GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
lol at Acciari’s skating being an asset

Eye test and tracking say otherwise: NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Skaters

check prior years in other cities on the wing too. Below average skater in every measurable way.

The entire thing he was billed at when he was signed was a strong forechecking winger. That's why him playing at center made no sense for the Penguins, he can't use that forechecking talent playing center for the Penguins because of how Sullivan's system utilizes centers.

I may have been incorrect to call him a "speedy, forechecking winger", but his main skillset is definitely his forechecking ability that should be more evident with him on the wing than him at center.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not saying Acciari is a speedster but Sullivan's system DOES seem to slow guys down. Particularly down the middle. Or at least it makes processing the game more complicated so like... guys are effectively PLAYING slow. Someone who is better at breaking mechanics of systems down could explain it far better than I could. But I have consistently noticed players looking slower, here.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The entire thing he was billed at when he was signed was a strong forechecking winger. That's why him playing at center made no sense for the Penguins, he can't use that forechecking talent playing center for the Penguins because of how Sullivan's system utilizes centers.

I may have been incorrect to call him a "speedy, forechecking winger", but his main skillset is definitely his forechecking ability that should be more evident with him on the wing than him at center.
Dude has no place on this team. The 4th line with him and Hayes and Lizotte will be a 7M $ line, and it won’t be good.

They’re over complicating the bottom 6:

- Hayes should play as an offensively inclined C

- Eller as a defensively inclined C

- Split Lizotte and OC. Each C gets a faster wing.

- Split Puus and Glass. Each C gets a skilled wing.

Hayes, Eller, OC, Lizotte can all PK, along with Rust. Poolparty is faster and bigger as a reserve F, and cheaper, and can also PK.

I simply don’t see a spot for Acciari. I feel like that shouldn’t be a hot take either after 7 points in 55 games. Why does he deserve a jersey over Puus? I don’t even think he’s a better forechecker at this point; Puustinen was solid in that regard last season.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
The really worrisome thing I'm seeing with these lines is that it almost makes me think Puustinen is WBS bound, based on seeing things like this:

That third unit is 100% a WBS PP unit. Not only that, but he's also on a line with pure AHL guys in Hayes and Koppanen. They'd be making a massive mistake by waiving Puustinen to try to send him to WBS, it would be a moronic decision.
Are you there/seeing any video or posts on what type of PP system they are running? I swear on that PP goal in the Buffalo game I saw a semblance of a 1-3-1 forming right before it happened, but then the next one it was more of a scrambled box+1 that turned into an overload.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'm not saying Acciari is a speedster but Sullivan's system DOES seem to slow guys down. Particularly down the middle. Or at least it makes processing the game more complicated so like... guys are effectively PLAYING slow. Someone who is better at breaking mechanics of systems down could explain it far better than I could. But I have consistently noticed players looking slower, here.
He was below average in every skating category in Florida and Toronto as well.

Listen I’d love for the guy to be an animal as a W but I think he should be a reserve F/ AHL call up. Makes no sense to bench the F with 20 p in 50 games (despite a low shooting %) for Acciari on a “what have you done for me lately” basis.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

From what I've noticed, Sullivan's system always has centers up high on the forecheck so they can get back quickly and help defensively in case the puck gets turned over. For someone like Acciari, who's main skillset is his physical work along the boards, that pretty much neuters him. You can easily tell this with their top-6 lines as well, you never see Crosby or Malkin as the first forecheckers.

Sullivan's system requires strong forechecking wingers who also skate well and smart IQ centers who can skate well enough to help defensively. Acciari may not have the skating to fit that well as a winger, but I'm positive he's a worse fit at center than he is at winger in this system. I'm concerned the same thing is going to happen to Lizotte as well, I really think the 4th line should be Lizotte-Hayes-Acciari if they're going with that trio.

Dude has no place on this team. The 4th line with him and Hayes and Lizotte will be a 7M $ line, and it won’t be good.

They’re over complicating the bottom 6:

- Hayes should play as an offensively inclined C

- Eller as a defensively inclined C

- Split Lizotte and OC. Each C gets a faster wing.

- Split Puus and Glass. Each C gets a skilled wing.

Hayes, Eller, OC, Lizotte can all PK, along with Rust. Poolparty is faster and bigger as a reserve F, and cheaper, and can also PK.

I simply don’t see a spot for Acciari. I feel like that shouldn’t be a hot take either after 7 points in 55 games. Why does he deserve a jersey over Puus? I don’t even think he’s a better forechecker at this point; Puustinen was solid in that regard last season.

I'm not arguing any of that, I'm pointing out that him playing at center in Sullivan's system is completely misusing him and is going to make him look useless. That doesn't mean he should play, but his awful performance last year wasn't just "Accari stinks".

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Quinn gon work his magic, ya'll.

Dude is eminently qualified to fix a powerplay. He's well known for it. "David Quinn" is the watchword among league insiders when it comes to powerplay gurus.

This is most certainly why he got the job. Of course. Only serious hires here on an FSG team.

Reactions: Gurglesons

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Still no net front on the PP and taking weak shots 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_4008.png
    IMG_4008.png
    898 KB · Views: 1

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's kind of funny to hear from so many people how "this year was going to be different", that "Mike Sullivan actually has young players with talent and that means he'll give them a chance", and "competition is going to build out this roster in the bottom six with so many high potential pieces in camp".

And then see Beauvillier on L1. Hayes and Glass on L3 and L4 being what everyone knew it would be Lizotte + Acciari with a spot for whoever plays the most boring defensive game.

Still no net front on the PP and taking weak shots 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 908946View attachment 908946

They took Bunting off the top unit. This coaching staff is honestly hilarious.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I dont think ive read Poulins name a single time since camp started? not anything good, or bad, just invisible man stuff.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
But seriously how do you not put your like... only real net guy on the top unit? For the sake of Rust/Raks? Especially Raks? Real genius stuff, there.

Very predictable that the team just shrugs about what was by far their most glaringly dysfunctional aspect of the team last year. I mean... besides the coaching staff.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Best guess at lines based on camp today:

Beau-Sid-Rust
Bunt-Geno-Rakes
DOC-Eller-Glass
Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari

I have a tough time seeing Hayes on the third line and DOC on the fourth.

Guess Puljujarvi and Puustinen are the extras. That's one top 6 fill in and one bottom 6 fill in. That bottom 6 has 6 centers so...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The powerplay being dogshit again this year is just going to support the “the PP is Mike Sullivan’s fault too” theory. Quinn is just gonna be the tall guy for it,

lol so true.

We knew that, though. When they hired Quinn it was Sullivan being like "Yeah well I run it anyway so you're just gonna hire my friend. He's a Boston guy, too. So I know you're cool with it."

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
The powerplay being dogshit again this year is just going to support the “the PP is Mike Sullivan’s fault too” theory. Quinn is just gonna be the tall guy for it,
Which is dumb, cause Reirden was 6'5", Quinn will never measure up to that and is shorter than Sully. More silly management decisions.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'm not arguing any of that, I'm pointing out that him playing at center in Sullivan's system is completely misusing him and is going to make him look useless. That doesn't mean he should play, but his awful performance last year wasn't just "Accari stinks".
I think there is a lot of noise about Sullivan on here that’s pretty stupid but this is what frustrates me to no end. We’ve iced horrid 4th lines and bottom 6es for a couple years now for no reason other than “this dude is established”.

We won 2 cups with a 4C that scored 30 points and a 4th line that was effective offensively.

Now it seems like we roll 3 vets out to get caved in and provide zero offense. I was wrong for hoping Carters retirement and Nieto’s injury could provide some change.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Best guess at lines based on camp today:

Beau-Sid-Rust
Bunt-Geno-Rakes
DOC-Eller-Glass
Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari

I have a tough time seeing Hayes on the third line and DOC on the fourth.

Guess Puljujarvi and Puustinen are the extras. That's one top 6 fill in and one bottom 6 fill in. That bottom 6 has 6 centers so...
Called it earlier this summer.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Some additional observations from reporters:

And from Taylor Haase:

Mike Sullivan on what can be read into in the power-play work today, the first day they’ve worked on it: “Nothing.”

• Haha
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I dont think ive read Poulins name a single time since camp started? not anything good, or bad, just invisible man stuff.

Kelsey Surmacz who is as close we get to Danny + Taylor said he looked solid in camp.

Some additional observations from reporters:

And from Taylor Haase:

Mike Sullivan on what can be read into in the power-play work today, the first day they’ve worked on it: “Nothing.”

Well that's because Mike Sullivan's investment in the PP is "nothing".

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

How can people not be utterly sick of this guy?

So sorry for asking what should be logical questions, Mike. This IS the time of year where teams generally work on things that they are going to... you know... use in-season.

Cool that they are just f***ing around, though. About what I expected. IF I believed that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad