GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No, the typical narrative here would be - "Oh he only did well there because he was given minutes he'd never get here, I don't think he's good at all" which is proving the exact point of playing a talented player in a position to succeed. The issue here is you draft, develop, then use these players when they show the ability to succeed and look like they can with better usage, as @AuroraBorealis pointed out as well - point production wise, his stats are far more impressive than Drew O'Connor and yet blokes here seem enamoured with him when he barely does ok with the usage he got and gets praised like it's some insane break out year for him when it really isn't.

He's not a dime a dozen player at all, teams don't have a bunch of players like him, maybe some might have a player in that kind of situation, sure, we literally talked about one to death that Toronto just finally signed that Dubas drafted, the irony there was blokes here wanted to trade for him as well.

For Puustinen's sake I hope he is claimed on waivers and a coach gives him the chances a stupid f*** like Sullivan refused to even when Puustinen proved he belonged.

I've done it several times, as has @AuroraBorealis - So instead of being ignorant about it, use the f***ing search feature.
The problem with this comparison is that DOC and Puustinen are very different players with different skills who play the game differently. But there's a reason DOC got the bump to line 1 and Puustinen settled in on the 3rd line in the later part of the season. DOC is fast, forechecks hard, and can lay a hit. Puustinen has decent speed and a lethal shot...when he can get into the position to do it as Emp pointed out. It's silly to compare the two but I think we've seen over time that a guy like DOC will last longer than a guy like Puustinen, especially given the biases of our coaching staff. I think one of Puustinen's biggest shortcomings is a lack of battle and physicality. I think that is what will ultimately hold him back. Now, in a vacuum, that's okay because that's not his game. He does find other ways to contribute, but when you're building out a roster, it's very easy not to insert him in favor of others. Moreover, I think it only makes sense to put him in a top 6 role, but again, there are others ahead of him that I would put there (that could change as the season wears on).

Puustinen's biggest opportunity to solidify his spot in the lineup is right at the beginning of the season when they send McGroarty, Pono, Broz, Koivunen, etc back to WBS. If he can get in on the 3rd line and pump a few in, it might be hard to take him out.
Pens are really playing Broz consistently at center…he really is a center but I’d love it if the could check him out on wing with Sid or G…he’s legit good and if he can get his wicked shot off against NHL players, he could play in the top six this year where we desperately need shooting talent…

lol…DK on his podcast this am says Dubas legit loves Sullivan and believes in him
I always thought he was more of a wing, but being that we traded our best center for a high-end LW, I don't hate the idea of guys like Poulin and Broz being pushed to center.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sid-Rust-Beau dominated pretty much every shift. Sid looked like Sid, all I can say. Still did his patened move where he gets the puck on the right side and glides behind the net and makes a play on the backhand.

Rutger-DOC-Poulin looked good. They definitely pushed the play towards the net and crashed. Rutger whiffed a couple chances in front for some garbage goals, but always seemed to anticipate where the puck would end up for rebounds/scrums.

A little note for us older guys who played during the 90s, Koiv and Pono both wear skates where the heels are white...shades of Fedorov/Gretzky. Both guys are flying.

Watching team 2 (Geno/Tang)practice now. Geno is coasting and looks so disinterested lol.
Based on his college stats, I'm not expecting McGroarty to be much of a goal scorer at this level.
He's gonna have to play with 1 or 2 good shooters.

Appreciate the updates btw. It sucks having to wait until the games to see these guys.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Based on his college stats, I'm not expecting McGroarty to be much of a goal scorer at this level.
He's gonna have to play with 1 or 2 good shooters.

Appreciate the updates btw. It sucks having to wait until the games to see these guys.

McGroarty was a better goal scorer in college than Guentzel was.

Another example of why just stat watching rather than actually looking into the strengths/weaknesses of a player doesn't paint the full picture.

Reactions: SEALBound

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Too early to tell. The scrimmages and practices aren't broadcasted. Only people who've seen him properly are those attending.
I think his first pre-season game will be the 29th.

I'm looking at linemate quality and shot percentage regression from last year, when projecting why he'll have worse stats.
O'Connor is no Guentzel and Rust will be very hard pressed to be that good again. Letang was also tremendous at ES scoring and plays a lot with Sid...another performance that's hard to replicate.

If Sid does fall off physically at all this year, I don't expect it to be any more than like 10%.
Yeah, sorry I was directing that at Goody specifically since he said he was there and sent a few pics.

I just always fear the day we get that first report that it looks like Sid has truly lost a full-step. I refuse to feel officially old until Sid retires, and when we hear that I know the writing will be on the wall.

I'm trying to look at Sid's production those last 13 games of the season (and yes I'm picking an amount of games that makes it look more rainbows and sunshine) where he had 25 pts with similar line-mates to who he will or should have this season. He mentioned in a presser that they were trending the right way last year and ran out of runway but want to keep building off that end of season momentum.

With a decent PP and staving off father time another season, I'm hopeful for another 90+ season or two until the league expands again and pumps scoring up just in time for him to hit his 40's.:cool:

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anomalies exist. Doesn't mean we should bank on them.

My point is that judging players based on stat lines while completely ignoring skillsets (like that McGroarty's shot is one of his strongest attributes) is silly.

McGroarty doesn't have Guentzel's upside most likely, but McGroarty's playstyle is extremely similar to Guentzel's. To say that he won't be a goal scorer in the NHL because of his college numbers is just an uneducated thing to say.

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
Tanger taking time after each turn in the drill to talk with whoever did the line rush with him. Bemstrom and Puus are going bar down everytime they shoot against Larsson in net. Knyzhov reminds of Paul Martin, very good skater but an absolute fluttering muffin of a shot.

Grylzcyk/Letang doing lots of work together now in a 2v2 drill as are Rakell/Gino in a surprise to nobody.

Pono centering Puus and Bemstrom, Gino centering Rak/Koiv

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Sid-Rust-Beau dominated pretty much every shift. Sid looked like Sid, all I can say. Still did his patened move where he gets the puck on the right side and glides behind the net and makes a play on the backhand.

Rutger-DOC-Poulin looked good. They definitely pushed the play towards the net and crashed. Rutger whiffed a couple chances in front for some garbage goals, but always seemed to anticipate where the puck would end up for rebounds/scrums.

A little note for us older guys who played during the 90s, Koiv and Pono both wear skates where the heels are white...shades of Fedorov/Gretzky. Both guys are flying.

Watching team 2 (Geno/Tang)practice now. Geno is coasting and looks so disinterested lol.
Don't know why more guys don't do it. Everyone knows wearing Fedorovs white Nike's shaves .91 seconds off your blueline to blueline.

Good to hear McGroarty is still anticipating at a high level and being in the right spots even against stiffer competition.

Also, very disappointed no one has given him the deep cut nickname of "Roy". Rutger, Rutger Hauer, Rutger Hauer played Roy Batty in Bladerunner. Roy kinda sounds like a part of McGroarty.

Bah, whatever.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Don't know why more guys don't do it. Everyone knows wearing Fedorovs white Nike's shaves .91 seconds off your blueline to blueline.

Good to hear McGroarty is still anticipating at a high level and being in the right spots even against stiffer competition.

Also, very disappointed no one has given him the deep cut nickname of "Roy". Rutger, Rutger Hauer, Rutger Hauer played Roy Batty in Bladerunner. Roy kinda sounds like a part of McGroarty.

Bah, whatever.

172a2464319c494df07a3f36adf86205.gif

• Love
Reactions: lokomotiv15

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think there is much to say about now, but I'm really interested in seeing the AHL goalies in pre-season games to see where they're at. They have a logjam between WBS and Wheeling with Blomqvist, Larsson, Gauthier and Murashov, I'm really curious to see how the goalies end up shaking out.

I think the best option for development is Blomqvist, Larsson and Gauthier in the AHL and Murashov in the ECHL, but I'd feel bad for Murashov to sign with the Penguins just to end up playing in Wheeling :laugh:

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
All I ever wanted were the white Fedorov skates. Tried a pair and they hurt like hell, and right back to the CCM Tacks or Bauer Vapors I went..

His skating is keeping up, wouldn't call him a burner, when his hands catch up to the pro pace i think he will be a menace down low. Ruger seemed like the obvious choice for a nickname especially the way he plays.

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
I don't think there is much to say about now, but I'm really interested in seeing the AHL goalies in pre-season games to see where they're at. They have a logjam between WBS and Wheeling with Blomqvist, Larsson, Gauthier and Murashov, I'm really curious to see how the goalies end up shaking out.
Larsson is currently getting lit up and Murashov is on the worst scrimmage team and got lit up earlier in his half. Gave the puck away trying to play it, fired a pass perfectly onto Puljus tape, who one timed into the empty net.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah, sorry I was directing that at Goody specifically since he said he was there and sent a few pics.

I just always fear the day we get that first report that it looks like Sid has truly lost a full-step. I refuse to feel officially old until Sid retires, and when we hear that I know the writing will be on the wall.

I'm trying to look at Sid's production those last 13 games of the season (and yes I'm picking an amount of games that makes it look more rainbows and sunshine) where he had 25 pts with similar line-mates to who he will or should have this season. He mentioned in a presser that they were trending the right way last year and ran out of runway but want to keep building off that end of season momentum.

With a decent PP and staving off father time another season, I'm hopeful for another 90+ season or two until the league expands again and pumps scoring up just in time for him to hit his 40's.:cool:
I see the Pens PP ceiling as like 18th in the league this season. To be 18th last year, they needed to score 14 more goals on the PP than they did. How many of those would Sid factor in on? Probably like 8, right?
So that'd be 8 additional points. The problem is I think he'll lose a lot more than 8 points at other situations.
The Pens also had the 7th most PP opportunities in the league last year. That could very well regress.

That's why it's hard for me to see another 90 point year, especially factoring in how hard it is to play all the games at age 37.

I would feel differently about his chances if Bunting was his LW, but I think Sullivan is saving him for Malkin.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I see they're trying to build chemistry with Hayes and Geno and I am fine with that as it would likely mean Glass is going to be C and honestly that's what I prefer to see him as if he's going to get a chance to succeed and he's healthy, go with the position he did do well in in his "breakout" year. I'd be fine taking those ideas into account and going with this:

Bunting, Crosby, Rust
Hayes, Malkin, Rakell
O'Connor, Glass, Puustinen
Beauvillier, Eller, Puljujarvi
Lizotte - 13th forward.

Acciari, Nieto, Bemstrom should all be waived, if any of them get claimed, great, if not, they can go be heroes in WBS.

Poulin I feel is likely going to get waived during the mass waives and see if they can sneak him through, McGroarty would benefit with top line minutes in WBS to start the season, get top PP and PK minutes, etc, being there and assessing his play in the first dozen games is good for him, also I am starting to like the way Kirk MacDonald thinks with his coaching and I think that would be better for his development than being brainwashed by Sullivan and his gimp, Quinn.

Especially with this sort of thing...

You don't want to rush a prospect like Rutger and f*** him up and I really think dipshits like Sullivan and Quinn can and will do that.

Looks like you have Lizotte as an extra?
People think Sully had a hard on for Harkins? Lizotte will be his wet dream. Wouldn't be surprised to see his career average 12:44 atoi jump to over 14:00 atoi.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It really comes down to what Sid feels and wants. I doubt Sully supersedes that.
If this is true, then this assumes Sid no longer wanted Guentzel. I highly doubt it.

Sid has less power than we expected, and this off-season proved it.

Geno is coasting and looks so disinterested lol.
That is Geno. He lulls opponents to sleep. Wait until someone hits him, then he turns green.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
I see the Pens PP ceiling as like 18th in the league this season. To be 18th last year, they needed to score 14 more goals on the PP than they did. How many of those would Sid factor in on? Probably like 8, right?
So that'd be 8 additional points. The problem is I think he'll lose a lot more than 8 points at other situations.
The Pens also had the 7th most PP opportunities in the league last year. That could very well regress.

That's why it's hard for me to see another 90 point year, especially factoring in how hard it is to play all the games at age 37.

I would feel differently about his chances if Bunting was his LW, but I think Sullivan is saving him for Malkin.
Yeah, that math checks out. Scored a point on 23 of the Pens 40 powerplay goals last season, makes for 8 on 14.

I'd love to say their ceiling is higher than slighty worse than middle of the pack, but I can't even fall back on anything more than a handful of games all season. I've also been advocating we switch it up to a 1-3-1 powerplay to create all those offence triangles and utilize Karlsson on the point more, but don't even know if we have the horses to fill it out properly at every other spot.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
O'Connor looked great on the first line down the stretch last season, in games that actually mattered. I don't see how Beauvillier, who has been a ghost since scoring a big playoff goal against us, gets a spot on this roster...let alone next to Crosby on Line 1!

Two of Beauvillier, Glass and Acciari should be waived at the end of camp.

Very encouraging about Puustinen, HOG. And the fact Ponomarev and Koivunen have been noticable can only help this organization moving forward.

St. Ivany is a very important piece for this team. His steadiness is more than necessary when compared to the other blueliners.
In games that mattered? That line was a disaster defensively. It did nothing you want to see out of a potential top line. Did it produce? Sure, but it did absolutely nothing defensively that made you think the line would dominate and Doc was mostly just a recipient of strong play by Sid and Rust, offensively.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I think the best option for development is Blomqvist, Larsson and Gauthier in the AHL and Murashov in the ECHL, but I'd feel bad for Murashov to sign with the Penguins just to end up playing in Wheeling :laugh:
They could loan Murashov to a European league team if they are pretty convinced that he won't be in the NHL this year.

They could triple somewhere. I would rather they send Gauthier to the ECHL than Murashov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad