GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They're gonna end up trading him to a Western team for a low round pick instead of waiving him, I have a weird feeling about this. I thought he's looked good in camp so far but it's a numbers game

I doubt it. They will waive him, he'll go and out produce Lizotte and Acciari in some other market and this forum will say "well we gave him a chance and he doesn't PK"

My dream scenario; The planets align, the 87th winter solstice of this cycle hits, c-beams continue to glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate, it all comes together and we find a way to win the cup this year. We then suffer from a massive cup hangover and bottom out the following season; Win the draft lottery, draft McKenna 1OA. He proceeds to carry Sid off into the sunset his final few years like the child does to his mother at the end of that book "Love you forever". After seeing 7 cups in my life-time, I can finally die an old lady, an old lady warm in her bed.

It could happen... I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

1727196612372.png

Reactions: lokomotiv15

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don’t have a problem playing the NHL Cs with NHLers, I’d just like to see Poulin up with Lizotte for Acciari.

Idk, at least we got McGroarty getting a real chance (on paper).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Again, who are they going to waive Poulin for? Who's making the team as a 14th forward over Poulin that's going to make Poulin hit waivers?

The only competition for the extra forward spots are Puustinen, Poulin, Puljujarvi and Bemstrom, unless McGroarty makes the team.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Idc if they waive Poulin, I just want to see him play his way onto waivers.

A tad frustrating that it seems to be predetermined he is a nothing burger. He was a first round pick, usually you bend over backwards a little for those guys.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Idc if they waive Poulin, I just want to see him play his way onto waivers.

A tad frustrating that it seems to be predetermined he is a nothing burger. He was a first round pick, usually you bend over backwards a little for those guys.
And usually the bumper on the PP is a critical component of scoring a lot of goals, but we're the Penguins. We do things differently (stupidly).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thanks Mike.

Just answer the question. Who's making the team over Poulin that's putting Poulin on waivers?

Have to think Pemstrom is the first to be waived.

I'd much prefer losing Poulin over Puljujarvi.

I'd rather waive Puljujarvi because I think Poulin is a bit more likely to be claimed than Puljujarvi, even though I think both are pretty unlikely to be claimed.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd rather waive Puljujarvi because I think Poulin is a bit more likely to be claimed than Puljujarvi, even though I think both are pretty unlikely to be claimed.
I'd guess the opposite because this is the NHL and a lot of GMs probably go with familiarity (ie. known quantity) in Puljujarvi over a mystery box in Poulin, especially since Poulin's body of work at the NHL level is incredibly low. Other teams probably have a bunch of Poulin's in their organization (ie. mid prospects who may or may not be a NHLer) but anyone picking up off waivers probably needs a Pulju to fill a role.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah if they lose Poulin it's kind of a masterclass in how NOT to develop a prospect.

He didn't turn out exactly as I hoped and the team couldn't do anything about him losing a year of development due to whatever it was he was going through. But it would still be a pretty big failure. Even within context of the general failure the Penguins drafting, development and delivery of NHL prospects has been over the years.
I don't think Poulin's development path is on JR, Hextall, Dubas, Sullivan, etc. He had an okay finish to his QMJHL career, had a meh AHL season, and then in 22-23, he took several months off for mental health reasons. Then he was hurt a lot last year. 6 NHL games total, 1 point. It's been a rough go for him and I do think there's time for him to get back on track and be a decent bottom 6 player but I certainly don't blame anyone in the Penguins organization.

I mean, I guess you could make the argument that we could have waived Harkins and brought Poulin up but, again with the injuries, it's a crappy argument at best. Honestly, he's just never looked all that great as a prospect.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd guess the opposite because this is the NHL and a lot of GMs probably go with familiarity (ie. known quantity) in Puljujarvi over a mystery box in Poulin, especially since Poulin's body of work at the NHL level is incredibly low. Other teams probably have a bunch of Poulin's in their organization (ie. mid prospects who may or may not be a NHLer) but anyone picking up off waivers probably needs a Pulju to fill a role.

Yeah I can definitely see this side as well, both are more unlikely to be claimed IMO but there's a reason for someone to claim them.

Unless McGroarty makes the NHL team, I think only one of them will have to be waived. That being said, McGroarty making the team isn't something that I'm necessarily ruling out either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speaking of an idea that was discussed a few days ago (O’Connor ending up on L4), I’d actually be moderately intrigued if they set up the bottom-6 as two equal lines rather than a 3rd and 4th line. I think they have the players to do it, it’s just a question of whether they actually would run with it.

You could set up the bottom-6 as:

O’Connor-Lizotte-Hayes
McGroarty-Eller-Puustinen

And run with them as a 3A and 3B line or something like that. I obviously don’t think they’d do this because it’s Mike Sullivan we’re talking about, but I actually like the layout of this bottom-6. I’d flip Hayes and Lizotte but I’m not sure Lizotte has experience on RW.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think Poulin's development path is on JR, Hextall, Dubas, Sullivan, etc. He had an okay finish to his QMJHL career, had a meh AHL season, and then in 22-23, he took several months off for mental health reasons. Then he was hurt a lot last year. 6 NHL games total, 1 point. It's been a rough go for him and I do think there's time for him to get back on track and be a decent bottom 6 player but I certainly don't blame anyone in the Penguins organization.

I mean, I guess you could make the argument that we could have waived Harkins and brought Poulin up but, again with the injuries, it's a crappy argument at best. Honestly, he's just never looked all that great as a prospect.

Like I said he hasn't been what I had hoped and much of that isn't on the Penguins. But I think at the very least there could have been more energy put into getting a better read on him last season especially at the NHL level since they knew they had a waiver deadline coming up with him. I don't think he's going to be a top six player ever but I don't see what harm putting him on last year's bottom six every opportunity they could would have done.

Reactions: Gurglesons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Based on tonight's line combinations, it looks like they're not even bothering to give him a shot with some talent to see what they have with him.

Why are Hayes or Lizotte with our best wingers? It's pre-season, they know what those two have. Why not play Poulin with a couple of our better vets and see if he can look good in a more offensive role?

Terrible development of this kid.
They know what they have individually at the NHL level. They don't know what the chemistry will be with these lines. Hayes and Lizotte are new here.
Training camp is meant to build line chemistry too. They get maybe 2-3 games together max before the opener.

Poulin is low prio for this coaching staff. Maybe if he was a shutdown guy who PK's things would be different. But if they just want a skill guy in the bottom-six, they got a better one in Puustinen.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
You could set up the bottom-6 as:

O’Connor-Lizotte-Hayes
McGroarty-Eller-Puustinen

And run with them as a 3A and 3B line or something like that. I obviously don’t think they’d do this because it’s Mike Sullivan we’re talking about, but I actually like the layout of this bottom-6. I’d flip Hayes and Lizotte but I’m not sure Lizotte has experience on RW.

DOC can also do RW.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
And usually the bumper on the PP is a critical component of scoring a lot of goals, but we're the Penguins. We do things differently (stupidly).
Unless you have a diff source they do play a bumper a decent bit if you youtube up the PP last year. They’d flow into a 1-3-1 look

Or failure

I think PP issues were more looking for perfect play and lack of movement.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They know what they have individually at the NHL level. They don't know what the chemistry will be with these lines. Hayes and Lizotte are new here.
Training camp is meant to build line chemistry too. They get maybe 2-3 games together max before the opener.

Poulin is low prio for this coaching staff. Maybe if he was a shutdown guy who PK's things would be different. But if they just want a skill guy in the bottom-six, they got a better one in Puustinen.
Which is why I said they're basically writing him off. Because if they wanted to see what they have in him, they'd play him with better players in the pre-season to see if he can perform.

The role they're using him in pre-season all but says they don't see him in their plans.

Reactions: Gurglesons

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
true they both only got 90k signing bonuses. which is like 20 bucks after inflation and Canada taxes :laugh:
My buddy went out and bought a brand new Audi S4 with his first year signing bonus. Government turned his 90K into 50K and then VW Group turned his 50K into about 25K all within a week. :facepalm: For a car I'd never want to drive in Minnesotan winters, Quattro be damned.

• Haha
Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The best thing for long term development for any player on the Pittsburgh Penguins is to be traded.

I can't think of a team that has handled development worse since around 2019.
I'd say it goes back further in his tenure with a lot of luck with how some of them found a way under a dipshit coach.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
My buddy went out and bought a brand new Audi S4 with his first year signing bonus. Government turned his 90K into 50K and then VW Group turned his 50K into about 25K all within a week. :facepalm: For a car I'd never want to drive in Minnesotan winters, Quattro be damned.
dude paid cash?

Yeah at least go RS line if you’re gonna blow that $ on an Audi :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
What year was that? That bloke isn't getting an S4 for 25k unless it's used with high mileage. Otherwise after taxes that's closer to 60-65k.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad