments seem to indicate it was typical pens rage bait so likely some douche canoe most folk have blocked anyway.

Most of the complaints typically come from folk who want to compare 38 year old Malkin with 28 year old Malkin as opposed to 6.1 AAV 2c Malkin with other comparables.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I didn't see the original either but comments seem to indicate it was typical pens rage bait so likely some douche canoe most folk have blocked anyway.

Most of the complaints typically come from folk who want to compare 38 year old Malkin with 28 year old Malkin as opposed to 6.1 AAV 2c Malkin with other comparables.

The genius plan to move Malkin to wing has been around forever. Though it's of course a minority opinion. Seemingly it's been a lot more of a thing again, lately. I actually get it to some small degree but he's never looked good at wing, it would be a questionable idea in Sullivan's system and there isn't anywhere near the player on this team that makes it feasible anyway.

What... we want Geno with like Lars Eller or Hayes or something? Does that seem smart?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad